Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXV (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177181)

datlas 08-22-19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21087540)
It'll be awhile until I actually get to it. I will take your advice along with the rest. Since I won't be doing tons of tubular riding, it might be a moot point(my fears). It does appear to be a foolproof method, for a first timer anyway. And what about changing a tire on the road? I would need to be carrying tape, no?

You keep a spare tubular on you (traditionally under the saddle tied to the rails with an old toe strap, extra credit if Christophe), there should be enough glue residue on the rim to get you home.

seedsbelize 08-22-19 12:08 PM

My part in the electrical extravaganza is over, except for the back-filling once the concrete has set up. I can do that on my own time. Tomorrow morning I will be free to ride.

On the footwear issue: When we still lived in Ohio and I was carting my portable sawmill around, I went to the home of a couple where the husband was a Filipino woodcarver. I never saw him wearing anything other than flip flops while limbing and bucking logs, and carving with his chainsaw.

seedsbelize 08-22-19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21087543)
You keep a spare tubular on you (traditionally under the saddle tied to the rails with an old toe strap, extra credit if Christophe), there should be enough glue residue on the rim to get you home.

Even if I'm using tape?
I bought a Cannondale under seat bag a few months ago, because it was a good price, large, and Cannondale. Turns out it was built as a spare tubular sleeve. Predestiny.

BillyD 08-22-19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21087456)
Great pics!

Is there age-group hoops? Nice thing about running is there's always a big field of old crumbs to compete with.

Yes, a friend recently shared with me a pic of a contemporary we both know well who's still playing the senior circuit. I, myself hope to get back to a senior league I had to skip last year because of my shoulder rehab.

BillyD 08-22-19 12:28 PM

I still have my high school yearbook. Somewhere. I think.

rpenmanparker 08-22-19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21087570)
Even if I'm using tape?
I bought a Cannondale under seat bag a few months ago, because it was a good price, large, and Cannondale. Turns out it was built as a spare tubular sleeve. Predestiny.

Yeah, the air pressure will keep the tire on for careful riding. No screaming descents. You wouldn't want to tape your spare on the road. Most folks carry either an older, nearly used up tire as a spare or an inexpensive training tire. Dentists tend to carry the lightest, most expensive tire they can find as a spare, something like a track tire. :) But in any of those cases the spare isn't what you want to use day in and day out, so you don't make the tire change a permanent thing by taping it. What you can do is get a tube of glue and put a thin layer on the spare. After it dries there will still be enough tack left to provide you some extra security. And folding up that lightly glued tire for storage under your saddle or in your back pocket won't be terribly messy. And, like I said, with careful riding you won't have any worries. Then you just put the spare back under your seat when you make the more permanent installation of the road tire replacement back at the house.

MoAlpha 08-22-19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21087593)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2fa6b1ae8b.png

indyfabz 08-22-19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21087593)

I still have all four of mine. Senior years were hard.

seedsbelize 08-22-19 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21087607)
Yeah, the air pressure will keep the tire on for careful riding. No screaming descents. You wouldn't want to tape your spare on the road. Most folks carry either an older, nearly used up tire as a spare or an inexpensive training tire. Dentists tend to carry the lightest, most expensive tire they can find as a spare, something like a track tire. :) But in any of those cases the spare isn't what you want to use day in and day out, so you don't make the tire change a permanent thing by taping it. What you can do is get a tube of glue and put a thin layer on the spare. After it dries there will still be enough tack left to provide you some extra security. And folding up that lightly glued tire for storage under your saddle or in your back pocket won't be terribly messy. And, like I said, with careful riding you won't have any worries. Then you just put the spare back under your seat when you make the more permanent installation of the road tire replacement back at the house.

Thanks Penman. I watched a couple videos and am now shopping for tape. The earlier tape videos I watched the tape was very different.

indyfabz 08-22-19 01:56 PM

I'm going to grill a fish for dinner. Hopefully another pompano.

rpenmanparker 08-22-19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21087678)
Thanks Penman. I watched a couple videos and am now shopping for tape. The earlier tape videos I watched the tape was very different.

Some folks like other kinds, but I find the Tufo works very well. Tufo won't admit you can use it on other brands of tires, but I assure you, you can. The way you pull the release tape out from between the mounted tire and the glue tape, leaving the tire perfectly centered and the tire and rim completely clean is just amazing.

rpenmanparker 08-22-19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21087745)
I'm going to grill a fish for dinner. Hopefully another pompano.

Enjoy. Lots of folks really like pompano, and it is certainly a delicacy on the Gulf Coast. Honestly though we find the ultra fine texture to be somewhat offputting.

2manybikes 08-22-19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21087503)
I still have my high school sense of humor.

Wait, maybe I have my MIDDLE SCHOOL sense of humor. That's what my wife and kids tell me.

:lol:

2manybikes 08-22-19 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21087468)
Acne?

:lol: OK, almost everything.

Trsnrtr 08-22-19 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21087610)

You’re Jim Morrison?

2manybikes 08-22-19 07:10 PM

I need to learn how to multi quote.

gnome 08-22-19 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21087116)
Yeah, I'll be fighting for the lanterne rouge on this one.

I'll join you for that honour.

Trsnrtr 08-22-19 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21087570)
Even if I'm using tape?

Yep, the tubular bag of choice from my younger years.

Is there a train station logo on the bag? Cannondale was was a bag and rack maker before bicycles.

gnome 08-22-19 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21087503)
I still have my high school sense of humor.

Wait, maybe I have my MIDDLE SCHOOL sense of humor. That's what my wife and kids tell me.

"oh, grow up, Dad!" complete with the rolling eyes.

MoAlpha 08-22-19 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21088125)
You’re Jim Morrison?

Pretty much, but that was 1974, after he’d been dead for three years. I now look like a Jewish Mohandas K. Gandhi from the ascetic period, with a lightly used gym membership. ...or my avatar.

MoAlpha 08-22-19 07:19 PM

Any opinions on wheel-on smart trainers? Wife is interested and that would will help me justify it.

WhyFi 08-22-19 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21088143)
Any opinions on wheel-on smart trainers? Wife is interested and that would will help me justify it.

I've got a wheel-on dumb trainer and a power meter. If I were to upgrade, I'd prefer a direct drive (less noisy, no tire wear), but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

MoAlpha 08-22-19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21088148)
I've got a wheel-on dumb trainer and a power meter. If I were to upgrade, I'd prefer a direct drive (less noisy, no tire wear), but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

I’ve got a trainer wheel and tire for the dumb trainer already and folding would be nice for our tiny basement.

rjones28 08-22-19 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21087456)
Great pics!

I concur.

rjones28 08-22-19 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 21087458)
I wish I had my high school anything.

I still have my high school year book and my letter jacket.