Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Colnago and Ultegra (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1136613)

Pizzaiolo Americano 02-24-18 04:44 AM

Colnago and Ultegra

So, some of you may remember that recently I bought my wife a used Colnago CLX 2.0 with a record group set. The bike is a 2010. A week after, I ran across a deal on a brand new Cannondale Supersix Evo 105 for her on a deal I couldn’t pass up. Now, I want to use the Colnago as a back up for me. I plan to leave it at work and ride it at lunch on days I don’t feel like going to the gym. I don’t like the record group set. Is it blasphemy to change out the record group set for Ultegra? I can get a new set up for 600.00 installed. I wouldn’t mind taking on the install myself but don’t even know what set up I would need...thoughts?

San Pedro 02-24-18 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by yarbrough462 (Post 20188076)
So, some of you may remember that recently I bought my wife a used Colnago CLX 2.0 with a record group set. The bike is a 2010. A week after, I ran across a deal on a brand new Cannondale Evosix 105 for a deal I couldn’t pass up. Now, I want to use the Colnago as a back up for me. I plan to leave it at work and ride it at lunch on days I don’t feel like going to the gym. I don’t like the record group set. Is it blasfamy to change out the record group set for Ultegra? I can get a new set up for 600.00 installed. I wouldn’t mind taking on the install myself but don’t even know what set up I would need...thoughts?

600 for Ultegra installed sounds good to me. Why are you putting better groupset on your backup bike though?

dunrobin 02-24-18 05:27 AM

You're in Italy, of course its blasphemy. It's your bike, if it makes sense to you do it.
I've had both, record was/is better for me.

Pizzaiolo Americano 02-24-18 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by San Pedro (Post 20188082)
600 for Ultegra installed sounds good to me. Why are you putting better groupset on your backup bike though?

The Cannondale I got the deal on was for my wife. We ride the same size frames. My Cannondale Synapse Carbon also has 105 components. The cost difference between the Ultegra and 105 is pretty negligible so I figured I would go with that.

Sy Reene 02-24-18 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by yarbrough462 (Post 20188094)
The Cannondale I got the deal on was for my wife. We ride the same size frames. My Cannondale Synapse Carbon also has 105 components. The cost difference between the Ultegra and 105 is pretty negligible so I figured I would go with that.

I thought you said the Colnago with record, was bought for your wife? Does she like record?

Pizzaiolo Americano 02-24-18 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 20188107)
I thought you said the Colnago with record, was bought for your wife? Does she like record?

I bought her a new bike and intend to use the Colnago at work for me. I can always ride at lunch but have a hard time after work because of family obligations. I got her a new Cannondale Supersix Evo for 1000.00. I couldn't pass up the deal. The bike was originally 1899.00 but was a close out. The base exchange here does that sometimes and I just happened to be walking through...

Sy Reene 02-24-18 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by yarbrough462 (Post 20188113)
I bought her a new bike and intend to use the Colnago at work for me. I can always ride at lunch but have a hard time after work because of family obligations. I got her a new Cannondale Supersix Evo for 1000.00. I couldn't pass up the deal. The bike was originally 1899.00 but was a close out. The base exchange here does that sometimes and I just happened to be walking through...

Ok, but if you're the one who doesn't like record, why don't you use the Evosix?

Shuffleman 02-24-18 08:44 AM

Many bike related upgrades do not make sense but we do them anyway. With that being said Ultegra vs Record? Record is already on the bike and costs you nothing. It is also arguably a better groupset. We are talking about a 2nd bike here. It makes no sense to make the change out, but it's your money and you have to justify it only to yourself.
Since you asked, Colnago and Campy should stay together.

Pizzaiolo Americano 02-24-18 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 20188120)
Ok, but if you're the one who doesn't like record, why don't you use the Evosix?

I have a new bike...she has a new bike. The Colnago is extra...

jitteringjr 02-24-18 10:04 AM

This blows my mind. Why would anyone go buy a Ford when they already had a Ferrari in the garage in the first place? But then decide they want to put a Ford engine in the Ferrari so they can use it as a beater? No way would I do any of that. You can down shift five gears at a time with Record but only one with Ultegra.

