Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1191005)

Velo Vol 01-13-20 08:03 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21282095)
When men were men - no helmets, no sunglasses, no disc brakes, no carbon fiber.

Strong like bull.

That reminds me. One of my columns in TweetDeck shows the tweets that the people who I follow have liked, and every time I see a 50-year-old cycling photo scrolling down, I know Trsnrtr is online. :lol:

indyfabz 01-13-20 08:17 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21281796)
Wow, call me cynical but That’s a lot of money to gamble on a relationship.

Probably not for him. According to Forbes. his base salary in 2019 was $20 million. His contract is worth a total of $134 million. $9 million in endorsements. He also owns a minority share in the Milwaukee Bucks and launched a $50 million venture and growth stage fund with Roth Capital. He is one of three general partners.

rjones28 01-13-20 08:28 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21282095)
When men were men - no helmets, no sunglasses, no disc brakes, no carbon fiber.

Strong like bull.

The water bottle count looks kind of high -- Velo Vol

ls01 01-13-20 09:05 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21281556)
I was in VA over the holidays (in-laws live in Williamsburg) and did completed my Festive 500. Roadies there don't wave very much. What's up with that?

They are the unenlightened

ls01 01-13-20 09:11 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21281790)
Good news, my headaches came to an end yesterday. Woohoo!

Kudos!

MoAlpha 01-13-20 09:18 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21281556)
I was in VA over the holidays (in-laws live in Williamsburg) and did completed my Festive 500. Roadies there don't wave very much. What's up with that?

We were passed quite gradually by about 40 guys in matching sponsored get-up yesterday and not a one said anything. Some people are just too elite to live.

WalksOn2Wheels 01-13-20 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21282267)
We were passed quite gradually by about 40 guys in matching sponsored get-up yesterday and not a one said anything. Some people are just too elite to live.

A while back on a ride with my FIL and his riding buddy, we were passed by one of the local tough guy groups rides. I didn't mind so much except for the fact that they were super inconsiderate to the point that they almost pushed me off the side of the road.

LAJ 01-13-20 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels (Post 21281913)
Speaking of power meters again, I think I might go to Powertap P1 pedals for the Domane at some point. I think left side crank arm clearance is iffy and honestly I think I'm out of love with my speedplay pedals.

What brings you to Powertap pedals as your choice?

MoAlpha 01-13-20 09:26 AM


Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels (Post 21282275)
A while back on a ride with my FIL and his riding buddy, we were passed by one of the local tough guy groups rides. I didn't mind so much except for the fact that they were super inconsiderate to the point that they almost pushed me off the side of the road.

Hey, we're tough guys too!

Yeah, they'll try that here too and pass you on the right, "yelling hold your line" like everyone on the road is in some goddamn criterium.

MoAlpha 01-13-20 09:42 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21281256)
I booked coach class travel, while wife goes business, thereby saving the price of a very swanky wheel set. However, I don't think that's how it works.


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21281283)
That's exactly how it works.

Let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that this is true. For an elderly 142 lb. Fred with disc brakes, whose current road wheels are advertised to weigh something under 1700 g, what would be a worthy upgrade? I mean, in the sub-Lightweight® category.

abshipp 01-13-20 09:43 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21280985)
The fat bike race was cancelled because 1/2" of snow?

More so disappointment because we were supposed to get more snow than we did. As far as I know the race still happened.

WalksOn2Wheels 01-13-20 09:43 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21282276)
What brings you to Powertap pedals as your choice?

Honestly, I just kind of threw that out there after success with the hub/wheel I just got. For the Domane, I kind of don't want to mess with the crank situation because I feel like the left side PM would most likely not clear, but maybe it would. But in general, I would like a pedal based PM just to be able to swap easily to a new/different bike down the line. After a quick google, the Garmin pedals might be a better route and I can probably swing a deal on them at the bike shop I used to work at. Either way, that is likely a purchase to be made later on in the spring/summer if even that early.

LAJ 01-13-20 09:48 AM

Hold your line. So, in other words, it was a line of Cat 4 and 5 "racers" on their team group ride, which they labelled an "A" Ride.

LAJ 01-13-20 09:56 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21282302)
Let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that this is true. For an elderly 142 lb. Fred with disc brakes, whose current road wheels are advertised to weigh something under 1700 g, what would be a worthy upgrade? I mean, in the sub-Lightweight® category.

https://novemberbicycles.com/collect...ad-disc-wheels

Call them. Let them know what you want, get in on the pre order deal to save $100 bucks, and you won't be sorry.

I also recommend Reynolds anything, but I can't be sure on the weight savings.

MoAlpha 01-13-20 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21282309)
Hold your line. So, in other words, it was a line of Cat 4 and 5 "racers" on their team group ride, which they labelled an "A" Ride.

Yes, it's the friendly advice I used to get in the Weds pm "B" crits at Hanscom Field, back in the early 80s. It's actually pretty funny.

