Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Dress pants for commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175598)

matimeo 06-13-19 07:23 PM

Dress pants for commuting
 
I recently posted about my new commuter I built to facilitate a shorter commute. The idea is to be able to wear my work clothes and not have to change, saving the time and hassle.

I'm looking for a recommendation for dress pants that will fit the bill. They need to meet the following requirements:

1. Need to be comfortable to ride in on a 2 mile commute.
2. Machine washable
3. Can't be dockers or khacki style pants- have to be dress pants (my work dress code is business formal, slacks, tie, etc).
4. Relatively durable

A quick search pulls up something like this, but is love to hear any personal experiences.

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Heusen-Mens-Sraight-Front/dp/B07B326C6R/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=8VJ1X38YRA3265TX99TE

oldgeezerjeff 06-13-19 08:00 PM

UnderArmor makes some nice "dress" pants that are made with a light weight, somewhat stretchy easy care fabric. They are actually golf pants, but they look real nice and they have relatively tight cuffs. I own 4 pair and have worn them at work for a couple years now. They hold up really well. They are slightly pricey, but well worth the money. I do not wear work clothes on my commute as I ride 14 and 1/2 miles each way...but I do carry them rolled up in my backpack and they always look nice at work. If they do get any wrinkles in the backpack, they just fall out shortly after putting them on. I highly recommend them.

Hub Spanner 06-13-19 09:23 PM

Bluffworks
 
I love my Bluffworks pants. Their Gramercy model is their dressiest.

I have a three mile commute each way.

fietsbob 06-14-19 08:21 AM

Polyester fabrics are more durable than cotton or wool.. black wont show chain contact..

tried any Charity shops? clothes get resold there..

pdlamb 06-14-19 08:59 AM


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20978373)
Polyester fabrics are more durable than cotton or wool.. black wont show chain contact..

Agree on the polyester. I suspect you'll find the crotch of any dress pants wear out faster when you're cycling -- one reason I prefer to wear cycling shorts and change at work.

Bandera 06-14-19 09:42 AM

Coming from many years in a Business dress environment I think you'll find that the cut and materials of dress pants are as suitable to cycle commuting as wearing the suit-coat and tie that completes the wardrobe: hardly at all. A decent suit with the traditional two pair of pants will last through years of wear in it's intended environment with regular dry cleaning. Worn on the bike the crotch will quickly wear through on the trousers, the inevitable chain grease and snag will ruin them and replacement will be costly. The point of traditional business dress is to present a professional appearance to your associates, customers and partners. Worn, soiled or smelly doesn't exactly meet that requirement. The dress code is important to your employer or it would't exist, respecting it shows respect for the job.

Re-think changing from/to commuting kit to office wear daily.
Ask your supervisor about proper parking for your machine, where to clean-up and change and where to store your dress garb in off-hours.
Such accommodations are common today and should be worked out straight off.

Good luck on the new job.

-Bandera

matimeo 06-14-19 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by oldgeezerjeff (Post 20977818)
UnderArmor makes some nice "dress" pants that are made with a light weight, somewhat stretchy easy care fabric.

I'll have to look at these. I'll need to check them out somewhere local to make sure they look dressy enough.



Originally Posted by Hub Spanner (Post 20977911)
I love my Bluffworks pants. Their Gramercy model is their dressiest. I have a three mile commute each way.

Those look great, but wow, what a price tag! $140.



Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20978373)
Polyester fabrics are more durable than cotton or wool.. black wont show chain contact. tried any Charity shops? clothes get resold there..

I do frequent thrift stores, but it's hard enough to find good dress pants at most that fit. With the kinds of specifications I'm looking for, that might not be a good use of my time. Otherwise I'm all for thrift stores- that's where most of my rain gear has come from.


Originally Posted by Bandera (Post 20978526)
Coming from many years in a Business dress environment I think you'll find that the cut and materials of dress pants are as suitable to cycle commuting as wearing the suit-coat and tie that completes the wardrobe: hardly at all. A decent suit with the traditional two pair of pants will last through years of wear in it's intended environment with regular dry cleaning. Worn on the bike the crotch will quickly wear through on the trousers, the inevitable chain grease and snag will ruin them and replacement will be costly. The point of traditional business dress is to present a professional appearance to your associates, customers and partners. Worn, soiled or smelly doesn't exactly meet that requirement. The dress code is important to your employer or it would't exist, respecting it shows respect for the job.

Re-think changing from/to commuting kit to office wear daily.
Ask your supervisor about proper parking for your machine, where to clean-up and change and where to store your dress garb in off-hours.
Such accommodations are common today and should be worked out straight off.

As I said in my original post, my new commute is only two miles long, so the whole idea is to be able to avoid changing clothes when I get there, which I don't think should be a big deal. It's more about saving my time and being more convenient for me. I know the traditional business attire won't be very durable whilst bike riding, so I'm looking outside the box for some options that are still dressy enough, but that will be more durable and comfortable (as with the first couple of suggestions).

2bridges1bike 06-14-19 11:51 AM

Banana republic has a few “performance” dress pants. I haven’t tried them specifically but I have other performance items from them that have worked well. I just started using them this year so I can’t speak to their long term viability.

Also, don’t limit your self to machine washable. Many “dry clean” only items can be washed at home if you use the right detergent and have a hand wash cycle in your machine.

no motor? 06-14-19 12:04 PM

I can't answer your question, but my GF recently bought me a couple of pairs of cargo shorts at Costco that were made out of a synthetic material that made me think would make some good pants for riding in to a business casual job.

jade408 06-14-19 01:45 PM

Here are a few:
https://www.betabrand.com/mens/pants...-to-work-pants
https://www.kitandace.com/us/en/men/.../KMB10103.html

Eric S. 06-15-19 12:23 PM

I've had some Nike Dri-Fit golf pants for nearly 10 years. They don't really maintain a crease but I never need to iron them.

zenolee 06-18-19 06:43 PM

Uniqlo EZY Pants. They're stretchy and sporty, but at the office they look like wool slacks.

the_mahout 06-18-19 10:01 PM

I would think for a two mile commute you cold wear just about anything. I second the recommendation for the synthetic fiber Golf Pants. They are comfortable and typically have an athletic cut. They look good and can easily pass muster with a long sleeved dress shirt and loafers. Our dress code is not as relaxed as Business Casual but definitely not as tight as Business Formal. Try some on at you local Dick's Sporting Goods and see if they fit the bill.

mcours2006 06-19-19 05:24 AM

I was going suggest polyester golf pants as well.

jon c. 06-19-19 06:00 AM

Travelsmith sells a lot wrinkle free pants.

ironnerd 06-19-19 06:23 AM

I wear shorts and a t-shirt on the commute, then change into work clothes in the copy room. I just keep the work clothes neatly folded in a really big zip-top bag in my backpack. If anyone ever points out that my shirt is a little wrinkled, I explain that I velo-commute (I find using the word "velo" adds some "gravitas"), they are so enamoured with my commute option they forget all about my wrinkles.

Changing at work also means I don't have to worry about adding fenders to my bike. If I get striped by a puddle, it's ok, since I am changing anyway.

Darth Lefty 06-19-19 01:25 PM

I got some of those Costco pants @no motor? mentioned and I've shelved them. They're kind of stretchy and plasticky with a stealthy elastic waist band hidden by the pockets, and they wrinkle easily in the wash if you don't pull them out of the dryer right when it's done. Fine for cycling and really inexpensive. But they seem like something a mechanic would wear, maybe. Your coworkers would never, ever in a million years mistake them for wool suit pants.

wipekitty 06-20-19 10:44 AM

Wool is good (less stinky than synthetics, better with moisture than cotton), and many brands that specialize in mid-range professional attire now offer washable wool. It's best not to put the stuff in a heated dryer cycle, but it definitely survives machine washing.

I've always found tapered or slim leg trousers better on the bike than traditional wide suit pants that feel like jammies. There's a reason that urban hipster kids back in the day always wore skinny jeans; part of it was function. With the right shoes and socks, tapered/slim leg trousers are certainly smart enough for the office.

Get thee to the Republic of Bananas. They specialize in stuff that is appropriate for work, and I believe they are having a sale.

robertorolfo 06-20-19 12:56 PM

Step 1: Go to Zara (particularly when things are on sale)
Step 2: Buy some cheap but nice looking pants that are slim in the lower leg
Step 3: Ride, ride, ride, and dispose of this disposable clothing when it wears out

wipekitty 06-20-19 01:55 PM


Originally Posted by robertorolfo (Post 20988314)
Step 1: Go to Zara (particularly when things are on sale)
Step 2: Buy some cheap but nice looking pants that are slim in the lower leg
Step 3: Ride, ride, ride, and dispose of this disposable clothing when it wears out

Yes! Zara is good, too. Their twice-a-year sale just started (online, at least.)

robertorolfo 06-20-19 01:57 PM


Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 20988402)
Yes! Zara is good, too. Their twice-a-year sale just started (online, at least.)

