Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Be careful with those adjustable stems ... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1196540)

UsedToBeFaster 03-25-20 04:02 PM

Be careful with those adjustable stems ...

I just had one fail. The teeth that bind them together some how came loose under minimum pressure. A stem failure is really a bad thing, fortunately it was low speed.

noodle soup 03-25-20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster (Post 21383517)
I just had one fail. The teeth that bind them together some how came loose under minimum pressure. A stem failure is really a bad thing, fortunately it was low speed.

my shop sells a buttload of bikes with those stems, and I always talk to the buyers about that problem.

UsedToBeFaster 03-25-20 04:21 PM

Not just the failure but the type of failure ...

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21383531)
my shop sells a buttload of bikes with those stems, and I always talk to the buyers about that problem.

What's very disturbing is the type of failure. The stem was in the Honeymooner's D$#K position (i.e. +45 degrees) nice and tightly screwed in. It failed by dropping to the Retiree's position (i.e. -45 degrees) and is STILL tightly screwed in! Go figure how that happened.

I haven't torqued the stem in 1 month and its been solid till now.

noodle soup 03-25-20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster (Post 21383541)
What's very disturbing is the type of failure. The stem was in the Honeymooner's D$#K position (i.e. +45 degrees) nice and tightly screwed in. It failed by dropping to the Retiree's position (i.e. -45 degrees) and is STILL tightly screwed in! Go figure how that happened.

I haven't torqued the stem in 1 month and its been solid till now.

the bolt underneath is important too.

I really hate those stems.

eflayer 03-25-20 05:49 PM

what brand of stem

lots of em on ebay and some are really cheap. the latest one from Ritchey seems bullet proof. two locking bolts; one on each side:

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bi...djustable-stem

datlas 03-25-20 05:53 PM

These make sense to have in the shop for fit issues but maybe not so much on the road for daily use.

smashndash 03-25-20 06:04 PM

Had a buddy take his first spill because of one of these on his old fuji road bike. I would never trust one of those for spirited riding, forget about 50mph descents. Stems are too cheap for me to take that kind of risk. Agree that they might be ok for short term experimentation.

colnago62 03-26-20 09:38 AM

Was it Look that made those really nice adjustable stems. You would see them at the track a lot back in the day. I would love to own one.

MKahrl 03-27-20 07:18 AM

Adjustable stems are the result of about three decades of bike manufacturers and bike retailers selling bikes to recreational cyclists with handlebars much lower than than the bike seats. I don't know how they managed to pull it off, selling bikes that did not fit their customers, but they did.

eduskator 03-27-20 07:24 AM

Don't like 'em at all... One piece for the win!

noodle soup 03-27-20 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by MKahrl (Post 21385984)
Adjustable stems are the result of about three decades of bike manufacturers and bike retailers selling bikes to recreational cyclists with handlebars much lower than than the bike seats. I don't know how they managed to pull it off, selling bikes that did not fit their customers, but they did.

They are quite common on comfort bikes, but not many drop bar bikes use them.

colnago62 03-27-20 12:15 PM

Here it is

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...81e56970f.jpeg

Rides4Beer 03-27-20 08:15 PM

Wow, you couldn't pay me to ride with that stem. Didn't even know those were a thing. :eek:

colnago62 03-27-20 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 21387146)
Wow, you couldn't pay me to ride with that stem. Didn't even know those were a thing. :eek:

Track Sprinters like them because it is easier to dial your position in. The look heavy.

Kimmo 03-27-20 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21383560)
I really hate those stems.

+1.

I always word folks up about the dodginess and ridiculous weight, and tell them to use it to figure out what angle fixed stem they want and ditch it.

Racing Dan 03-28-20 12:36 AM

Being scared of an adjustable stem is like being scared the wheels fall off or the seat post sliding into the frame for no reason, or whatever. Im sure lots of garbage is available, but there is nothing inherently wrong with the concept, outside of possible bad engineering and manufacturing. Obviously a one piece stem is lighter and stiffer and cheaper, but its only better if it fits.

Reminds me that no one seem to care, or even praise, most wheels come with all sorts of adapters to make them fit several types of frames. Imo the same principle apply. Simple is better. A hub that is designed to fit one system, is likely to have fewer parts and have the rotor, flanges and free wheel in the most optimal place.

Kimmo 03-28-20 04:04 AM

Disgust is more apt than fear.

Bah Humbug 03-28-20 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 21387172)
Track Sprinters like them because it is easier to dial your position in. The look heavy.

But once they know their position, why not switch to a fixed stem? Their positions can't be changing that often, and you don't usually get into track cycling with no idea of your position anyway.

colnago62 03-30-20 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21387502)
But once they know their position, why not switch to a fixed stem? Their positions can't be changing that often, and you don't usually get into track cycling with no idea of your position anyway.

Probably some do. Some have needs that are not met by the standard stems available.

sjh953 03-30-20 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster (Post 21383517)

UsedToBeFaster: Thanks for starting this thread. Read it the other day, and immediately switched out the adjustable stem I had installed and went back to the original solid stem that the bike came with. Hadn't been having any issues, but your comment, plus those that followed, convinced me the stem was a weak point that presented an unnecessary risk.