Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How About Clip or "Clipless SPD" Mountain Bike Peddles??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175880)

allout1 06-17-19 12:26 AM

How About Clip or "Clipless SPD" Mountain Bike Pedals???

I was against this, but I did some research, and I see them bailing out of the pedals fast enough. I see the shoes for these are like normal shoes not like clods which is important. Hehe.

I'm going to do it, and get this system for the full rotation power gain. That'll be a lot of power fun.

What do you recommend? And this is not for the road bike scenario, although I'm not coming off of the streets. I do about 60-100 miles per week in a kind of BMX of the Mountain Bike on the streets thing.

So again I can't do the hardened, clod shoes, and I need to be out of the pedals ultra fast. You're experienced? :D

bakerjw 06-17-19 05:26 AM

I use SPD-SL, the road syle "clod" shoes as you eloquently put it, and I have no problem unclipping when needed. It takes practice.

For mountain biking, I use Crank Brothers Egg Beaters. They allow you to clip in by sliding forward or reverse. Just my preference.

Steve B. 06-17-19 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by allout1 (Post 20982314)
I was against this, but I did some research, and I see them bailing out of the pedals fast enough. I see the shoes for these are like normal shoes not like clods which is important. Hehe.

I'm going to do it, and get this system for the full rotation power gain. That'll be a lot of power fun.

What do you recommend? And this is not for the road bike scenario, although I'm not coming off of the streets. I do about 60-100 miles per week in a kind of BMX of the Mountain Bike on the streets thing.

So again I can't do the hardened, clod shoes, and I need to be out of the pedals ultra fast. You're experienced? :D

How about flats/pinned ?.

Berg417448 06-17-19 09:38 AM

If you go with SPD pedals be sure to get the SH56 Multi release cleats. They a re easier to clip out with than the SH51 cleat.

fietsbob 06-17-19 09:54 AM

I have some old Shimano Mountain bike toe clip pedals .. they're OK..

The S in SPD is Shimano.. 'pedaling dynamics'

Now some pedals use magnets, made by other companies , but follow the 2 bolt cleat mount
that is part of the standards shimano created..

got Time Atac years ago to try the scheme out.. Time, France, another one adopting the 2 bolt cleat,

but offering more muddy feet compatibility ,, in pedal design..

[360 degree power output from both feet is a myth ]

Hiro11 06-17-19 10:05 AM

Yeah, how about them!

caloso 06-17-19 10:36 AM

I always recommend these:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-PD-M520-SPD-Pedals

Inexpensive, bombproof. Although the multi-release cleats are often recommended for newbies, I am not a fan. I prefer to have one single defined motion.

Bill in VA 06-17-19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Berg417448 (Post 20982778)
If you go with SPD pedals be sure to get the SH56 Multi release cleats. They a re easier to clip out with than the SH51 cleat.

This is good advice. The SH56 is silver in color, versus the black oxide of the standard SH51. I have my pedals set on full loose and use the SH56 and have never pulled out even climbing, yet they have always release easily. I also use a Q-tip to put a bit of oil on the clip edge.

Gconan 06-17-19 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bill in VA (Post 20983430)
I have my pedals set on full loose and use the SH56 and have never pulled out even climbing, yet they have always release easily.

Me as well!

PaulRivers 06-17-19 07:34 PM

Dmr Vault Pedals:
https://www.amazon.com/DMR-Vault-Ped...dp/B07G3GN9B7/

I use them because they're the most comfortable pedals I've used. Expensive though. Raceface Chesters are supposed to be good (and much cheaper) but I haven't used them personally.

For shoes Five Ten's use a special rubber compound that is much more grippy on metal pins than regular rubber, it's the shoes pro's downhill racing wear, here's their most stylish version:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...hoe/BTM00.html

JanMM 06-17-19 08:41 PM

Not exactly normal shoes but most SPD-style shoes have recessed cleats, making them walkable.

TimothyH 06-17-19 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by allout1 (Post 20982314)
I need to be out of the pedals ultra fast.

Road pedals release just as fast as SPD pedals.

There is no difference in terms of release. Twist your foot and you are out. That's all.

Originally Posted by Bill in VA (Post 20983430)
The SH56 is silver in color, versus the black oxide of the standard SH51.

Color alone isn't an indication. The 51's come in silver as well.

-Tim-

allout1 06-19-19 03:51 AM

So how does this work as far as the pedal purchase and the shoe purchase?

Do I purchase separately, and I kind of assume that the cleat can be purchased separate of the shoe for the purpose of shoe style selection.

I like how the multi release sounds. More variability seem better. :fred:

Rick 06-19-19 05:29 AM

If you purchase the SPD pedals they come with the SM-SH51 cleats. These always worked fine for me. You can purchase the SM-SH56 cleats separately.

ribikeguy 06-19-19 06:12 AM

I use SPD for all my trail bikes, city bikes, bar cruisers, etc... easy to get in and out and you get the benefits of being clipped in, lots of options for “walkable shoes” out there, I’ve found some great ones on eBay

caloso 06-19-19 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by allout1 (Post 20985651)
So how does this work as far as the pedal purchase and the shoe purchase?

Do I purchase separately, and I kind of assume that the cleat can be purchased separate of the shoe for the purpose of shoe style selection.

I like how the multi release sounds. More variability seem better. :fred:

Cleats come with the pedals. They can also be bought separately.

It isn’t that difficult to learn to rotate out your heel. Some may disagree, but In my experience, it’s better to have one specific release motion that you’re not likely to do accidentally, especially in a sketchy situation.