Yes, and I forgot to point out that the slimmer fitting styles don't need to be clipped or tucked in. Unless you have a funky pedal stroke, your pants will be nowhere near your chain.

yeah_oui 06-23-19 08:42 PM


Originally Posted by matimeo (Post 20977765)
I recently posted about my new commuter I built to facilitate a shorter commute. The idea is to be able to wear my work clothes and not have to change, saving the time and hassle.

I'm looking for a recommendation for dress pants that will fit the bill. They need to meet the following requirements:

1. Need to be comfortable to ride in on a 2 mile commute.
2. Machine washable
3. Can't be dockers or khacki style pants- have to be dress pants (my work dress code is business formal, slacks, tie, etc).
4. Relatively durable

A quick search pulls up something like this, but is love to hear any personal experiences.

Lululemon makes pants just for this either the ABC or Commission. The ABC pant is a little more casual than the commission pant. I have a pair of the ABC pants. Stretchy and breathable but look good with a dress shirt (seattle business casual here). I ride 2 miles to work, but its mostly down hill.

wsgts 06-25-19 07:13 PM

+1 Bluffworks
 

Originally Posted by Hub Spanner (Post 20977911)
I love my Bluffworks pants. Their Gramercy model is their dressiest.

I have a three mile commute each way.

I don't commute in bluffs, but they are the only work pants I own. One pair will last all week during work travel since you can wash them in a hotel shower and hang them up to dry.

wsgts

noobinsf 07-01-19 05:15 PM

I've had good luck with Perry Ellis Portfolio brand slacks that my wife tends to find for me at TJ Maxx. They're usually about $20, and I stick to navy, black, or grey. Polyester, flat front, slim fit, and they wash easily and hang dry well. My commute is about 4 miles one way. Dress code for me is business casual (slacks, dress shirt, tie). I work from home a couple days a week and don't always ride when I do go into the office, so I'm not the toughest customer and have not worn out a pair yet.

the sci guy 07-01-19 09:38 PM

Lululemon has a ton of pants like this. Their ABC pants are well known.

wphamilton 07-09-19 07:17 AM

I sometimes just wear regular dress pants while commuting, in nice weather anyway, and change to shorts for the home leg. While it's not strictly on topic, just saying that the alternative is not that bad.

Second Mouse 07-09-19 10:12 AM

Roundtree & Yorke at Dillard's. They've got several different styles - pleated, non-pleated, cuffed, no cuffs - as well as all cotton and cotton blends, and the linked ones are polyester. The ones I buy are all cotton, washable, they keep a crease pretty well, they're 2 pairs for $78 and they hold up pretty well. My commute is 8 miles each way, but pretty flat and dress code here is more casual than the OP's.

CrankyOne 07-10-19 08:45 PM

With a Dutch style bicycle (City Bikes | LocalMile) there is no worry of chains or grease or having to clip pants. A leather Brooks B67 allows the fabric to slide easier and so not wear out as fast as on other saddles. I've a B67 on my Workcycles Opafiets and do a lot of riding in dress pants (mostly wool, some cotton) and it works well.

JaccoW 07-11-19 07:58 AM

Get a Dutch style bike (full chain case) and either:
  1. Get multiple dress pants to spread wear.
  2. Get synthetic dress pants
I ride to work, between 5-40 km (3-25 miles) a day depending on if I commute in part by train, in regular (slightly stretchy) denim jeans and those last about 1-2 years before they wear through.

http://tkaniny.com.pl/photoNewsGalery/big/17864_big.jpg

Khb 07-11-19 12:03 PM

If "dress" doesn't have to be really dressy, https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-m...efault&start=2 I haven't used their pants that much, but I've been commuting for several years with their shirts (I change at the office in the morning; but wear the shirts back). Indeed, most of my Duluth shirts are 6++ years old, I bought them for trips to India and have used them as office attire since. Really hold up well.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.