Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1191005)

MoAlpha 01-01-20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21266321)
Did anyone eat black eyed peas today?

No, but we did have sauerkraut. Good luck and tastes better.

Velo Vol 01-01-20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21266400)
Born in Fla., partially raised in NC.

Doesn't count unless in the northern part.

LAJ 01-01-20 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21266390)
Sounds like you're really packing it on for the holidays.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's not a true Southerner here, is there?

I had salad and some shrimp for dinner.

I've made Hoppin' John before, but spicy black eyed peas are just that. Nothing special at all.

Velo Vol 01-01-20 08:27 PM

I got excited while in Ohio because a relative was supposed to come over for lunch and bring pierogies.

Sadly she got sick and we ended up eating some from the store. :rolleyes:

rjones28 01-01-20 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21266403)
Doesn't count unless in the northern part.

wut

MoAlpha 01-01-20 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21266332)
Ugh. Just noticed that the VW is dripping oil... A day and a half before our trip back, halfway across the country. Will have to get it looked at tomorrow.

:notamused:

Yikes. Hope it’s the pan gasket or something and not your main seal.

DougRNS 01-01-20 08:34 PM

BillyD
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...698f73d4bb.jpg

Velo Vol 01-01-20 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21266408)
wut

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f15c08bbe5.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 01-01-20 09:35 PM

Group pic from today's MTB ride. Going to bed early. So tired and out of shape. :(

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7560eaa527.jpg

BillyD 01-01-20 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21266390)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's not a true Southerner here, is there?

I'm from the southern most end of NY, so there's that. No accent though.

BillyD 01-01-20 10:36 PM

I had scrambled eggs w/ cheese and a chocolate chip banana muffin for breakfast. And a half avocado. And a banana.

For dinner we had ham, mac n cheese, and a garden salad.

For dessert there was homemade cheesecake.

Velo Vol 01-01-20 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21266402)
No, but we did have sauerkraut. Good luck and tastes better.

Sauerkraut counts? I put some on my salad.

Pirkaus 01-02-20 04:44 AM

Definitely not a southerner, born in central New Jersey, lived in New Hampshire since 1977, y'all.
No blackeyed peas or sauerkraut, had spinach, feta, egg pizza with mushrooms :love:, and Greek salad.
Did a endurance trainer ride:winter:, but I still don't have anything like I did pre-accident :mad:

MoAlpha 01-02-20 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21266537)
Sauerkraut counts?

So I’m told.

indyfabz 01-02-20 06:51 AM

Mummers.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f1595fe586.jpg

datlas 01-02-20 06:52 AM

On yesterday's ride, one of my friends who drank the tubeless kool-aid had an ongoing issue. Apparently he had a small puncture or tear in the tire, which would seal, but every time he went over a bump or pothole it would open up and start hissing/squirting again. Sophomoric jokes aside (use your imagination, I had several zingers!), it was quite annoying for him and the rest of us. He would have to stop periodically and try to get the leak to seal. I think the wet roads from the snow showers we experienced may have been a factor in preventing the latex from sealing as well. He was able to finish the ride, but not exactly a ringing endorsement for road tubeless. I do know it has its proponents, but I am not ready any time soon.

Trsnrtr 01-02-20 07:52 AM

A lot of my meals would be called eclectic at best. My lunch yesterday was an apple, a kohlrabi, a chunk of turkey breast, and some goat cheese.

It was after my ride and I didn't feel like a real meal so I just raided the fridge. I do this a lot.

rjones28 01-02-20 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21266719)
On yesterday's ride, one of my friends who drank the tubeless kool-aid had an ongoing issue. Apparently he had a small puncture or tear in the tire, which would seal, but every time he went over a bump or pothole it would open up and start hissing/squirting again. Sophomoric jokes aside (use your imagination, I had several zingers!), it was quite annoying for him and the rest of us. He would have to stop periodically and try to get the leak to seal. I think the wet roads from the snow showers we experienced may have been a factor in preventing the latex from sealing as well. He was able to finish the ride, but not exactly a ringing endorsement for road tubeless. I do know it has its proponents, but I am not ready any time soon.

Did he cut the tire on a previous ride?

WhyFi 01-02-20 07:58 AM

Thanks to the torx bit on my handy-dandy Lezyne multi-tool, I was able to take the shroud off of the bottom of the VW. When I started it up, oil dripped directly from the oil filter. Seems like it's on there tight though. Shop should be able to take a look at it later on today. I'm hoping that is something dumb, like a crack in the oil filter casing, so that I can get it taken care of today, and we can get the **** out of Dodge tomorrow.

rjones28 01-02-20 07:59 AM

Coffee and panettone for breakfast.

WhyFi 01-02-20 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21266719)

If if he's using a good sealant, those kinds of cuts are exceedingly rare. I've had one in three years. These are the perfect use case for bacon strips, though. He should carry a couple and a small insertion tool.

datlas 01-02-20 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21266753)
Did he cut the tire on a previous ride?

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21266761)
If if he's using a good sealant, those kinds of cuts are exceedingly rare. I've had one in three years. These are the perfect use case for bacon strips, though. He should carry a couple and a small insertion tool.

I don't think he cut it previously. He went tubeless this past season and I know he had a flat previously, which apparently did seal after giving me the equivalent of a facial when I was on his wheel.

I told him to look at the tire carefully and figure out what happened. But this guy is a higher-up at Vanguard and does not do his own wrenching, so my guess is the bike (or at least the rear wheel) is at the LBS with instructions to put on a new tire.

WalksOn2Wheels 01-02-20 08:39 AM

Road tubeless rides great, but the only two times I got a flat with that setup, it was a big enough puncture that it just wasn't going to ever seal. After putting a tube in a tire/rim combo full of sealant twice I decided to skip it. Flats are rare enough without having to mess around with sealant.

datlas 01-02-20 08:43 AM

I know it's been thrashed out continually in the 41 the whole road tubeless issue. And from my observations it clearly has a place for those who are plagued by frequent flats (eg Goathead country) and of course better for CX and off-road where you want to run lower pressures.

I am fortunate enough to live in a non-glassy and non-goathead road region. I get a flat roughly every 2500 miles (so about 3 flats/year) which is infrequent enough that I am not going to mess around with tubeless. I am open to trying it in the future, of course. But not any time soon.

rjones28 01-02-20 09:07 AM

I run tubeless on my fat bike and my CX/gravel bike, but tubes on the road bikes. No real need for road tubeless in my area.