Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Dahon mariner (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1138372)

gdlerner 03-15-18 03:29 AM

Dahon mariner
 
Hi folks,
Iam thinking to get a new bike just fir city rides
https://www.fahrrad-xxl.de/dahon-mariner-d7-x0038538
What do you thinks about the bike?

Bonzo Banana 03-15-18 04:08 AM

In my opinion that is poor value. It has a low end tourney derailleur and what looks like a freewheel typical of a sub 100 bike.

In UK money that is something like 450 but you can get a much better bike with 8 speed freehub drivetrain with Claris derailleur for half the money and seems to match or exceed the Dahon in every area except no rack or mudguards.

ALLOY FOLDING BIKE - Greenwaycycles

I wouldn't expect to pay 450 approx and get a tourney derailleur and such low end parts.

I don't know what else is available on the German market. I would at least look to get a Dahon with an 8 speed drivetrain. The Dahon looks like a very entry level bike with too many low end components.

Had a quick look on amazon germany and found this for 400 euros.

https://www.amazon.de/KLAPPRAD-FALTR...s=folding+bike

Nexus hub so no derailleur to damage on a pavement edge etc plus much easier shifting at any time. Normally you have to pay a premium to go from derailleur to hub gears but it's actually costing you less money.

gdlerner 03-15-18 06:14 AM


Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana (Post 20224155)
In my opinion that is poor value. It has a low end tourney derailleur and what looks like a freewheel typical of a sub 100 bike.

In UK money that is something like 450 but you can get a much better bike with 8 speed freehub drivetrain with Claris derailleur for half the money and seems to match or exceed the Dahon in every area except no rack or mudguards.

ALLOY FOLDING BIKE - Greenwaycycles

I wouldn't expect to pay 450 approx and get a tourney derailleur and such low end parts.

I don't know what else is available on the German market. I would at least look to get a Dahon with an 8 speed drivetrain. The Dahon looks like a very entry level bike with too many low end components.

Had a quick look on amazon germany and found this for 400 euros.

https://www.amazon.de/KLAPPRAD-FALTR...s=folding+bike

Nexus hub so no derailleur to damage on a pavement edge etc plus much easier shifting at any time. Normally you have to pay a premium to go from derailleur to hub gears but it's actually costing you less money.

The bike from amazon got a chainring with only 44 teeth,dahon 52 and the other bike in UK I don t know if you can put a rack

Bonzo Banana 03-15-18 06:47 AM


Originally Posted by gdlerner (Post 20224276)
The bike from amazon got a chainring with only 44 teeth,dahon 52 and the other bike in UK I don t know if you can put a rack

Dahon 52 but what is on the rear, if its a freewheel lets say of 14-32 then 52 x 14 x 20" wheels is not going to be that impressive for speed. The Greenway bike will definitely be faster as it has a stronger cassette on the rear which has a 12T cog although I guess this will depend on tyre size. The Amazon bike has hub gears so the chainring size is less critical. You could swap it for 52T if you wanted to but that might make the gearing too high. I think the Nexus hub is something like equivalent to 11-34T derailleur system in itself. I've seen Nexus cranksets as low as 33T I think maybe for a 700c wheel bike so 44T seems ok for a 20" wheel bike.

Yes I'm not sure the Greenway looks easy to take a rack but I guess my point was not recommending those 2 bikes just stating that your money can go a lot further than some low end freewheel equipped bike. There are probably dozens of models you can choose from with your budget and you can definitely afford a hub geared or freehub equipped bike you don't need to settle for something with walmart grade components.

gdlerner 03-15-18 08:13 AM

Which bike could you recommend me Form here
https://www.fahrrad-xxl.de/fahrraeder/klappraeder/radgroesse.20-zoll/rahmenmaterial.aluminium/?pfrom=400&pto=700&pfrom=400&pto=700&o=preis
Thank you

Bonzo Banana 03-15-18 02:55 PM


Originally Posted by gdlerner (Post 20224531)
Which bike could you recommend me Form here
https://www.fahrrad-xxl.de/fahrraede...to=700&o=preis
Thank you

My choice would be the Dahon Mu D10 at 699 euros down from 899. Yes it's a fair bit more expensive but the components look decent and its a much more premium bike. The Tern Link C8 while still tourney appears to be based on their TX freehub with a 8 speed cassette so that's also worth considering. The Tern Link C8 appears twice on the list once at 499 without lighting and again at 649 with lighting. 150 for lighting seems a bit over the top.

gdlerner 03-15-18 03:06 PM

Hi
I went to the shop because I want to see the bike life the dahon mariner and they didn t have it (online say in stock really sucks) from all the bikes the mariner is the light one 11,8kg
I also don t want to spend so much money on the bike .I don t want to be always thinking about the bike when I leave outside thats the reason I want a cheap bike
Thank you for your help

mirfi 03-15-18 06:05 PM

In Germany? For city rides? A MIFA 904 for your first folder. Then get on it and ride.

Bonzo Banana 03-16-18 03:07 AM


Originally Posted by gdlerner (Post 20225519)
Hi
I went to the shop because I want to see the bike life the dahon mariner and they didn t have it (online say in stock really sucks) from all the bikes the mariner is the light one 11,8kg
I also don t want to spend so much money on the bike .I don t want to be always thinking about the bike when I leave outside thats the reason I want a cheap bike
Thank you for your help

The trouble is freewheels, tourney derailleurs made of plastic, single wall rims (if it has those) are quite lightweight compared to an entry level freehub/cassette drivetrain and stronger double wall wheels. It may be a cheap bike in components but its not really in retail price. Anyway best of luck with your purchase whatever model you decide.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.