Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Brompton rear wheel side play. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1112197)

Muduck 06-22-17 06:42 AM

Brompton rear wheel side play.

Ok you brompton guru's. I have a 2010 M6L with 6000 miles on it. I've noticed a very slight side play in the rear wheel when I grab it at 180 degrees and pull back and forth. Is this a matter of tightening the inner axel nuts, much like you would for the wheel bearing on a trailer? Thank you for any constructive advice 😜.

fietsbob 06-22-17 08:11 AM

Left cone adjustment, check that either of them are loose.. got cone wrenches?

need those.. there is a hex locknut too,

Lots of web info on servicing Sturmey Archer hubs..

Muduck 06-22-17 08:55 AM

Thanks for sending me right direction. Starting my Amazon list now.

fietsbob 06-22-17 11:00 AM

Amazon cannot get Brompton parts, they have to go thru the dealers.

Muduck 06-22-17 12:05 PM

I'm not going to debate that. Your right. Sometimes one needs to dance with the devil to accomplish the end means.

Muduck 06-22-17 12:41 PM

Just cone wrenchs

fietsbob 06-22-17 02:34 PM

Look for the kind that are stepped , 2 sizes per end, + double ended .... each is 13-15 & 14-17, and so you just need 2..

rec 06-22-17 02:56 PM

I recommend going to a local bike kitchen for some help. Not that adjusting hub cones is hard, just that it can be weird if you've never done it before and their shop tools are better than cheap home bike tools.

Muduck 06-22-17 03:23 PM

Thanks fietsbob that's what I'll look for. rec; the brompton dealer is a bit of a drive also any "bike kitchen" for that matter. I'm betting on my 30 plus years as a industrial mechanic will help. I just need to remember that nothing on the brompton needs to be touqued to 750 lbs. 😀

badmother 06-22-17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muduck (Post 19670983)
Thanks fietsbob that's what I'll look for. rec; the brompton dealer is a bit of a drive also any "bike kitchen" for that matter. I'm betting on my 30 plus years as a industrial mechanic will help. I just need to remember that nothing on the brompton needs to be touqued to 750 lbs. 😀

Take a look at some films on YouTube too. Lots of info there that can be of use. I often look at several films on the topic I am looking for and then go back and look at the best one (the one I like best) one more time.

Muduck 06-22-17 03:53 PM

10/4 "bad" like I first stated, it's "very slight" so not like I'm stuck on the side of the road with a wobblie tire, beside it's my wife's bike, minds fine.��

fietsbob 06-22-17 04:36 PM

My Brompton stuff gets mailed, 2 hours west of Portland ,

bought other stuff from the 1st guy to sell bromptons in the US, who since retired ..

got a Schmidt-Brompton wheel from Peter White, LBS, here has a dealer account.

12boy 06-22-17 05:27 PM

I too, had a little wobble in my SA hub. Loosened the 2 17 mm nuts on the non drive side, tightened the inner cone nut, tightened the two 17 mm nuts and she turned easily without any sideways slop.
Yes, you need cone wrenches although I used a standard 17 mm wrench for the two outer nuts. I have a pair each ancient 13-14 and 15-16 ones and a set from spin doctor that were pretty cheap. The ancient ones show less wear. Bought those in the 70s.