Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

LesterOfPuppets 04-24-20 02:29 PM

Nice mellow trail ride on the full rigid plus bike today. Only saw two other riders, :bday:

I was pretty stoked to only see one other vehicle at the trailhead, since the trails have been PACKED the past month or so. Maybe the heat scared them off.

rjones28 04-24-20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21436817)

You misspelled "stupid".

LAJ 04-24-20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21436651)
2.2 million? Last I heard it was60,000/ Once italics is turned on, it can not easily be turned off

That was the original projection, from one of the models. It began dropping quicker than the stock market, once sanity prevailed.

Oh. Wait.

Velo Vol 04-24-20 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21436897)
What else would you do with it? You can't eat it, as they say. Even saving it only has value in terms of what you or someone else could buy with it in the future.

The fact that we have savings accounts strongly suggests B.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21436900)
It's 95* here; I'd be happy to loan someone up to 15 or maybe 20 of them.

<raises hand>

Why are Bah Humbug and WhyFi hogging all the heat while Velo Vol remains in winter?

LAJ 04-24-20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21436900)
It's 95* here; I'd be happy to loan someone up to 15 or maybe 20 of them.

I just want some dry weather. I even tried a different bike today in hopes of changing my luck, but that didn't work either.

LesterOfPuppets 04-24-20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21436989)

<raises hand>

Why are Bah Humbug and WhyFi hogging all the heat while Velo Vol remains in winter?

It's the first day of AC use for 2020 in our household. I really wanted to turn it on yesterday, but thought I'd try to tough out one more day in the 86° house, just to see if I could take it.

LAJ 04-24-20 02:51 PM

<raises hand>

Maybe you can use all that cash to buy some.

WhyFi 04-24-20 02:53 PM

My "heat" was ~65° - you'd still need a jacket.

Velo Vol 04-24-20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21436999)
My "heat" was ~65° - you'd still need a jacket.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...913ff8d094.png

seedsbelize 04-24-20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21436846)
Also, can you spare a few degrees of your Fahrenheit, WhyFi ?

Not sure how you're 20 degrees warmer than we are right now :notamused:

104A, and heading for a low of 83A

LesterOfPuppets 04-24-20 02:58 PM

My credit union makes me keep $5 a savings account, but it doesn't pay enough to keep up with inflation, so $5 is all that ever stays in there. Not sure why anyone would keep much money in one these days.

WhyFi 04-24-20 03:01 PM

Took a little ride with the boy. I was still lounging around in my kit, so I decided to just take the nice bike. Nice little bonus was the Cycliq footage -

https://media.giphy.com/media/LpvTdC...TNsi/giphy.gif

Bah Humbug 04-24-20 03:02 PM

<raises hand>

Our savings accounts have value because we can buy things with the money in them in the future Money (of the modern sort) is useless otherwise. You can spend it, you can save it so that you or your inheritors can spend it in the future... or you can use it as a score-keeper for life, I suppose, if you're Gordon Gecko.

But the whole virtue of having a savings account is so that you have money for expenses.

As for weather, I'm in Texas. No idea what WhyFi 's excuse is.

berner 04-24-20 04:32 PM

Gonna be sunny and 60F tomorrow - about perfect.

abshipp 04-24-20 04:52 PM

Weird sound in the headset region of my bike when riding over bumps tonight. It's weird, the preload feels fine but it sounds like the headset is loose and things are rattling around. Need to dig in to that this weekend.

Planned to ride a quick 20 tonight, bailed to end up at 10. Oh well. Felt like garbage anyways.

phrantic09 04-24-20 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21437021)
Took a little ride with the boy. I was still lounging around in my kit, so I decided to just take the nice bike. Nice little bonus was the Cycliq footage -

That’s a decent looking MUP, where is it?

It’s funny you mention taking the nice bike... I don’t have room for anything else in my current house (long story) so I always take the “nice bike” with the girls. I’m pretty sure a guy I saw the other day thought I stole my Cervélo.

rjones28 04-24-20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21437021)

Epic

LAJ 04-24-20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21437197)

It’s funny you mention taking the nice bike... I don’t have room for anything else in my current house (long story) so I always take the “nice bike” with the girls. I’m pretty sure a guy I saw the other day thought I stole my Cervélo.

Every bike I own is the nice bike.

WhyFi 04-24-20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21437197)

Minneapolis. This is pretty typical of the Twin Cities. Great for families and casual rides, but too much traffic for hammering.

WhyFi 04-24-20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21437240)
Every bike I own is the nice bike.

Addiction goals.

indyfabz 04-24-20 06:42 PM

Get off my forum.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3aa4719ec.jpeg

seedsbelize 04-24-20 06:45 PM

We're under a continuous pall of smoke for the next week or so, as the slash and burn farmers on the peninsula, along with Tabasco and Chiapas and all of Central America set fire to their fields in preparation for planting next month. The prognosis for our part of the world is extended drought this summer. But if you're a farmer you do it anyway. What else are you gonna do?

seedsbelize 04-24-20 06:53 PM

When we first arrived in Belize, I asked the farmers what month does this, or that crop get planted/harvested. They had no idea. We plant corn at the end of the dry. We plant rice when the corn is waist high. After the cacao harvest, we plant this, clean that. And on and on. Their lives are cyclical, with no basis whatsoever on the gregorian calendar. And it has been so for thousands of years. The difference being that now, population density is such that those crops can no longer be relied upon. The soil, which used to rest for a minimum 25 years now rests for five years, at best, and often only two
Slash and burn 101

Velo Vol 04-24-20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21437015)
My credit union makes me keep $5 a savings account, but it doesn't pay enough to keep up with inflation, so $5 is all that ever stays in there. Not sure why anyone would keep much money in one these days.

Who's your preferred storer of value? Mt. Gox?

WhyFi 04-24-20 07:03 PM

My son is the WORST when it comes to keeping a secret.

My wife's bday is tomorrow and I wanted to bake a cake for her with the help of my son. While talking about it with him, I got the feeling that he really wanted to surprise her, so I came up with the plan of getting up a little early so that we'd have some time to at least get them in the over before she woke.

Fast forward to dinner prep with my wife, when she says to me, "Colin told me that I should sleep in tomorrow - sleep in as long as I want. Then he said, 'you're not at all suspicious about what might be going on while you sleep in, are you mom? Like, in the kitchen?""

:rolleyes:

Real smooth, little guy.