Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

seedsbelize 07-16-20 07:12 AM

Three of my remaining four bikes have friction downtube shifters. Over the summer, I will be working on setting up a second with indexed. Suntour Accushift is said to function better, with a nine speed chain, than it did when it was released, back in the 80s. I have never had a fondness for bar ends. I have no issues with cantis, though I currently have no bikes that use them.
When my wife returns from the North Country, I will begin my adventure with tubulars, first building the wheels with hubs she will carry with her, and then with the tires she will also carry with her.
And then I'm done buying bike stuff.
Jadesfire

LAJ 07-16-20 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21589984)
:bday:

I choose to have mine done by people who do such things for a living, especially since we are talking canti brakes that can be finicky and squeal like a stuck pig if not set up properly. I also pay a CPA to do my taxes. I'm worth it.

Worth repeating.

abshipp 07-16-20 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21590147)
Here is my perspective as someone who has toured exclusively with bar ends:

Most of the time, I don't miss having brifters. But during a cross-PA tour back in 2014 I realized that they would have been much more convenient in certain circumstances. There was a long section of road with relatively small ups and downs. The road was bumpy in a lot of places with patches of sand/gravel on the shoulder. It would have been nice to be able to shift quickly and frequently through the range of the cassette to try to take advantage of momentum as I transitioned from going down to up, but I was reluctant to take a hand of the bars to reach for the bar ends. Instead, I pretty much coasted into the uphill until my speed dropped to the point where it caught up with whatever gear I was in.

Very much mirrors my experience with DT shifters in rolling terrain, especially if I'm tired.

Bar ends would be slightly preferable to the DTs in that circumstance, especially since if I'm doing a lot of shifting I notice my left arm becoming fatigued from supporting myself when I remove my right hand from the bars to shift.

WhyFi 07-16-20 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21590106)
Disappointing ride today. Felt slow, my HR was living in Z6, and breeze from the E threw my pacing off.

Felt slow or were slow? Sometimes, those days where I feel like dog poo are actually pretty good.

WhyFi 07-16-20 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21590152)
And then I'm done buying bike stuff.

Uh huh.

Bah Humbug 07-16-20 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21590111)
I take it the second from the bottom with the octo handle is yours? 240?

Yes, my precious...

Bah Humbug 07-16-20 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21589982)
Made another over asking offer on yet another house... find out today at 10:30ish if we got it.

Its a great house and will work really well for our family. It’s also got a huge basement that we can put a gym / family room in. I’m a little annoyed that it’s 50k more than the last one we lost, puts a little bit of a damper on my pool install plans, but we’re pretty excited about it. 3 of my daughters’ friends live on that street so it will be great for them.

Fingers crossed! House-buying sucks...

MoAlpha 07-16-20 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21590175)
Felt slow or were slow? Sometimes, those days where I feel like dog poo are actually pretty good.

Yup; that dog poo feeling can be an indicator that you have the throttle open to where it needs to be and **** the legs if they don't like it. I use HR to make sure I'm not dogging it.

Only 5 sec over my PR for the course, but disappointing because of a focused (for me) high intensity week, followed by three light days. Also had good luck at the intersections. Might still be experiencing a touch of fatigue and this HSV attack hasn't helped. :50:

In my defense, I don't think anyone else set a PR today. Segment times suggest breeze was a factor.

WhyFi 07-16-20 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21590184)
Yes, my precious...

Do you have a strong 240 preference? I was sorely tempted by a 210 Kono Fuji FM during Bernal's Juneteenth sale, but after getting used to a 240, I had a niggling feeling that I'd regret getting a 210, and an under-sized one, at that (typically 205).

WhyFi 07-16-20 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21590192)
Yup; that dog poo feeling can be an indicator that you have the throttle open to where it needs to be and **** the legs if they don't like it. I use HR to make sure I'm not dogging it.

Only 5 sec over my PR for the course, but disappointing because of a focused (for me) high intensity week, followed by three light days. Also had good luck at the intersections. Might still be experiencing a touch of fatigue and this HSV attack hasn't helped. :50:

In my defense, I don't think anyone else set a PR today. Segment times suggest breeze was a factor.

Ah, so disappointing because you didn't do as well as hoped, not because you outright sucked.

