Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Short travel full suspension XC machine? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1014677)

stockae92 06-19-15 11:25 AM

Short travel full suspension XC machine?

I remember back in the days the Specialized FSR XC was a popular short travel full suspension XC machine? Whats the modern day equivalent to that? :)

Thanks.

Wilfred Laurier 06-19-15 11:34 AM

There are many.

Specialized makes the Epic series now, which has a further evolved version of the FSR suspension. Trek makes the Superfly FS, Giant makes the Anthem (I think).

slowride454 06-20-15 10:20 PM

I building a Salsa Spearfish right now. Can't wait to ride it.

mzeffex 06-21-15 10:02 AM

The epic (especially the WC) is pretty much as close to a hardtail as you can get while keeping the rear shock, if that's what you're looking for.

Gallo 06-21-15 10:04 AM

i think there are a bunch which fits that description My 429c is labeled a XC bike as is the Santa Cruz Tall Boy and countless others. I think that most of them today are capable of far more than XC. The suspension has home a long way with "short" being 4 inches and the designs have become more efficient at using the travel. With the flick of a tab these machines go from plush to damm near ridgid

ColinL 06-22-15 01:57 PM

There are a lot of these types of bikes, as others mentioned.

You need get out and ride a few examples. You'll first want to pick whether you should have 27.5 or 29" wheels.

Duke of Kent 06-23-15 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gallo (Post 17913272)
i think there are a bunch which fits that description My 429c is labeled a XC bike as is the Santa Cruz Tall Boy and countless others. I think that most of them today are capable of far more than XC. The suspension has home a long way with "short" being 4 inches and the designs have become more efficient at using the travel. With the flick of a tab these machines go from plush to damm near ridgid

"Far more capable than XC". What does that mean?

It's a 100mm bike. XC, to me, is anything that doesn't include getting huge air or require a full face helmet.

Wilfred Laurier 06-23-15 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Duke of Kent (Post 17918776)

It's a 100mm bike. XC, to me, is anything that doesn't include getting huge air or require a full face helmet.

I think 'capable of far more than XC' refers to the potential ability to get air and do rides that require a full face helmet... not that you must do those things.

Duke of Kent 06-23-15 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 17918782)
I think 'capable of far more than XC' refers to the potential ability to get air and do rides that require a full face helmet... not that you must do those things.

In which case a Pivot 429 or Tallboy are like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Horses for courses. If a person feels the need to wear a full face, a 100mm FS is not the bike I'd be riding.

I ride a carbon HT in Pisgah and Pisgah-like terrain in VA regularly; firmly in the XC realm. It's rough, and it will tear you apart if you mess up, but there is nothing "AM" about it.

Wilfred Laurier 06-23-15 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Duke of Kent (Post 17919159)
In which case a Pivot 429 or Tallboy are like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Horses for courses. If a person feels the need to wear a full face, a 100mm FS is not the bike I'd be riding.

I ride a carbon HT in Pisgah and Pisgah-like terrain in VA regularly; firmly in the XC realm. It's rough, and it will tear you apart if you mess up, but there is nothing "AM" about it.

Of course, if your WayBack machine is operating, you could go the early days of the 'freeride' trend (mid-late '90s) and people were doing chairlift assisted downhill runs all day long on their 75mm travel bikes.

ColinL 06-23-15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 17919552)
Of course, if your WayBack machine is operating, you could go the early days of the 'freeride' trend (mid-late '90s) and people were doing chairlift assisted downhill runs all day long on their 75mm travel bikes.

If you have enough skill and patience, you could still ride one of those without going OTB or tacoing a wheel. But it wouldn't be very enjoyable compared to a modern bike.

If you're XC racing, you should have an XC race bike. If you aren't, a mid-travel 'trail' bike will be better suited to handle a variety of trails. Short-travel bikes are generally cheaper, but not always. Take the Giant Trance for example.

Gallo 06-25-15 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Duke of Kent (Post 17918776)

It means it can do more than a flat fire trail hauling ass which is what I think of when doing XC. When I was looking for a bike I was not looking for a category. I wanted to move to a 29r and full suspension that climbed well. Many of the XC bikes like mine are equipped with 100 rear 120 front. So far the bike has taken anything I have thrown at it and being in San Diego plenty has been thrown at it. It performs better than I do. I do not jump much but we have drops here and there and it has never bottomed out. This bike takes me wherever I want it to go in comfort.

By capable I mean it can handle any terrain save the serious downhill which is not my thing.

And save the you can take a Huffy anywhere too.

stockae92 06-25-15 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the suggestion. I found a Giant Anthem with 3.5" rear travel, I read great review about the design.