LAJ 01-13-20 09:59 AM


Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels (Post 21282304)
Honestly, I just kind of threw that out there after success with the hub/wheel I just got. For the Domane, I kind of don't want to mess with the crank situation because I feel like the left side PM would most likely not clear, but maybe it would. But in general, I would like a pedal based PM just to be able to swap easily to a new/different bike down the line. After a quick google, the Garmin pedals might be a better route and I can probably swing a deal on them at the bike shop I used to work at. Either way, that is likely a purchase to be made later on in the spring/summer if even that early.

https://www.clevertraining.com/assio...ng-power-meter

People like these, and they are Look Keo compatible. Join their VIP club to get 10% off.

Bah Humbug 01-13-20 10:00 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21282302)
Let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that this is true. For an elderly 142 lb. Fred with disc brakes, whose current road wheels are advertised to weigh something under 1700 g, what would be a worthy upgrade? I mean, in the sub-Lightweight® category.

The wheels I'd recommend are higher quality, but not a ton lighter. Do you care about weight more, or a modern, wide rim bed and tubeless-ready if you're into that? There's a world of difference between 1700g Ksyriums and 1700g Hed Jets or 1600g Aeolus Pro 5 TLRs. There are lighter options if you're after that, too.

Bah Humbug 01-13-20 10:02 AM


Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels (Post 21282304)
Honestly, I just kind of threw that out there after success with the hub/wheel I just got. For the Domane, I kind of don't want to mess with the crank situation because I feel like the left side PM would most likely not clear, but maybe it would. But in general, I would like a pedal based PM just to be able to swap easily to a new/different bike down the line. After a quick google, the Garmin pedals might be a better route and I can probably swing a deal on them at the bike shop I used to work at. Either way, that is likely a purchase to be made later on in the spring/summer if even that early.

AG has her P1s sitting on a shelf after changing them to Vector 3, because she really didn't like the P1s. YMMV, but I'd be hesitant.

MoAlpha 01-13-20 10:14 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21282334)
The wheels I'd recommend are higher quality, but not a ton lighter. Do you care about weight more, or a modern, wide rim bed and tubeless-ready if you're into that? There's a world of difference between 1700g Ksyriums and 1700g Hed Jets or 1600g Aeolus Pro 5 TLRs. There are lighter options if you're after that, too.

Thanks! The OEM wheels are Hed Ardennes+ GPs, which are 21mm ID and tubeless-ready. Weight is really the only parameter that can be improved.

Bah Humbug 01-13-20 10:23 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21282349)
Thanks! The OEM wheels are Hed Ardennes+ GPs, which are 21mm ID and tubeless-ready. Weight is really the only parameter that can be improved.

Ah... yeah, unless you want to go aero or a full WW wheelset I wouldn't bother upgrading those. The only "flaw" in the GPs is round, unbutted spokes. I'm all about replacing stock RS10s, Mavics, Fulcrum Racing 7s, or the like, but wouldn't bother with yours. There must be something else you have the itch for, though. :)

WalksOn2Wheels 01-13-20 10:26 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21282336)
AG has her P1s sitting on a shelf after changing them to Vector 3, because she really didn't like the P1s. YMMV, but I'd be hesitant.

The P2's look better, but an unnecessarily proprietary cleat bothers me.

BillyD 01-13-20 10:29 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21282166)
Probably not for him. According to Forbes. his base salary in 2019 was $20 million. His contract is worth a total of $134 million. $9 million in endorsements. He also owns a minority share in the Milwaukee Bucks and launched a $50 million venture and growth stage fund with Roth Capital. He is one of three general partners.

Not to mention the lucrative State Farm commercials. :lol:

Bah Humbug 01-13-20 10:38 AM


Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels (Post 21282369)
The P2's look better, but an unnecessarily proprietary cleat bothers me.

Their dependability was rather low as well.

Frankly, nothing's worked as simply as our fleet of DZeros, but if you want pedals I'd strongly recommend the Garmins or the Faveros or anything but the Powertaps, honestly.

rjones28 01-13-20 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21282303)
More so disappointment because we were supposed to get more snow than we did. As far as I know the race still happened.

We don't cancel fat bike races for lack of snow around here. They just become mountain bike races with extra wide tires and fewer obstacles.

MoAlpha 01-13-20 10:43 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21282363)
Ah... yeah, unless you want to go aero or a full WW wheelset I wouldn't bother upgrading those. The only "flaw" in the GPs is round, unbutted spokes. I'm all about replacing stock RS10s, Mavics, Fulcrum Racing 7s, or the like, but wouldn't bother with yours. There must be something else you have the itch for, though. :)

I agree completely in my rational moments, when I'm not under the influence of @LAJ and @WhyFi and I don't even think those ghastly straight gauge spokes are slowing me down all that much. :)

Power meter? Nah. I already know the bad news.

It'll all get eaten up in the frenzy of spring boat spending, anyway.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.