Yeah, no PR/2/3 after the turnaround - blame the weather. Or get some even more high-zoot wheels and send me the ones holding you back. :innocent:

LAJ 07-16-20 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21590192)

Coming back from rest days are hard for me, and depending on what light it is, it may not have actually been an AR day. If your heart rate was in Z2 for even a bit, it really wasn't active rest. Rest is under-rated.

BillyD 07-16-20 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21589688)
I rode the ebike to the shop and back today. About 14 miles, but it doesn't count. ;)

Oh no, that’s how addictions start. You didn’t enjoy it, did you?

Bah Humbug 07-16-20 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21590194)
Do you have a strong 240 preference? I was sorely tempted by a 210 Kono Fuji FM during Bernal's Juneteenth sale, but after getting used to a 240, I had a niggling feeling that I'd regret getting a 210, and an under-sized one, at that (typically 205).

Yeah, I have a preference not only to 240 but... a long 240, like maybe a 250, and don't include the neck in that. The 210s are sort of the worst in being too large to be nimble, but too small to plow through peppers or pineapple.

upthywazzoo 07-16-20 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21590117)
Are you certain that this doesn't belong in another thread?

It might! ;)

phrantic09 07-16-20 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21590186)
Fingers crossed! House-buying sucks...

thanks man

WhyFi 07-16-20 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21590234)
Yeah, I have a preference not only to 240 but... a long 240, like maybe a 250, and don't include the neck in that. The 210s are sort of the worst in being too large to be nimble, but too small to plow through peppers or pineapple.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I'll just sit on my hands until a Black Friday sale and hope that some 240s are in stock.

...if I don't find more bike crap to spend money on before that. :innocent:

Bah Humbug 07-16-20 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by upthywazzoo (Post 21590046)
Primarily kitchen knives. Some foldable pocket knives. They're not all the same hardness of steel...not sure if that makes a difference? Longest blade about 8", shortest 3.125"

Edit: I also have a Fiskars splitting axe. That probably requires its own whetstone?

My instinct would be to keep axes away from kitchen knife stuff, but I have no evidence for that (nor any experience with an axe in the last three decades).

Knife-wise, the default budget option would be a King 1000/3000 combo. The bang-for-the-buck would be the Bester 1200/ Suehiro Rika 5000 (and Beston 500 if you need a coarse starter).

For nicer options, I like this one (out of stock now): https://www.japanesenaturalstones.co...-matukusuyama/ and pair it with this: https://www.japanesenaturalstones.co...-matukusuyama/ (WhyFi - it's in stock!). Then there's the JapaneseKnifeImports diamond stone set, which is awesome but expensive. The 1k is OOS, but the 6k is in stock: https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...6000-stone-kit. His in-house Gesshin three-stone combo kit is well-regarded but I haven't used it. I haven't seen him stock anything bad, though.

Don't be shy if you have any follow-up questions!

WhyFi 07-16-20 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21590244)
...if I don't find more bike crap to spend money on before that. :innocent:

Uh oh - 2021 Madone announced. Lighter, T47 BB.

WhyFi 07-16-20 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21590245)
My instinct would be to keep axes away from kitchen knife stuff, but I have no evidence for that (nor any experience with an axe in the last three decades).

I'd sharpen the splitting axe on the sidewalk before it'd touch a wet stone.

BillyD 07-16-20 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21589799)
interesting, per my YouTube history I also listened to a classic except my selection was timely.
https://youtu.be/_sef8vZJiIk

I must say, that was cute as hell. :lol:

WhyFi 07-16-20 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21590252)
I'd sharpen the splitting axe on the sidewalk before it'd touch a wet stone.

But I'd probably just use a file.

abshipp 07-16-20 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21590234)
too large to be nimble, but too small to plow through peppers or pineapple.

Reminds me of a line in the chorus of a favorite song of mine:

Bah Humbug 07-16-20 08:20 AM

Last night I had this weird dream that AG and I were in HK, but the hotel was the office building I worked in back in Albany. And I had the R2 there, and was insisting I was going to go out on a real morning ride. In Mong Kok, the highest-density neighborhood in the world.

Freaking weird.

big john 07-16-20 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21590096)
Found it! Just in time for K-Town winter.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/...37436212928512

As far as I can tell they are still not available and there is no pricing information. It seems he has been trying for years to get financial backing and they were supposed to be released in 2017.

BillyD 07-16-20 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21589993)
I can! What are you looking to sharpen, exactly?

A knife.

C’mon now, pay attention.