Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Shoes: Any experience with Giro Factor Techlace or Fizik R3 Aria? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1183435)

rodey 09-11-19 01:11 PM

Shoes: Any experience with Giro Factor Techlace or Fizik R3 Aria?

Anyone have any experience with either of these two pairs of shoes? I bought a pair of Mavic Cosmic Pros in May, but they're just not getting comfortable, so I'm going to look to sell them.

Anyhow, I'm looking at the Giro Factor Techlace and Fizik R3 Aria (2018). A few good deals out there for these, which is part of my reasoning for picking these two out of the bunch.

No experience with Giro in general. I do have a Fizik saddle that I love.

I realize fit/shoe is a very personal thing, I'm just looking for some honest opinions/reviews from anyone who may have worn either of these.

Sy Reene 09-11-19 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by rodey (Post 21118208)
Anyone have any experience with either of these two pairs of shoes? I bought a pair of Mavic Cosmic Pros in May, but they're just not getting comfortable, so I'm going to look to sell them.

Anyhow, I'm looking at the Giro Factor Techlace and Fizik R3 Aria (2018). A few good deals out there for these, which is part of my reasoning for picking these two out of the bunch.

No experience with Giro in general. I do have a Fizik saddle that I love.

I realize fit/shoe is a very personal thing, I'm just looking for some honest opinions/reviews from anyone who may have worn either of these.

Will let you know soon when my Factors arrive. FWIW, I have Cosmic Pros, as well as Giro ACC model -- supposedly close match in fit to the factors. Sizing and width is pretty comparable between Mavic and Giro as far as I can tell (though I'm up in the high end of sizing -- I have 48-2/3 (what a weird size) Mavics, and wear 49s in Giro (and indeed, the Giros are a wee bit longer). Typically I replace the insoles in my shoes, so can't really compare them (I recommend the Sole Thin Sport moldables).

rodey 09-11-19 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21118473)
Will let you know soon when my Factors arrive. FWIW, I have Cosmic Pros, as well as Giro ACC model -- supposedly close match in fit to the factors. Sizing and width is pretty comparable between Mavic and Giro as far as I can tell (though I'm up in the high end of sizing -- I have 48-2/3 (what a weird size) Mavics, and wear 49s in Giro (and indeed, the Giros are a wee bit longer). Typically I replace the insoles in my shoes, so can't really compare them (I recommend the Sole Thin Sport moldables).

Interesting. So Giro runs a bit longer? I usually buy 44.5 or 45 in cycling shoes, depending on brand, etc. My foot measures 10.5".

Sy Reene 09-12-19 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by rodey (Post 21118668)
Interesting. So Giro runs a bit longer? I usually buy 44.5 or 45 in cycling shoes, depending on brand, etc. My foot measures 10.5".

No, I think Mavic and Giro run the same size. IF my Mavics were available in size 49 I think they'd be the same size as my Giro size 49, but they aren't. 48.66 is Mavic's largest size. I also think my old Sidis are sized the same if this helps.

jad3675 09-12-19 05:38 AM

Fizik and Giro run a half size bigger than Shimano. I'm a 44 in Shimano and wear a 43.5 in both Giro and Fizik (and a 43 in Sidi) - with a pinky's worth of space in the toe box. Street shoes I wear a 44 in Adidas.

I have Giro Sentrie Techlace currently. The Techlace system takes a bit to get right - you can't just jam it closed like a velcro strap - you need to adjust the laces then close it with the velcro tab. The swap-able arch support is great though.

John

rodey 09-12-19 07:26 AM

I went ahead and ordered the Giro Factor Techlace. They were $155 on Competitive Cyclist and I couldn't pass up that deal. The Fizik's were $80-ish more.

I went with a 44.5. My Mavic's are size 46, but I'm pretty sure they're too big. I re-measured my foot last night because I've had fit issues with just normal shoes recently. My longer foot is just over 10.5". I've always bought 11.5 in shoes. Whoops. No wonder when I got fitted for running shoes I was surprised to be thrown into an 11. :lol:

Hoping the 44.5 works. Will be bummed if they don't. But per Giro's site, the 44.5 is equivalent to an 11, so theoretically they should.

woodcraft 09-12-19 09:35 AM

My foot is 10 1/4", & I wear size 45 Giros- a bit big, but 44 1/2 is too small.

rodey 09-12-19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21119419)
My foot is 10 1/4", & I wear size 45 Giros- a bit big, but 44 1/2 is too small.

