Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tom Toles's cartoon about NYC killing uses a bicyclist as victim (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1126945)

Arthur Peabody 11-03-17 07:10 AM

Tom Toles's cartoon about NYC killing uses a bicyclist as victim

http://assets.amuniversal.com/de5703...0a005056a9545d

Hoopdriver 11-03-17 07:44 AM

Bad taste on a number of accounts

jefnvk 11-03-17 08:27 AM

:popcorn

BobbyG 11-03-17 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by hoopdriver (Post 19969670)
bad taste on a number of accounts

+1

Flip Flop Rider 11-03-17 09:44 AM

Ill say this then duck out

Blame is a legitimate concern

Not talking about preventing or predicting future attacks, but the fact is if THIS person had not been let in the country, then THIS attack by THIS person would not have occurred. Fact

kevindsingleton 11-03-17 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by hoopdriver (Post 19969670)
bad taste on a number of accounts

+2

kevindsingleton 11-03-17 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider (Post 19969953)

Not talking about preventing or predicting future attacks, but the fact is if THIS person had not been let in the country, then THIS attack by THIS person would not have occurred. Fact

Agreed. Something can be done. Let's do it.

tyrion 11-03-17 10:49 AM

Bicyclists were the victims. Is the cartoonist supposed to ignore that fact?

indyfabz 11-03-17 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by tyrion (Post 19970086)
Bicyclists were the victims. Is the cartoonist supposed to ignore that fact?

+1. The only thing I can conclude is that the OP is misinterpreting the cartoon.

02Giant 11-03-17 11:20 AM

How would you propose stopping the Las Vegas Terrorist?

wphamilton 11-03-17 11:36 AM

I'll only point out, and I hope it's not controversial since it seems self-evident, that if a person was radicalized to that extent sometime during a 7 year period in the US, there were almost certainly other entities involved. This attack caused by those entities operating on some other person may have occurred instead. If we want to be logical, somehow prevent or mitigate the radicalization rather than searching out the at-risk individuals.

Myosmith 11-03-17 02:10 PM

Reality is that the human race is violent, has been throughout history and there is no evidence that this will change anytime soon. Another reality is that the human race is very adept at figuring out ways to kill each other. As fast as we come up with ways to protect ourselves, the zealots and whack jobs come up with new plans.

atbman 11-03-17 03:00 PM

It's a cartoon. He's showing that the first, knee-jerk, response is to blame the victim. Given the number of links to articles in your media where that has happened, why is this so difficult to understand?

canklecat 11-03-17 03:29 PM

I don't see any problem. It's more of a head-shaker-but-yeah perspective. I'm more offended by do-nothing hypocritical "thoughts and prayers" posts on Facebook by people who won't lift a finger -- literally, lift a finger off the damn phone to stop texting while driving -- than by this cartoon.

Besides, we're too deep into the bad taste and coarseness era to complain now. All of pop culture thrives on it. Thanks, internet.

Chris0516 11-03-17 07:48 PM

Sick joke

CB HI 11-03-17 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by atbman (Post 19970584)
It's a cartoon. He's showing that the first, knee-jerk, response is to blame the victim. Given the number of links to articles in your media where that has happened, why is this so difficult to understand?

Cartoonist is not blaming the cyclist victims, he is using the cyclist victims to take a bad taste swipe at Trump.

Hoopdriver 11-04-17 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 19971221)
Cartoonist is not blaming the cyclist victims, he is using the cyclist victims to take a bad taste swipe at Trump.

Yes, this was a jab at Trump's obnoxious ploy to use the incident for political gain, but the cartoonist was also exploiting the tragedy to make this jab. Neither motivations sit well with me.

Arthur Peabody 11-04-17 01:39 PM

The cartoonist was going to use some image to lampoon Trump. That he used a bicyclist is homage to the increasing significance of bicyclists.

JonnyHK 11-04-17 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's what political cartoonists do. They speak the unspeakable by using images. They do it 'too soon'. And they merrily slaughter sacred cows to do it.

This particular cartoon (below) caused more than a little bother in Australia when it was released. Very well known cartoonist and artist.

Attachment 587387

bobwysiwyg 11-04-17 02:55 PM

So, where did your ancestors immigrate from. Even our first nation folks are immigrants.

noglider 11-04-17 05:04 PM

What reasonable prevention measures would you advocate for?

CB HI 11-04-17 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 19972318)
So, where did your ancestors immigrate from. Even our first nation folks are immigrants.

At least I now know one other person who understands that fact.

Rollfast 11-04-17 11:37 PM

The pilgrims were illegal immigrants. I knew that.

San Rensho 11-05-17 03:30 PM

Your argument is one of the stupidest ever. If Christopher Columbus had not come to the United States, then none of us would be here and this terrorist attack also would not have occurred. So was it Christopher Columbus's fault that there was a terrorist attack that killed by cyclists?

Trump is a brainless child that has to immediately blame anybody and everybody for the problems that are going on.

Why isn't Trump stopping terrorism. It's Trump's fault that this guy was able to commit a terrorist act. Why isn't Trump protecting us.

I'll tell you why, because he's much more concerned about his ego then on the American people.

Why do you hate America so much that you are behind Trump?

Rollfast 11-05-17 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 02Giant (Post 19970162)
How would you propose stopping the Las Vegas Terrorist?

Over 20 dead at a Texas church and a drive-by at one in California.

The truth is that you aren't going to, unless you can see the signs, and in many cases you'd have to read minds or be looking for things so ordinary in our daily life that the minutia would escape us. In the case of the Texas shooting the killer moved in quickly on a church service and only when he left was an armed citizen able to fire upon him, but they drove away and were found dead by police later...self-inflicted or as a result of his wounds, unknown as yet.

Now we are a million miles OT except for providing some answer to your question. And really, that guy was already set up and ready to go. The speculation is about his recent gambling losses.

But nobody was on a bike in Las Vegas to my knowledge.