Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Front wheel bent (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178974)

sirjag 07-21-19 02:38 PM

Front wheel bent

With bike on stand, i spin front tire as fast as i can and i can see a very clear gap for a whole revolution at my disc breaks. However, if i shift my vision to the side wall of tire i see about 1/4 inch deflection off the right side of tire. When i stop the wheel at this spot i can see no signs of obvious damage. Nor can i see anything out of wack on the spokes. All the spokes are tight.

Bike is new 2018 Giant Contend SL Disc, with about 500 miles total. The tires only have about 100 miles on them as i recently when wider to 28s from the stock 25s (same tire maker).

Is that 1/4 inch an issue?

thanks for any info yall can provide,
JAG

StephenH 07-21-19 02:47 PM

Is the deflection in JUST the tire? Or the rim also? Or the brake disk?
If it's JUST the tire and the rim is true, let the air out of the tire, see if it can be shifted around to seat better, or if maybe the tube is under the rim somewhere.
If it's tire and the rim, rim needs to be re-trued, or, if too messed up, replaced.
If the brake disk is out-of-true, it may be possible to gently bend it back, or may be easier to replace. A bent brake disk and out-of-true wheel are generally issues unrelated to each other.

sirjag 07-21-19 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by StephenH (Post 21037967)
Is the deflection in JUST the tire? Or the rim also? Or the brake disk?
If it's JUST the tire and the rim is true, let the air out of the tire, see if it can be shifted around to seat better, or if maybe the tube is under the rim somewhere.
If it's tire and the rim, rim needs to be re-trued, or, if too messed up, replaced.
If the brake disk is out-of-true, it may be possible to gently bend it back, or may be easier to replace. A bent brake disk and out-of-true wheel are generally issues unrelated to each other.

the disc is true. Only the tire has a 1/4 deflection on one side, in one spot. The Rim looks true too, just based on holding my head steady against the desk and watching the rim spin in place...the edges dont seem to move at all. Tubless tires.

JAG

topflightpro 07-21-19 04:51 PM

It could be the wheel is slightly out of true, but if it's not rubbing anything, it's not really an issue.

And sometimes, labels on tires can give the impression that the tire is wider at points even if it isn't.

sirjag 07-21-19 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 21038142)
It could be the wheel is slightly out of true, but if it's not rubbing anything, it's not really an issue.

And sometimes, labels on tires can give the impression that the tire is wider at points even if it isn't.

thanks for insight my friend...def not rubbing anywhere...ill worry less. planning on taking bike to LBS for new purchase checkup in the coming weeks...ill see what they have to say as well.

JAG

datlas 07-21-19 05:05 PM

Agree if disc and rim true, problem likely tire. Fully deflate and ensure it’s seated as recommended above. A video could be helpful if problem persists. If front tire has an aneurysm you may need to replace it.

mynewnchome 07-21-19 06:03 PM

Make sure.tube isn't twisted inside tire. Is it near valve stem?

Kimmo 07-21-19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by sirjag (Post 21038046)
the disc is true. Only the tire has a 1/4 deflection on one side, in one spot. The Rim looks true too, just based on holding my head steady against the desk and watching the rim spin in place...the edges dont seem to move at all. Tubless tires.

JAG

So shouldn't the thread title have been, front tyre not mounted properly?

berner 07-22-19 04:48 PM

You can check if the rim is true yourself by holding a felt tipped pen steady against the fork and them spinning the wheel. The pen should leave a near solid line of ink around the rim or be heavily marked in just one or two high places. If actually truing the rim, you can get to within 1/2 mm with this backwoods method.