Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Road culture: Is the kudos like the wave? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1184916)

MoAlpha 10-02-19 02:32 PM

Road culture: Is the kudos like the wave?

When is it appropriate and when may it be omitted?

Must it be reciprocated?

What is the subtextual message?

Cypress 10-02-19 02:38 PM

First for "wat"

caloso 10-02-19 02:46 PM

You mean on Strava? I dunno. I try not to get hung up on it. I give kudos to my friends if their rides show up on my front page. I imagine they do the same.

tagaproject6 10-02-19 02:49 PM

It's just an illusion.

eduskator 10-02-19 02:53 PM

Talking about overthinking...

2manybikes 10-02-19 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21147532)

Must it be reciprocated?

Needs a poll.

datlas 10-02-19 03:04 PM

Must it be reciprocated?

Kudos is the virtual wave, but more personal. Reciprocate if it feels right. I only give/reciprocate for people I know in real life. Not to stalkers/strangers.

seau grateau 10-02-19 03:08 PM

Slow recovery ride - kudos.
Ride involves a crash - kudos
<1 mile logged - kudos
Full century - kudos
Any Zwift activity - no kudos, possibly unfollow

2manybikes 10-02-19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21147581)
Kudos is the virtual wave, but more personal. Reciprocate if it feels right. I only give/reciprocate for people I know in real life. Not to stalkers/strangers.

Kudos.

:)

WhyFi 10-02-19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 21147584)
<1 mile logged - kudos
Full century - kudos

Ha. The only trainer activity for which I'll give a kudos is something that involves serious discomfort - ftp test, sessions with a lot of time at/above threshold, etc. Much more likely to happen with TR interval sessions, rather than Zwift.

MoAlpha 10-02-19 03:30 PM

<1 mile logged - kudos
Full century - kudos

Exactly the kind of guidance I am seeking.

MoAlpha 10-02-19 03:33 PM

I don’t kudos strangers/stalkers either, that is, if you exclude the strangers I know from here who praise me for my 4 mi. commutes. Sometimes, I sense a certain irony...

Trsnrtr 10-02-19 03:37 PM

<1 mile logged - kudos
Full century - kudos

Same. :thumb:

Trsnrtr 10-02-19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21147622)
I don’t kudos strangers/stalkers either, that is, if you exclude the strangers I know from here who praise me for my 4 mi. commutes. Sometimes, I sense a certain irony...

I kudo your 4 mile rides because it’s always good to support beginners who are trying. :lol:

MoAlpha 10-02-19 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21147633)
I kudo your 4 mile rides because it’s always good to support beginners who are trying. :lol:

Okay, not irony, frank condescension. You can say so much with a kudos. :cry:

Actually, some non-ironic people do it too.

Homebrew01 10-02-19 04:50 PM

It's not winter yet.

mstateglfr 10-02-19 10:55 PM

Must it be reciprocated?

A handful of friends/coworkers follow me. Sometimes I'm notified that they gave me kudos.
Ok, I guess.

I dont follow them or even use strava for anything more than a place to store my rides and overall mileage.

Couldn't care when kudos are given and couldn't care when they arent given. If anyone feels obligated to do such a thing, they need to snap back to reality.

Seattle Forrest 10-02-19 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Homebrew01 (Post 21147731)
It's not winter yet.

Winter has made a visit though. An acquaintance got to ski last week on a foot and a half of fresh.

Another one bought an ebike and was complaining that serious cyclists never wave. I told him it's not aerodynamic to stick your hand up.

guachi 10-02-19 11:21 PM

I'll give kudos to almost anything on Strava. I ride a lot on Zwift because the weather here in Augusta, GA has been awful for months (it was 101 a few days ago. In late September).

There aren't many good places to ride, but thankfully one of the best is right near where I work. But I'm not riding it in 90+ degree weather at 4 pm. I don't hate myself that much.

Also, my heart rate is generally way lower riding indoors than out (probably the heat) so I can push myself harder. I bought my turbo trainer in late May before the weather got awful in June and it's been 90+ for the past four months. In that time I've pushed my W/kg from 2.5 to 3.3 and it's almost all been on Zwift.

In other words, I don't look down on people who Zwift during a Georgia summer. The weather sucks, the roads suck, and I'd rather Zwift than hate life riding outside.

canklecat 10-03-19 02:11 AM

I dispense kudos like glow sticks and X at a 1990s rave. Wear a Cat in the Hat stovepipe hat and I might even comment with a glowwinky emoticon.

downhillmaster 10-03-19 04:36 AM

No kudos for this ridiculous thread

mvnsnd 10-03-19 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by guachi (Post 21148111)
I'll give kudos to almost anything on Strava. I ride a lot on Zwift because the weather here in Augusta, GA has been awful for months (it was 101 a few days ago. In late September).

There aren't many good places to ride, but thankfully one of the best is right near where I work. But I'm not riding it in 90+ degree weather at 4 pm. I don't hate myself that much.

Also, my heart rate is generally way lower riding indoors than out (probably the heat) so I can push myself harder. I bought my turbo trainer in late May before the weather got awful in June and it's been 90+ for the past four months. In that time I've pushed my W/kg from 2.5 to 3.3 and it's almost all been on Zwift.

In other words, I don't look down on people who Zwift during a Georgia summer. The weather sucks, the roads suck, and I'd rather Zwift than hate life riding outside.

Pretty much the same for me. Post an activity and I'll give you a kudo just for the fact you did something. I do not discriminate against Zwift users or any other indoor trainer activity.

indyfabz 10-03-19 05:31 AM

Kudus.

:love:

https://cdn.britannica.com/53/164353...eater-kudu.jpg

datlas 10-03-19 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21148217)

Kudos back at ya!

burnthesheep 10-03-19 06:37 AM

I'm not a fan of the chronic Zwifter/trainer person that only does that and hardly ever rides outside. I won't give kudos to that.

I often fit in a workout at lunch on the bike in the gym. If I went outdoors I'd waste 20min out of my 45min of time available just leaving out site to get to where I can ride and returning.

Not everyone is so entitled to have unlimited time and opportunities to ride outside. I respect and give kudos to folks who try to balance both.

But, I'll more readily give someone kudos who bothers to mount the bike once a week to Zwift or train indoors because their family or work life kept them away from having the time to suit up and get outdoors.

That'll get my kudos before somebody doing their 10,000th identical 5mi greenway ride on their e-bike.

My priority of kudos is:
1. New rider doing something special/trying hard
2. Any real race
3. Any real fondo/charity ride/challenge ride
4. Group rides of any pace over an hour long
5. Hard workouts outside
6. Hard workouts inside including Zwift
6b. Runs of any distance over a mile
7. Easy solo rides outside
8. Easy rides inside
9. Critical mass pub rides
10. Walking
11. Sleeping

Things I tend to un-follow for:
-racing MUP/greenway segments
-only riding the same exact route outdoors 100% the time and it isn't a commute
-zero physical effort ever, could be a manual bike or e-bike rider.......got sweat at some point
-abusing the social media post feature of Strava
-only rides indoors 100% of time
-tries to "win" the group ride, or generally unsafe riders