Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Dangerous Blizzard in N. Rockies (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185253)

jamawani 10-07-19 03:56 PM

Dangerous Blizzard in N. Rockies

Anyone out there in the Northern Rockies -
On the TransAm, the Northern Tier, the Lewis & Clark
And especially anyone still on the GDMBR -

A brutal early blizzard will hit Wed in the northwest, Thu further south.
Highs will be in the 20s and 30s with lows in the single digits and teens.
Winds up to 40 mph will produce wind chills well below zero.

Montana and northern Wyoming - esp. the high country -
Can expect feet of snow and white-out conditions.
But there will be significant snow in lower elevations, as well.

This is the kind of early blizzard that kills people.

If you are out there, please plan for shelter.
In a few days it will be better.
However, this fall appears to be cold and stormy.
Some falls in the West are long and gradual.
This one ain't.

jamawani 10-07-19 03:57 PM

P.S. It is a deceptive 70 today and may be 75 tomorrow.

stardognine 10-07-19 06:55 PM

Yeah, I didn't see the national forecast, but here in Arizona, it's supposed to be 65F on Thursday, and high 30s F that night. 😮 But then it'll go right back to the 80s & 90s for a bit, before settling into the 70s. This'll be my first winter here, so it'll still feel nice & warm to me. 😁

Be safe, everyone. 🙂

Mountain Mitch 10-07-19 09:25 PM

Thanks for this. I was planning on riding the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes later this week. But, while it isn’t in the heart of the forecast areas, I might have to wait for the spring

pdlamb 10-08-19 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch (Post 21154500)
Thanks for this. I was planning on riding the Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes later this week. But, while it isn’t in the heart of the forecast areas, I might have to wait for the spring

Wonder if the trail will have melted and cleared after a couple days of sunshine?

indyfabz 10-08-19 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 21154953)
Wonder if the trail will have melted and cleared after a couple days of sunshine?

Still going to be cold at night in those parts. Low 30s to maybe 40. Highs in the 40s and 50s. Guess if one were to stay inside that might be o.k.

Mountain Mitch 10-08-19 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 21154953)

Once winter comes to this part of the world it seldom lets go. Sure, it may warm a bit during daylight; may even melt exposed stretches, but the snow will likely remain in shaded and protected areas and riding time curtailed by fewer daylight hours and each end of them too cold to ride in reasonable comfort.

indyfabz 10-09-19 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch (Post 21155893)
Once winter comes to this part of the world it seldom lets go.

BTW...I was in Wallace in June for the second time in two years. This year I did Gold Pass from St. Regis, MT, then descended down to the St. Joe River, camping outside of Avery. Rode into Avery, took the old Milwaukee Road right of way to the Route of the Hiawatha Trail then did the NorPac Trail to Lookout Pass. Went down on I-90 then picked up the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes in Mullan. Headed back into MT via Dobson, King and Thompson Passes. Storm moved in on Thompson. Thought it was going to start sleeting.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8157e7df7f.jpg

stardognine 10-10-19 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by stardognine (Post 21154319)
Yeah, I didn't see the national forecast, but here in Arizona, it's supposed to be 65F on Thursday, and high 30s F that night. 😮 But then it'll go right back to the 80s & 90s for a bit, before settling into the 70s. This'll be my first winter here, so it'll still feel nice & warm to me. 😁

Be safe, everyone. 🙂

Well, it's about 11:00 AM, and still only 67F here. Looks like they were at least close, on the temps. I needed to dig out my wool sweater last night. 🙂
The worst of it here, is the wind. When I woke up this morning, I had sand everywhere, even in my ears, lol. 🙄😉
It's still blowing around pretty good. I can understand the bandana over your mouth & nose thing much better now. 🙂