Well damn, that sucks to know. What's the difference between 44.5 and 45? Giro's site lists them both as US 11.

woodcraft 09-12-19 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by rodey (Post 21119764)
Well damn, that sucks to know. What's the difference between 44.5 and 45? Giro's site lists them both as US 11.

'Bout a half size.:)

Some folks order a couple & plan on sending back what doesn't fit.

rodey 09-12-19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21119774)
'Bout a half size.:)

Some folks order a couple & plan on sending back what doesn't fit.

Guess I'll just have to hope they fit. Feet are a weird thing, so who knows. The only other size they had in stock was a 45.5, so I might be out of luck if these don't work.

Is there a general guideline when it comes to how much space between the and front of show there should be with cycling shoes? I know with street shoes I've always operated with a thumb width.

I feel pretty confident my shoes now are too large, as getting clears in the right position over the widest part of my foot is barely possible.

DrIsotope 09-12-19 01:37 PM

I've got probably around 7,000 miles on a pair of Giro Code Techlace-- which is the same shoe just with an MTB 2-bolt outsole, and more expensive. I've no complaints. They're pretty much sneaker comfortable. I wear an EU48, they fit true-to-size-- I also wear EU48 in Shimano and Diadora.

GoodNewsEvery1 09-12-19 04:44 PM

I just got a pair of factors in 44.5 in the mail. I usually wear 10.5-11 and my foot is about 10.5 inches long and these fit me. I also have super narrow feet.

Sy Reene 09-12-19 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by rodey (Post 21119223)
I went ahead and ordered the Giro Factor Techlace. They were $155 on Competitive Cyclist and I couldn't pass up that deal. The Fizik's were $80-ish more.

I went with a 44.5. My Mavic's are size 46, but I'm pretty sure they're too big. I re-measured my foot last night because I've had fit issues with just normal shoes recently. My longer foot is just over 10.5". I've always bought 11.5 in shoes. Whoops. No wonder when I got fitted for running shoes I was surprised to be thrown into an 11. :lol:

Hoping the 44.5 works. Will be bummed if they don't. But per Giro's site, the 44.5 is equivalent to an 11, so theoretically they should.

After I told you Mavics and Giro were pretty darn close in sizing, you went 1-1/2 sizes smaller (or did you mean 45.5 by chance)? Oh, and SteepandCheap would have been a better deal and it's the same company as Comp Cyclist.

You also have to be wary about anecdotes of "i wear a size 11 usually..." etc. Size 11 in which brand and type of shoe? I wear a US size 13 in most every american dress shoe, a size 14 in most every athletic/skate/running shoe. A pair of boots from the UK though, I'm in a 46. My cycling shoes seems 49 is correct. Not sure why there's no universal truth in shoe sizing, it's a mess. And Comp Cyclists filter for shoe sizing is wack as it's all US size based when generally NO cycling shoe sold today is actually labelled in US sizing.

rodey 09-13-19 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21120157)
After I told you Mavics and Giro were pretty darn close in sizing, you went 1-1/2 sizes smaller (or did you mean 45.5 by chance)? Oh, and SteepandCheap would have been a better deal and it's the same company as Comp Cyclist.

You also have to be wary about anecdotes of "i wear a size 11 usually..." etc. Size 11 in which brand and type of shoe? I wear a US size 13 in most every american dress shoe, a size 14 in most every athletic/skate/running shoe. A pair of boots from the UK though, I'm in a 46. My cycling shoes seems 49 is correct. Not sure why there's no universal truth in shoe sizing, it's a mess. And Comp Cyclists filter for shoe sizing is wack as it's all US size based when generally NO cycling shoe sold today is actually labelled in US sizing.

I went with a 44.5 because my Mavic's are too big. They're 46 and I have over a thumb's width in the toe. So, it was either 44.5 or 45.5 available and I figured the 44.5 is actually closer to what my foot is (after I re-measured).

Like I said, feet are weird. I wear most dress/casual/street shoes in 11.5. but, I also have a pair of Adidas sneakers in 12. And while they're clearly too large because I can do a thumb's width and a half between my big toe and shoe end, they're comfy and I'm never had discomfort. On the contrary, I have a pair of Birkenstock's in 44 and they fit perfectly. My running shoes are also pretty comfy and are size 11.

I just went with the option that seemed closest to my foot size with giving a little, but not too much, theoretical room. If they don't fit, I'll return them.

Thanks for the tip about Steep and Cheap. Never have heard of them.