Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXV (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177181)

BillyD 08-22-19 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21086739)
OSHA-approved footwear :thumb:

... and eyewear.

rjones28 08-22-19 07:15 AM

But he's wearing gloves.

#safetyfirst

indyfabz 08-22-19 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21086169)
My aunt ran a cafe when I was kid and I would bug her to give me a red quarter for the juke box. :D

So you were a juke box hero.

seedsbelize 08-22-19 07:32 AM

We live in a very different world. Far more civilized that we lived in Belize. But definitely not first world, thankfully. That would be unbearable.

datlas 08-22-19 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21087029)
So you were a juke box hero.

With stars in his eyes? Or singing I love rock n roll??

MoAlpha 08-22-19 07:37 AM

Continued failure to thrive. Weight is down despite good-faith efforts to eat more, and the strap on the badge holder I wear on my left arm on my ride to work is tightened all the way. Going to have to put in some serious gym time after our September cruise, which is also going cost me some of my dwindling body.

seedsbelize 08-22-19 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21087056)
Continued failure to thrive. Weight is down despite good-faith efforts to eat more, and the strap on the badge holder I wear on my left arm on my ride to work is tightened all the way. Going to have to put in some serious gym time after our September cruise, which is also going cost me some of my dwindling body.

Consumption?

ksryder 08-22-19 07:46 AM

Picked up the cat from her endoscopy yesterday. She has had a tough couple of days -- long drive to the veterinary school clinic, wasn't allowed to eat before the endoscopy, long drive back, plus the general fear that comes from being in a strange place with strange people.

We'll have to wait on biopsy results but the initial observations make us cautiously optimistic. No obvious signs of lymphoma and the vet said that, although lymphoma cannot be ruled out, it's moving lower on the list of possibilities.

She seems glad to be home although I suspect that is mostly based on food. We'll take it.

Of course I nearly had a heart attack when I got the bill but oh well... I guess I can put off buying that custom Ti bike for a while longer. (I've heard that the pros never adopted Ti anyway.0

Here's a picture of her as a kitten, 9 years ago, when my wife first got her.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...469c1f126f.jpg

MoAlpha 08-22-19 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21087071)
Consumption?

Interesting question. I have a positive PPD and quite a scattering of little, unexplained scars on my chest x-ray, but my Quantiferon GoldŽ test is negative, so the weight loss is just heavy exercise, old age, and failing appetite. I'm also feeling good and riding fast for me, and my blood numbers are normal, so I doubt it's anything else.

datlas 08-22-19 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21087079)
Interesting question. I have a positive PPD and quite a scattering of little, unexplained scars on my chest x-ray, but my Quantiferon GoldŽ test is negative, so the weight loss is just heavy exercise, old age, and failing appetite. I'm also feeling good and riding fast for me, so I doubt it's anything else.

Still too fat for this sport? We can have an addiction contest to see who has lowest BMI....I believe mine is currently 19.0, but when doing tris a few years ago was as low as 18.

MoAlpha 08-22-19 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21087085)
Still too fat for this sport? We can have an addiction contest to see who has lowest BMI....I believe mine is currently 19.0, but when doing tris a few years ago was as low as 18.

Mine is 21. It's the trend that has my slightly spooked.

What I am is too weak for this sport. I wish I were still able to run. I'd be kicking some age group ass.

rpenmanparker 08-22-19 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21086549)
I plan on using glue. I've read of too many negative aspects of tape. Mainly the clean-up process after tire removal. And I'm a bit of a purist, in some respects. Certainly not all. I have a really hard time driving to the beginning of a ride, for example. Though I'm happy to throw the bike in the car at the end, and ride home with my wife.

It is a very personal choice to be sure. But the cleanup of tape after removing a tire is a piece of cake compared to the cleanup of stray glue after mounting a tire. Gluing tape is brilliant.

datlas 08-22-19 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21087098)
Mine is 21. It's the trend that has my slightly spooked.

What I am is too weak for this sport. I wish I were still able to run. I'd be kicking some age group ass.

I miss the running too. Every 6 months or so, I pick it up again for a couple weeks until my body reminds me to stop.

WhyFi 08-22-19 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21087085)

Yeah, I'll be fighting for the lanterne rouge on this one.

WhyFi 08-22-19 08:19 AM

New tires seem spiffy enough. I'm debating whether or not to mount them now. The part of me that likes new toys says, "hell yeah!" The rational part says, "the current tires probably have another 100-200 miles in them." Then the part of me that likes new toys tries to get cute and out-rationalize the rational part by saying, "yeah, but what if patches start peeling off during the Saturday morning ride and then you have to scramble to make sure that the new tires are mounted, air-tight and ready to rock on Sunday morning? You have time now - you might want to take advantage of it."

MoAlpha 08-22-19 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21087106)
I miss the running too. Every 6 months or so, I pick it up again for a couple weeks until my body reminds me to stop.

Definitely hard on the skeletal system and it didn't get fun until I could go out and really roll for 10-15 mi. That always took me months.

BillyD 08-22-19 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21087098)

I find myself wishing I still had my HS hops as I shoot these HS kids and reminisce.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bd32e2477b.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...96d0e70c13.jpg

MoAlpha 08-22-19 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21087440)
I find myself wishing I still had my HS hops as I shoot these HS kids and reminisce.

Great pics!

Is there age-group hoops? Nice thing about running is there's always a big field of old crumbs to compete with.

2manybikes 08-22-19 11:09 AM

I wish I had my high school anything.

WhyFi 08-22-19 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 21087458)

Acne?

kissTheApex 08-22-19 11:17 AM

The first thing popped in to my mind as well.

LAJ 08-22-19 11:22 AM

Way cool pictures, Bill

kissTheApex 08-22-19 11:29 AM

Our first kittens (brothers) we adopted were FELV+ when we adopted them. The one chose me as his human barely made it 1 and a half. His downturn was so fast that I had to have the second one put to sleep within days of him starting to show labored breathing. Coming home from the vet with an empty cage was one of the hardest things I had to do :(.

Our current kittens (litter maidens) are one and a half now, and seem to be healthy, but understandably, I’m paranoid...
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2790f5beae.png

datlas 08-22-19 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 21087458)

I still have my high school sense of humor.

Wait, maybe I have my MIDDLE SCHOOL sense of humor. That's what my wife and kids tell me.

seedsbelize 08-22-19 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21087103)
It is a very personal choice to be sure. But the cleanup of tape after removing a tire is a piece of cake compared to the cleanup of stray glue after mounting a tire. Gluing tape is brilliant.

It'll be awhile until I actually get to it. I will take your advice along with the rest. Since I won't be doing tons of tubular riding, it might be a moot point(my fears). It does appear to be a foolproof method, for a first timer anyway. And what about changing a tire on the road? I would need to be carrying tape, no?