Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Passed By E-Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1204767)

MattTheHat 06-15-20 09:30 AM

Passed By E-Bike

I pass a guy on a very nice electric mountain bike from time to time, always from the opposite direction. But I had an e-bike pass me traveling in the same direction for the first time today. And it was on...wait for it...a multi use trail!

The rider kept a respectful distance between us and passed only slightly faster than I was riding. The world did not come to an end as I was led here on BF to believe it would. I felt no angst. This was right at the bottom of a fairly short uphill section that I don't really enjoy climbing. I'll admit to feeling just a little bit of envy as I watched the e-bike rider switchback up the hill and disappear over the top without moving his legs. I'd prefer to pedal but the idea of having an extra 50% power output would be really fun.

I'll be in the market for a grand baby trailer soon...a little extra umpf would be nice for towing. I find myself on the interwebs looking at electric road bikes from time to time. I'm pretty sure one will follow me home from the bike store one day.

Koyote 06-15-20 09:36 AM

I have no objection to e-assist bikes. They are great for people who haul lots of cargo/kids/whatever, for older/weaker people who live in hilly areas, for anyone who otherwise wouldn't get out on a bike. However, I have given my wife clear instructions: barring unforeseen medical issues, if I come home with an e-bike prior to my 75th birthday, she is to return it for a refund and put me in a nursing home.

rosefarts 06-15-20 09:48 AM

Last summer I was riding up Vail pass. Doing a decent job and passing lots of people. There was one person on what looked like a cruiser that I just couldn't make any ground on. It took me a while to figure it out. E-bike.

I think they're explicitly banned on that trail but maybe some are allowed if they're lower power.

It's not a big deal as long as the rider is capable of handling the bike at higher speeds than normal. I see that as a problem with rentals.

Tacoenthusiast 06-15-20 09:52 AM

Half the e bikes I see have those silly fatbike tires.... If they just had reasonable tires on them they probably wouldn't need the motor!!!

Ebikes are great though, good getting more people out riding. I see lots of them out now

CAT7RDR 06-15-20 09:59 AM

The darker side of me wants to force a "competitive" e-bike rider to drain his battery going up a grade attempting to stay ahead of me and force a battery change or a turnaround because they are out of juice. :D

2old 06-15-20 10:10 AM

A friend rides off road with an individual who can barely walk because he injured his spine severely in a surfing accident, but can ride a bike with e-assist (not a throttle). This has improved his life immeasurably.

cyclist2000 06-15-20 10:18 AM

I was thinking about a couple of them lately, my wife hardly ever rides because she is a weaker rider. But if she ever passed me, I would be getting one too.

Happy Feet 06-15-20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast (Post 21534938)
Half the e bikes I see have those silly fatbike tires.... If they just had reasonable tires on them they probably wouldn't need the motor!!!

Sounds like a case of tread envy. No motors required

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9f132d23_c.jpg

Metieval 06-15-20 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21534898)
I pass a guy on a very nice electric mountain bike from time to time, always from the opposite direction. But I had an e-bike pass me traveling in the same direction for the first time today. And it was on...wait for it...a multi use trail!

The rider kept a respectful distance between us and passed only slightly faster than I was riding. The world did not come to an end as I was led here on BF to believe it would. I felt no angst. This was right at the bottom of a fairly short uphill section that I don't really enjoy climbing. I'll admit to feeling just a little bit of envy as I watched the e-bike rider switchback up the hill and disappear over the top without moving his legs. I'd prefer to pedal but the idea of having an extra 50% power output would be really fun.

I'll be in the market for a grand baby trailer soon...a little extra umpf would be nice for towing. I find myself on the interwebs looking at electric road bikes from time to time. I'm pretty sure one will follow me home from the bike store one day.

Same.... One day. not today, but...One day

MattTheHat 06-15-20 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cyclist2000 (Post 21534987)
I was thinking about a couple of them lately, my wife hardly ever rides because she is a weaker rider. But if she ever passed me, I would be getting one too.

I've thought about one for my wife too.

General Geoff 06-15-20 11:18 AM

eMTBs are great but I already got one of these to suit the purpose of power on demand. Got it cheaper than a new eMTB too.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...77a34d76dc.jpg
On trails I only ride it at 10-15 mph anyway, so the only functional difference is that it makes a bit more noise. Modern fuel-injected 4 stroke with a catalytic converter so no noxious fumes or smoke clouds, thankfully.