Dean V 02-24-18 11:37 AM

Swap it over if you want. It is your bike.
Also contrary to some here I can easily understand why you might prefer the Ultegra group.
The idea of a Colnago needing to have Campag is rubbish.
I have DuraAce on my C59!

mstateglfr 02-24-18 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jitteringjr (Post 20188413)
This blows my mind. Why would anyone go buy a Ford when they already had a Ferrari in the garage in the first place? But then decide they want to put a Ford engine in the Ferrari so they can use it as a beater? No way would I do any of that. You can down shift five gears at a time with Record but only one with Ultegra.

A bit much to call Record a Ferrari and Ultegra a Ford.

WhyFi 02-24-18 12:13 PM

If you don't like it, swap it over - your doing this for you, not internets peoples. Personally, I think that it makes sense to want to have the same shifting between main and backup bikes.

alcjphil 02-24-18 12:39 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that an Ultegra cassette will not fit on a wheel made for Campagnolo cassettes unless you change the freehub body

gt3racerich 02-24-18 01:29 PM

Could I ask what you don't like about the Record Group set?

Pizzaiolo Americano 02-24-18 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by gt3racerich (Post 20188741)
Could I ask what you don't like about the Record Group set?

I don't care for the shifters. I would also like to have an 11 speed set up. The crank does not take standard size pedals. And probably most honestly, I just like to tinker with stuff. I will probably swap to a cool set of wheels too...

jitteringjr 02-24-18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20188612)
A bit much to call Record a Ferrari and Ultegra a Ford.

No it’s pretty accurate

jitteringjr 02-24-18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by yarbrough462 (Post 20188749)
The crank does not take standard size pedals.

What do you mean here?

Pizzaiolo Americano 02-24-18 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jitteringjr (Post 20188812)
What do you mean here?

The hole for the pedal is larger.

TimothyH 02-24-18 02:23 PM

The Colnago is probaly made in Taiwan.

I wouldn't worry about what parts go on it.

-Tim-

jitteringjr 02-24-18 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by yarbrough462 (Post 20188814)
The hole for the pedal is larger.

Specifically how large? All Campagnolo cranks should use a 9/16”x20 tpi thread. Also you say the bike is 10 speed and from 2010 but Campy switched Record to 11 speed in 2008. Are you sure what you really have?

Pizzaiolo Americano 02-24-18 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jitteringjr (Post 20188833)
Specifically how large? All Campagnolo cranks should use a 9/16”x20 tpi thread. Also you say the bike is 10 speeed and from 2010 but Campy switched Record to 11 speed in 2008. Are you sure what you really have?

Nope...I bought it used...As far as I know, the CLX 2.0 wasn't released until 2010 though...

mstateglfr 02-24-18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jitteringjr (Post 20188811)
No it’s pretty accurate

Heh, i love this forum. Never stops delivering.

jitteringjr 02-24-18 03:11 PM

Still there are only like three standards of pedal threads 9/16x 20tpi is the most common one. There is an old one piece American crank with a smaller diameter at 1/2” and there is a old and rather rare French standard that uses a also smaller than 9/16 diameter of 14mm. Someone would have had to drill the cranks out and put in a larger spindle of which I am not sure was ever made. There was an old larger shimano style that tried to put the pedal bearing inside the crank arm but I can’t imagine this making its way to your much newer bike. What pedals are too small for this?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/pedals.html

Pizzaiolo Americano 02-24-18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jitteringjr (Post 20188884)
Still there are only like three standards of pedal threads 9/16x 20tpi is the most common one. There is an old one piece American crank with a smaller diameter at 1/2” and there is a old and rather rare French standard that uses a also smaller than 9/16 diameter of 14mm. Someone would have had to drill the cranks out and put in a larger spindle of which I am not sure was ever made. There was an old larger shimano style that tried to put the pedal bearing inside the crank arm but I can’t imagine this making its way to your much newer bike. What pedals are too small for this?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/pedals.html

I am a long way from an expert on any of this. All I can tell you is that the pedals shafts on my other bikes are much smaller than the one on the Colnago...