Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Dura Ace 9000 CL 24's: a worthy upgrade? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1010114)

Porschefan 05-24-15 03:02 PM

Dura Ace 9000 CL 24's: a worthy upgrade?

(UPDATE: see posts below for a great solution to the search "problem."Disclaimer: I've tried searching the BF site for more data, but as usual, the search function with the standard forum software leaves a lot to be desired--phrases like "Dura Ace 9000 CL 24" don't bring up a single reference. I think the poor search engine in the forum software is at least partially responsible for the posting of redundant threads, but realize this is the software developers' problem. (UPDATE: see posts below for a great solution to the search "problem.")

I've been thinking about the possibility of upgrading the stock wheels on my 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, but being pretty inexperienced I'd like to get something that would result in a real PERCEIVED difference, even for someone at my level.

What got me started thinking more or less seriously along these lines were seeing Dura Ace 9000 CL 24 wheels available for sub-$1000 prices and, of course, sometimes less for used sets. I started off thinking about spending ~$500.00, but these are priced around $800, more or less, which I am willing to spend if it makes sense. These wheels seem to be a nice combination of light weight, high-quality (Dura Ace 9000 hubs and skewers) and, to me, good looks. I also like the idea that the combination alloy/composite construction provide a metallic braking surface.

Does anyone here have experience with this particular wheelset upgrade?

Are there any alternative recommendations that would yield the same or better bang-for-the-buck?

I know that I don't NEED these wheels and the maxim about "Don't buy upgrades, ride UP GRADES" applies...but this is play money to some extent. I just don't want to spend the $$ and end up with a "meh...." afterwards. I'd much prefer whatever the opposite of "meh" is.... :)

STP

GuitarBob 05-24-15 03:33 PM

I suspect that most everyone would agree that the CL 24s are "a nice combination of light weight, high-quality..." It's where I settled out after going through the same gyrations. Does that mean you will surely perceive a difference relative to your current wheelset? I don't know, probably, but I suspect that depends on your current wheelset and you.

I know, I'm not offering much help. They are indeed a very nice wheelset. Whether they are best for you, well that has to be your call.

IcySmooth52 05-24-15 03:33 PM

I'd save the $ towards another higher-end bike in a few years. Shimano CL-24s seem overkill for your Domane 4.3.

dtrain 05-24-15 03:41 PM

6800 or rs81 seem like a better match for the bike (value-wise). I don't think you'll say 'meh', but don't expect miracles.

Ben I. 05-24-15 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by IcySmooth52 (Post 17833543)
I'd save the $ towards another higher-end bike in a few years. Shimano CL-24s seem overkill for your Domane 4.3.

+1

I'd either save up for a higher-end bike or lower your specs on the wheelset. I recently just got myself a set of Ultegra wheels and really like them. As people at the bike shop said, and I agree, not a huge point in upgrading to carbon wheels unless they're full carbon. In many cases, carbon wheels that still have an alloy brake surface aren't that much lighter but cost more.

GuitarBob 05-24-15 04:14 PM

If you're happy with your frame, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting "better" wheels because those will stay with you when/if you upgrade your frame.

Of course, that from a guy whose wheels are worth about the same as his frame.

FIVE ONE SIX 05-24-15 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by dtrain (Post 17833556)
6800 or rs81 seem like a better match for the bike (value-wise).

+1! me personally, i'd go with the rs81's, you can get them at Bike24 pretty cheap. i got a set of 6800's last year, and while they're a really good wheelset for around $300, if i had to do it over again i would definitely spend more for the RS81's. they're the closest things you'll get to a Dura-Ace wheelset for about half the price or so...

fstshrk 05-24-15 05:59 PM

Get a power meter instead unless you already have one.

jeff@work 05-24-15 07:25 PM

I have an older version of the C24's and love them. I upgraded to them from Neuvation M28's on a Mongoose Bosberg... oh the horror... nicer wheels than frame... and it was a noticeable difference to me. It's not like i rolled out the door and was suddenly cruising 3 mph faster but i could feel a difference and I was glad I bought them. I later upgraded my frame to a Time... and didn't have to then upgrade my wheels to match the frame... that was nice...

jeff@work 05-24-15 10:18 PM

I should follow up with... value wise I'd probably go with the RS81 version myself... when i bought my DA C24's I got them for like $550ish... comparing prices between the currentl RS81 and DA I couldn't justify spending an extra $300+ to save 100 grams.

I just find the whole wheels not worth of your fame mindset silly.

cthenn 05-24-15 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by fstshrk (Post 17833886)
Get a power meter instead unless you already have one.

