Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXV (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177181)

MoAlpha 08-21-19 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21085943)
:bday:

Do you start your birthday on the day-hour-minute you were born?

I don't remember the precise time, but its starting to look that way, given that I'm stuck at work for the afternoon, supervising an incompetent person.

MoAlpha 08-21-19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 21085395)
But I didn't post pics so I realize it doesn't count/didn't happen/or that I actually died.

That's what I wanted to embed.

Trsnrtr 08-21-19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21085922)
Got it. Makes sense.

Do people even remember cut-out records? :50:

On a semi-related note, have you ever run across a quarter painted red with fingernail polish? You see one rarely nowadays but they were more common when I was a kid. I'll await answers. No fair Googling.

rjones28 08-21-19 01:37 PM

Got it. Makes sense.

Cut-outs were all I could afford, BITD.

indyfabz 08-21-19 01:38 PM

Yes.

datlas 08-21-19 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21085983)
On a semi-related note, have you ever run across a quarter painted red with fingernail polish? You see one rarely nowadays but they were more common when I was a kid. I'll await answers. No fair Googling.

I don’t recall that. But I do recall scouring my change for wheatie pennies (pre 1959) and silver dimes/quarters (pre 1965) back in the 1970’s.

rjones28 08-21-19 01:42 PM

Sure. I don't know the reason for the paint though.

indyfabz 08-21-19 01:56 PM

On a semi-related note, have you ever run across a quarter painted red with fingernail polish? You see one rarely nowadays but they were more common when I was a kid.

I have, but I never knew what they signified, and I didn't cheat.

kissTheApex 08-21-19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21085183)
Don’t remember, but Campagnolo heard what happened from Facebook and is flying over a new chain and a tech to install it.

#CampyDontBreak

Whoa! Respect

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21085778)

Also, I turn 63 in about 5.5 hrs.

Many happy and healthy returns of the day!

ksryder 08-21-19 02:21 PM

Yeah I'll bite, what did they mean?

datlas 08-21-19 02:40 PM

Just pulled 4 peaches off the tree. So sweet!

Most are about 2-3 days from peak ripeness so this weekend should be super peachy!

datlas 08-21-19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 21086072)
Yeah I'll bite, what did they mean?

I did not google but am guessing they may go through a vending machine and give you credit but also come back through the return slot?

Trsnrtr 08-21-19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21086116)
I did not google but am guessing they may go through a vending machine and give you credit but also come back through the return slot?

Yes, they’re juke box quarters. When things are dead in a bar or cafe, the proprietor uses a red quarter to liven the place up and then hopefully others will start putting money in the juke box. When the juke box guy comes around and empties the coins, he gives those back to the proprietor.

My aunt ran a cafe when I was kid and I would bug her to give me a red quarter for the juke box. :D

A cafe that I frequented till it closed around 1990 had a coffee cup full of painted quarters behind the counter and the waitress would plug one in the machine occasionally so I know they still did it up till then.

Anyway, you still run across one every now and then when you get change. I’ve also seen blue or green ones, too, but primarily, they’re red.

datlas 08-21-19 03:55 PM

More storms coming through!

rpenmanparker 08-21-19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21085255)
And, speaking of tires, can I stretch my tubulars over clincher rims, or do I need an extra tubular rim for that?

Tubulars require their own specific rim.

datlas 08-21-19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21086241)

I believe he is talking about pre-stretching before mounting.

Pirkaus 08-21-19 04:56 PM

Arcade quarter

seedsbelize 08-21-19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21086241)

And I have a pair enroute. It seems dumb (not as dumb as running) to have to have a third tubular rim just for stretching, when I have a plethora of clincher rims around.

seedsbelize 08-21-19 05:32 PM

We finished digging the trench today, with just a little bit of clean-up left to do, before interring the cable=laden conduit. My right hand man, age 34, and his right hand man, age 16, arrived to do the bulk of what was left. I did not get a HIIT workout in this morning, but I am plenty tired none=the=less.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d1bc94fd53.jpg
We had this baby in operation for three hours, to make our way across that 2 meter section of surface bedrock.
I think they managed to get 3" deep.

Makel 08-21-19 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 21085550)
Took yesterday off work to drive one of our cats to the veterinary clinic at a university 1.5 hours away to do an endoscopy. She's been having digestive issues lately and we can't figure out what's wrong.

My wife has had two cats who had cancer so we're understandably paranoid about that possibility, so we're just having the endoscopy done now so we can hopefully figure out whatever it is early and start treating it. Won't know for sure until they get the biopsies back but yesterday the vet called after the preliminary exam and said that the possibility of cancer was moving further down the list, so fingers crossed.

We have four animals in the house - two cats, two dogs -- and the absence of even one of them for a day is strikingly noticeable.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...03949efbf9.jpg

This is Charlotte. She will get on my wife's stomach and drool. She's very silly.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2a34f1bcf9.jpg

Probably contemplating bird murder.

Pretty babies

rpenmanparker 08-21-19 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21086349)
And I have a pair enroute. It seems dumb (not as dumb as running) to have to have a third tubular rim just for stretching, when I have a plethora of clincher rims around.

Stretching isn’t required. Especially if you mount them with gluing tape instead of glue.

seedsbelize 08-21-19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker (Post 21086459)
Stretching isn’t required. Especially if you mount them with gluing tape instead of glue.

I plan on using glue. I've read of too many negative aspects of tape. Mainly the clean-up process after tire removal. And I'm a bit of a purist, in some respects. Certainly not all. I have a really hard time driving to the beginning of a ride, for example. Though I'm happy to throw the bike in the car at the end, and ride home with my wife.

BillyD 08-21-19 07:45 PM

May I ask a dumb question? How does one embed a YouTube video on this site?

Heh, pup.

:bday:

LesterOfPuppets 08-21-19 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21086357)
We finished digging the trench today, with just a little bit of clean-up left to do, before interring the cable=laden conduit. My right hand man, age 34, and his right hand man, age 16, arrived to do the bulk of what was left. I did not get a HIIT workout in this morning, but I am plenty tired none=the=less.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d1bc94fd53.jpg
We had this baby in operation for three hours, to make our way across that 2 meter section of surface bedrock.
I think they managed to get 3" deep.

OSHA-approved footwear :thumb:

Pirkaus 08-22-19 03:57 AM

:bday: you old geezer :bday: