Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   My 1st ride in 22 years! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172375)

FlRon 05-07-19 07:43 AM

My 1st ride in 22 years!

OK, this is no big deal to anyone besides me, but this morning I rode a bike for one mile. After walking 2.6 miles, I decided today was the day that I was going to get back on. If you knew where I was 2 years ago when I couldnít even walk 2 blocks without chest pain, you would understand just how far Iíve come! Iím thrilled to be getting healthy again!

2cam16 05-07-19 07:54 AM

Welcome back into riding and congrats! Doesn't it fell great to be out there and ride? Keep on riding and enjoy!

BobbyG 05-07-19 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by FlRon (Post 20918034)
I rode a bike for one mile...

Yeah...one completely VICTORIOUS mile!

F'in Awesome!

go, Go, GO!

(...and it IS a big deal!)

rando_couche 05-07-19 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyg (Post 20918184)
(...and it is a big deal!)

yes!

Hondo Gravel 05-07-19 09:26 AM

OK, this is no big deal to anyone besides me, but this morning I rode a bike for one mile. After walking 2.6 miles, I decided today was the day that I was going to get back on. If you knew where I was 2 years ago when I couldnít even walk 2 blocks without chest pain, you would understand just how far Iíve come! Iím thrilled to be getting healthy again!

Then the next ride will be 1.2 miles and that is a big deal! After that 1.5 and increases every time out. Some people donít even try and you are not one of them.

Ogsarg 05-07-19 09:40 AM

Congratulations. Just keep riding. Enjoy your time on the bike and you'll be surprised to find how far you may end up going.

rutan74 05-07-19 10:12 AM

Keep going. That is all I can say.

My riding friend had triple bypass surgery last year and got back on the bike and rode incredibly well. Just 2 months ago, he had prostate surgery to remove it and we just did 26 this past Sunday. Are there issues? Yes, but he is back on and doing well.

So, keep going.

Brings back some memories of me complaining a bit when I pull up to a guy who is trashed and at his limit. Talking to him, I find out he had double hip replacements! Yikes. I have nothing to complain about. I rode with him the last 7 miles of the event just to make sure he would survive it. Then I also ran into a guy with an artificial leg. I thought I was having a tough day climbing and look over at this guy. Again, told the mind to shut up and just keep going that you have nothing to complain about.

So, moral of the story is, just keep the legs moving and remember, there is always someone out there that has it more difficult than you do. Just keep up the work and it will get better. Maybe not easier, but it will get better.

john

LesG 05-07-19 10:17 AM

Congratulations, I'd say that was a milestone (pun not intended) especially so considering just a short while ago 2 blocks was a challenge. Hang in there and build upon that.

Last ride 76 05-07-19 11:16 AM

:thumb:

And yeah, it matters...

FlRon 05-07-19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 20918062)
Welcome back into riding and congrats! Doesn't it fell great to be out there and ride? Keep on riding and enjoy!

It felt incredible!!

FlRon 05-07-19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by LesG (Post 20918332)
Congratulations, I'd say that was a milestone (pun not intended) especially so considering just a short while ago 2 blocks was a challenge. Hang in there and build upon that.

Thanks LesG,

I am motivated!

FlRon 05-07-19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by rutan74 (Post 20918316)
Keep going. That is all I can say.

My riding friend had triple bypass surgery last year and got back on the bike and rode incredibly well. Just 2 months ago, he had prostate surgery to remove it and we just did 26 this past Sunday. Are there issues? Yes, but he is back on and doing well.

So, keep going.

Brings back some memories of me complaining a bit when I pull up to a guy who is trashed and at his limit. Talking to him, I find out he had double hip replacements! Yikes. I have nothing to complain about. I rode with him the last 7 miles of the event just to make sure he would survive it. Then I also ran into a guy with an artificial leg. I thought I was having a tough day climbing and look over at this guy. Again, told the mind to shut up and just keep going that you have nothing to complain about.

So, moral of the story is, just keep the legs moving and remember, there is always someone out there that has it more difficult than you do. Just keep up the work and it will get better. Maybe not easier, but it will get better.

john

Thanks John. I too know what itís like to overcome a major heart attack and bypass surgery. Itís a long road back but one worth the efforts.

Darth Lefty 05-07-19 03:24 PM

Nice!

OldTryGuy 05-07-19 04:30 PM

:thumb: :thumb:

DowneasTTer 05-08-19 04:46 AM

OK, this is no big deal to anyone besides me, but this morning I rode a bike for one mile. After walking 2.6 miles, I decided today was the day that I was going to get back on. If you knew where I was 2 years ago when I couldn’t even walk 2 blocks without chest pain, you would understand just how far I’ve come! I’m thrilled to be getting healthy again!

This is in fact a BIG DEAL to many of us older folk. Where in the sunshine state do you live? There are many of great rides in the state and they can be done all year long. You just need to adjust your riding times to the heat or lack of. I know exactly how you feel as I found out I have congestive heart failure 8 years ago. For the longest time (to me anyway or and maybe my wife) I couldn't even walk to the mail box and back without stopping a few times. Two years ago my wife and I had our personal best year over 12,000 miles. It takes a while but you will feel better and better just take it one step at a time. Welcome back to life.... as a friend of mine likes to say " I want to wear out not rust out".

dennis336 05-08-19 05:11 AM

Very big deal! Thanks for sharing and keep riding and keep us posted on your progress!

Gerry221 05-08-19 06:01 AM

Fantastic!

I started off going 2 miles....then thought I might need a taxi home!

Brilliat, inspirational story......keep the legs spinning buddy!

Moe Zhoost 05-08-19 07:02 AM

Excellent. You'll find that your rides will get longer and longer with not much effort. Bicycles are liberating.

bruce19 05-08-19 08:09 AM

Truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

FlRon 05-08-19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer (Post 20919514)
This is in fact a BIG DEAL to many of us older folk. Where in the sunshine state do you live? There are many of great rides in the state and they can be done all year long. You just need to adjust your riding times to the heat or lack of. I know exactly how you feel as I found out I have congestive heart failure 8 years ago. For the longest time (to me anyway or and maybe my wife) I couldn't even walk to the mail box and back without stopping a few times. Two years ago my wife and I had our personal best year over 12,000 miles. It takes a while but you will feel better and better just take it one step at a time. Welcome back to life.... as a friend of mine likes to say " I want to wear out not rust out".

I live in SW Florida. Ditto about the heat. Ive already adjusted my daily walk time to earlier in the morning due to the heat. Sounds like you and your wife are quite a team! Congrats to both of you!

FlRon 05-08-19 12:42 PM

Thanks Dennis. Will do!

FlRon 05-08-19 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gerry221 (Post 20919568)
Fantastic!

I started off going 2 miles....then thought I might need a taxi home!

Brilliat, inspirational story......keep the legs spinning buddy!

Thanks Gerry! Iím going for two miles in the morning.

FlRon 05-08-19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 20919726)
Truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Bruce. Means a lot!

horatio 05-08-19 12:52 PM

Congrats! Feels great, doesn’t it?

FlRon 05-08-19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 20920136)
Congrats! Feels great, doesnít it?

It does feel great! Actually, Iím surprised at just how liberating that first ride felt. This will sound corny, but it was like reuniting with an old friend.