Totally agree.

Kimmo 05-24-15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Porschefan (Post 17833477)
poor search engine

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dura...bikeforums.net

Porschefan 05-25-15 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kimmo (Post 17834439)

Poor search engine user! (Me.)

Thanks for the example--that will come in handy.

STP

Kimmo 05-25-15 12:22 AM

Damn straight it's handy ;)

Porschefan 05-25-15 07:00 PM

OP here. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

I'm going to investigate the RS 81's for sure--they sound like a great value proposition.

Users on another forum have suggested Campy Zonda's also and I may check them out too....but the C 24's seem to be a slight cut above?

RE the power meter---that's on my list too. :) I think that's the way to go as far as training goes. I've progressed from nothing to HR monitoring and am eager to take the next step in that area.

RE a better frame---one of these days, for sure.

And thanks again to Kimmo for the GREAT search-engine tip. That's going to make my life easier for sure.

STP

STP

Caliwild 05-26-15 12:17 PM

c24s

I might be odd man out, but I upgraded to C24s from my Fulcrum Racing 3s and was definitely underwhelmed. Yes, they're lighter but I noticed no advantage climbing, accelerating, etc. I finally settled on some deep carbon (58 mm) wheels from FFWD and I am MUCH happier. They hold speed really well, look much better than the bland shimanos, and even though they weigh more, I don't notice. I'd look at Fulcrum Racing 1s if you want to save weight. Good luck! :thumb:

Originally Posted by Porschefan (Post 17836461)
OP here. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

I'm going to investigate the RS 81's for sure--they sound like a great value proposition.

Users on another forum have suggested Campy Zonda's also and I may check them out too....but the C 24's seem to be a slight cut above?

RE the power meter---that's on my list too. :) I think that's the way to go as far as training goes. I've progressed from nothing to HR monitoring and am eager to take the next step in that area.

RE a better frame---one of these days, for sure.

And thanks again to Kimmo for the GREAT search-engine tip. That's going to make my life easier for sure.

STP

STP

Nachoman 05-26-15 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Porschefan (Post 17834509)
Poor search engine user! (Me.)

Thanks for the example--that will come in handy.

STP

This could also come in handy.
How to do Search on Bike Forums

Porschefan 05-26-15 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Caliwild (Post 17838589)
I might be odd man out, but I upgraded to C24s from my Fulcrum Racing 3s and was definitely underwhelmed. Yes, they're lighter but I noticed no advantage climbing, accelerating, etc. I finally settled on some deep carbon (58 mm) wheels from FFWD and I am MUCH happier. They hold speed really well, look much better than the bland shimanos, and even though they weigh more, I don't notice. I'd look at Fulcrum Racing 1s if you want to save weight. Good luck! :thumb:

Interesting, especially since there is a very good deal on some Fulcrum 3's take-offs on the Paceline classifieds right now. Decisions, decisions. :)

Porschefan 05-26-15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 17838799)
This could also come in handy.
How to do Search on Bike Forums

Excellent reference--thanks! :thumb:

fa63 05-26-15 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Porschefan (Post 17839488)
Interesting, especially since there is a very good deal on some Fulcrum 3's take-offs on the Paceline classifieds right now. Decisions, decisions. :)

Don't overthink, just buy those :)

roadie276 05-26-15 09:09 PM

I ordered some RS80's (model prior to the current RS81's) and due to a warranty problem got a free upgrade to the Dura Ace CL-24's. : ) I don't know how perceptibly different they really are, but I've been quite happy with them as they seem like really good lightweight/climbing wheels and decent all purpose wheels in general. As a bonus, I've hit some decent sized potholes and have yet to have a wheel even come out of true (I'm not a clydesdale but am far from a lightweight). I liked the idea of getting some of the benefits of carbon fiber (lighter weight, vibration absorbing) without mucking around w/carbon braking surfaces. I'd recommend at least considering the RS81's if you want a wheel in this class, as they seem to be pretty great bang for the buck. My two cents.

SkyeC 05-26-15 09:54 PM

I've had a couple sets of them and they're good wheels. Most of my wheelsets are within 1-200g of these so do I notice anything, really? No.

I only ever notice wheelsets that are close to 2000g and feel like total crap or fun wheels like deep carbon that go like hell on flat ground.

juanebici 05-26-15 10:08 PM

I have the C24s, which replaced the stock Mavic Aksium Race wheels, on my Jamis Xenith. I got them for $700 from PBK and at that price you can't go wrong. They climb and roll great, they just go. I have also hit a few potholes with no issues. I did considered the RS81s, but when I saw the C24s for that price I had to get them!