Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Flip Flop Hub vs. Standard Non-Drive (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1151388)

eric044 07-31-18 09:31 PM

Flip Flop Hub vs. Standard Non-Drive

Anything in depth and technical on this? Wonder about potential balance benefits from a flip flop hub. But, with good equipment I think I can be happy with a standard non-drive side. Also, I think flip flop hubs may generally be longer, which may have drawbacks. I can make a wrong decision on this but would prefer not have that decision be a flip flop hub.

TejanoTrackie 07-31-18 10:09 PM

¿Que’?

Broctoon 07-31-18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by eric044 (Post 20481323)
Anything in depth and technical on this?

More than I even have time to address here.

Wonder about potential balance benefits from a flip flop hub.

Tremendous balance advantage, even better than what you get from a 2-bolt stem faceplate vs. 4-bolt.

But, with good equipment I think I can be happy with a standard non-drive side.

Many of us have learned to settle for one, so long as it's good equipment.

Also, I think flip flop hubs may generally be longer, which may have drawbacks.

Well, obviously.

I can make a wrong decision on this but would prefer not have that decision be a flip flop hub.

Also goes without saying. Please update us when you've made your choice!

Now, in all seriousness, here's what you should do:

Make sure your bike frame has 120mm rear axle spacing (the Over-Locknut Dimension). Then, choose a track hub that you like and can afford. Simple as that! If you want to use a freewheel--with or without a fixed cog on the other side--get one with fixed/free threading, or with fixed/fixed (a freewheel will fit either). In fact, you can even get a single side fixed thread and put a freewheel on it. You won't need to buy a lock ring, but will need brakes. If you only want a fixed cog, you can get a single sided fixed, a fixed/free, or a fixed/fixed. Now, here's where it gets tricky. If you want two different fixed cogs, you need a fixed/fixed two-sided hub. If you get a two-sided, aka "flip-flop" and you only have one cog, that's okay--you don't have to put anything on the other side. That's all there is to it! You should fret more over the color of the hub than what's on the side you're not using... seriously.

50voltphantom 08-01-18 12:13 PM

^Nonsense. Single-sided track hubs look waaaaaay better.

79pmooney 08-01-18 12:37 PM

I am not sure what you are asking with your question on "balance". Are you asking about dish or how the bike handles as you ride? I have many miles on both single fix gear wheels and fix-fix wheels. I cannot tell, either riding or maintenance-wise, the difference. Both have flanges much further apart and more symmetrical than any cassette geared bike so they build up strong, stiff laterally, reliable wheels, even with very light spokes. (The dish in a one-sided track hub is completely trivial.)

Ben

79pmooney 08-01-18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 50voltphantom (Post 20482379)
^Nonsense. Single-sided track hubs look waaaaaay better.

Maybe but there is a rich history with the double sided. It allowed racers to ride their only only bike to the veldrome (or in England 80 years ago, the grass flat track), flip the wheel and race, then ride home. (You might be looking waaaaay better but you'd be lugging that 48-14 up the 2 mile hill to get home to your shower.)

Ben

TimothyH 08-01-18 12:48 PM

Flip flop will be better for Long Island.

You can run a high gear for flat rides from Manorville to Greenport and a lower gear for hilly rides from Shoreham to Port Jefferson to Huntington.

The rest of the issues mentioned are non-issues. Don't worry about it. There are no balance issues.

-Tim-