Though an eMTB won't get as many dirty looks on a MUP as a dual sport lol

Metieval 06-15-20 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by General Geoff (Post 21535127)
eMTBs are great but I already got one of these to suit the purpose of power on demand. Got it cheaper than a new eMTB too.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...77a34d76dc.jpg
On trails I only ride it at 10-15 mph anyway, so the only functional difference is that it makes a bit more noise. Modern fuel-injected 4 stroke with a catalytic converter so no noxious fumes or smoke clouds, thankfully.

Though an eMTB won't get as many dirty looks on a MUP as a dual sport lol

That would look really good on the back of my van. I also don't feel like investing uber amount of money to recharge an E-bike out boondocking.

indyfabz 06-15-20 11:34 AM

Once someone on an E-Bike tried to pass me. I ate his liver--with fava beans and a nice class of Chianti.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3159d52f83.jpg

Tacoenthusiast 06-15-20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet (Post 21534995)
Sounds like a case of tread envy. No motors required

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9f132d23_c.jpg

Great picture and nice to see it in nature, I usually see a pair of folks on the paved mup going 15 mph and looking like they're both having a blast

Mulberry20 06-15-20 12:29 PM

You guys should see a E-Bike delivery guy in Manhattan wipe out or run into a car door or pedestrian with 200lbs of Chinese food or pizza.

Reynolds 06-15-20 01:24 PM

I was passed by a Harley the other day. No big deal.

BlazingPedals 06-15-20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Reynolds (Post 21535385)
I was passed by a Harley the other day. No big deal.

Yeah, if he climbs the hill without pedaling, he's demonstrating that it's not a contest between individuals; whoever can buy the *biggest motor* wins. Not playing that game. Makes me wonder why he's on a trail though - just the fresh air, or does it make him feel like a real cyclist?

csuperbike 06-15-20 01:45 PM

Electric is awesome. 😜😁

fietsbob 06-15-20 01:46 PM

Motor Pacing

Faster reflexes, quickly jump in behind them on their back wheel, and get in their slipstream
with less air resistance you can get an easier speed match.

jefnvk 06-15-20 01:52 PM

Folks that get pissy about an ebike anywhere outside of a formal race setting need to get a life. I could maybe concede a groomed MTB trail system too, I'm still 50/50 on that, just from the fact that if you aren't fit enough to pedal a MTB trail, I question if you are fit enough to zig zag and descend a MTB trail system.

For the most part, none of my business how anyone else spends their recreational time or what they choose to commute on, though.

indyfabz 06-15-20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mulberry20 (Post 21535292)
You guys should see a E-Bike delivery guy in Manhattan wipe out or run into a car door or pedestrian with 200lbs of Chinese food or pizza.

Likely a throttle one, not solely e-assist. Those of us who live in major cities (I’m in Philly) know what a menace they can be.

Gresp15C 06-15-20 02:08 PM

You're about a year too late with your admonition, but thanks anyhow. Most of the cycling world has come to grips with e-bikes.

A few months ago, a friend of mine caught up with me on his e-bike while going uphill. He didn't even have the motor turned on.

friday1970 06-15-20 03:07 PM

When you got passed, did he give you that "Lance Armstrong Look'?

On one of my brevets last year, this subject came up. We all agreed that while we would not use one ourselves (currently, at least), we didn't see e-bikes as a bad thing. The reason is because it is getting people out of the house who normally would not be able to.

They are ugly, bulky, heavy, and expensive. But the smiles I see on people who ride them as I pass and wave...it's a beautiful thing.

bruceski44 06-15-20 03:13 PM

They make great rabbits! I caught one once on the flat, which made me proud, but then he floored it and there was no way I could match him. He was only going partly open when I caught him, evidently.

ofajen 06-15-20 03:31 PM

There’s a local guy who has been trying to sell a GeoOrbital wheel, which you put in place of your front wheel, mount a throttle and, hey presto, it’s an electric bike.

I haven’t connected up to try it out, mostly due to the pandemic (and because I’m not really interested in buying it.)

However, I’m intrigued by the idea, for those who might be interested in electric power, of using the same bike with an electric wheel, since the handling will be somewhat familiar and the fit will already be correct.

My only concern with electric bikes is the safety aspect for less familiar users who don’t appreciate the speed and the dangers. I’ve had a few close calls where someone was barely in control and going inappropriately fast, given the curves and amount of bike and foot traffic.

But it really looked like they were struggling so much with everything new about the electric bike that they weren’t able to also attend to where they were going. Also probably new to going that fast.

The ones I’ve seen recently on our shared trails have seemed much more in control and at ease.

Otto