Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Silly Question (Maybe): SRAM Etap Dongle (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1131065)

ov_dragonman 12-19-17 02:54 PM

Silly Question (Maybe): SRAM Etap Dongle

Still waiting on my new bike, one that will be equipped with a SRAM Etap HRD groupset. While waiting, I've been gorging myself with SRAM literature on the group, just so I'm prepared when everything gets here, and came across the Firmware Update Dongle. SRAM says you need one of these to do any firmware updates . . . should the become available. Some online searching shows these are running in the US$50 - 55 range.

While I'm not a total cheapskate, the photos of the dongle show a gizmo that looks like any number of USB Flash Memory devices I already own. Anyone have any input on these being needed? Related question is, have there been any firmware updates, because SRAM has wording to the effect ". . . should they be made available".

alcjphil 12-19-17 03:25 PM

Dongles are wireless communication devices. SRAM uses a proprietary wireless protocol so that shifters can communicate with derailleurs. It makes sense then that in order for you to be able to do updates to your system your computer will need a device that will allow it to communicate with your Etap system

Steve B. 12-19-17 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by alcjphil (Post 20062180)
Dongles are wireless communication devices. SRAM uses a proprietary wireless protocol so that shifters can communicate with derailleurs. It makes sense then that in order for you to be able to do updates to your system your computer will need a device that will allow it to communicate with your Etap system

Dongles can be any USB stick looking device that enable proprietary software, not all communicate via BT (the typical protocol if memory serves). We have software at work that doesn't run on PC's unless the USB dongle is plugged in.

I assume this type of dongle is what enables SRAM software to update a system.

Planemaker 12-19-17 04:23 PM

I added eTap to existing bike and the dongle actually came with the groupset. If you don't get the dongle, I'd ask the LBS where for it.

FYI - I've had eTap for 18 months and there has not been an update to the firmware yet. If you can't get the dongle, I wouldn't buy it until such time as there is an update to the firmware.

Yellowbeard 12-19-17 04:35 PM

Seconded.

The dongle should be packaged with the bike. Out of the box the derailleur batteries should be stored in a SRAM box along with the other eTap stuff, including the dongle.

Source: work in a shop.

ov_dragonman 12-20-17 08:08 AM

Thanks to all for their help! Did not realize the update process was wireless as well and was expecting some hidden micro USB port on the gear itself. Bike is being ordered direct from manufacturer and they have an outstanding rep, so if the dongle is supposed to be included, I should be good to go when everything gets here. Heard from them and there are still some Etap parts they are waiting on. Hopefully everything will be installed today and see a shipping notice in the next day or so.

See? I said it was a silly question! :)

kfurt 12-17-18 06:38 AM

eTap-Dongle not recogized

i have received this ETap Firmware-Update-Dongle together with the SRAM eTap Groupset.
wanted to have a look into it - didn't work on all 3 of my notebook's usb-ports.
Can anybody tell me: what is normally on this Dongle?
I am asking myself how should i apply an update if my pc can't read (and recognize) the dongle which is more or less a USB-Stick?
thanks in advance for any help.

regards
Jochen

Trsnrtr 12-18-18 04:41 PM

Has there ever been an update?

kfurt 12-28-18 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 20710322)
Has there ever been an update?

as far as i know - not yet. But that was not my question.
My question was:
has anybody else tried to look into the usb's directory in order so see what is on the stick?