Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I Am the Most Dangerous Cyclist in the World! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175051)

MattTheHat 06-07-19 01:00 PM

I Am the Most Dangerous Cyclist in the World!

After reading several safety threads here lately it occurred to me just how dangerous my life has become:

1. I have not one, but two crabon bicycles
2. Both crabon bicycles have crabon forks!
3. I have three bicycles with meat slicer-sharp disk brakes
4. I have two bicycles with knife-sharp through axles
5. I have two bicycles running road tubeless
6. I've removed ALL reflectors and dork disks from all three bicycles
7. I run clipless pedals...once I almost fell over
8. I sometimes listen to music while I ride...with BOTH earbuds
9. I sometimes ride without gloves
10. I don't wear any day-glow hi-vis anything
11. Edited to add bladed spokes on one bicycle

What's to become of me?

-Matt

indyfabz 06-07-19 01:03 PM

You must loaded to have been able to afford two bikes. I hear they are insanely expensive.

MattTheHat 06-07-19 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20967532)
You must loaded to have been able to afford two bikes. I hear they are insanely expensive.

Well...I wasn't going to say anything in the other thread, but as a matter of fact, my $10k crabon bikes are getting a little long in the tooth. And frankly, they feel a bit...cheap. I'm currently in the market for a couple of $20k bikes. I'm having a hard time finding any. I'm finding some in the $80k area, but they're obviously for really, really insanely rich people, and frankly are a bit, well...garish...if I'm being honest.

-Matt

base2 06-07-19 01:14 PM

No sharpened bladed spokes?

jideta 06-07-19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 20967527)
After reading several safety threads here lately it occurred to me just how dangerous my life has become:

What's to become of me?

-Matt

Keep rolling the dice friend...

MattTheHat 06-07-19 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by base2 (Post 20967553)

Great, I need to go edit my original post. And yes, more danger.

-Matt

Reynolds 06-07-19 01:24 PM

What's to become of me?

-Matt

At least you wear a helmet, I guess?

79pmooney 06-07-19 01:26 PM

Report back in 20 years.

MattTheHat 06-07-19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Reynolds (Post 20967565)

I do, yes. I was going to add that to my OP but I got dizzy, probably from all the danger. I'm wondering if the protective power of the helmet is offsetting the other dangers.

-Matt

indyfabz 06-07-19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Reynolds (Post 20967565)

My money is on yes, but with the strap unbuckled. And definitely not a MIPS or Trek wave cell.

hillyman 06-07-19 01:29 PM

Start juggling knives while you ride you'll have my vote.

seamuis 06-07-19 01:31 PM

I ride a single speed with only one brake, and I don’t wear a helmet. I’ve ridden this bike at night, wearing all black and while wearing earbuds in both ears. But I do have a 3k lumen front light and a 400 lumen rear, so maybe it’s a wash? I suppose when I’m flattened into the Georgia blacktop by a driver that ‘didn’t see me’ as they were running me over in the far right side of the slow lane, going 20+ mph over the speed limit, I’ll know for a second or two wether I was always being unsafe.

MattTheHat 06-07-19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 20967570)
Report back in 20 years.

WAIT. Do you mean to tell me, with that list of dangerous stuff, that it might take 20 years to experience ill effects?

-Matt

Kedosto 06-07-19 01:32 PM

What's to become of me?

-Matt

OMG!!! What next, tearing the tag off your mattress?!

-Kedosto
*oh the humanity*

shelbyfv 06-07-19 01:36 PM

most endangered:innocent:

MattTheHat 06-07-19 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 20967576)
I ride a single speed with only one brake, and I don’t wear a helmet. I’ve ridden this bike at night, wearing all black and while wearing earbuds in both ears. But I do have a 3k lumen front light and a 400 lumen rear, so maybe it’s a wash? I suppose when I’m flattened into the Georgia blacktop by a driver that ‘didn’t see me’ as they were running me over in the far right side of the slow lane, going 20+ mph over the speed limit, I’ll know for a second or two wether I was always being unsafe.

I'm almost impressed.

No helmet, okay, there's a bit of danger there, I'll grant you that. But a single speed isn't fast enough. That's why I have 22...more danger! Plus, all the shifting is distracting...even more danger.

I will say that I applaud your single brake, though it's probably not disk, so that obviously lowers the danger quotient. It does make me wonder if I should remove one of the disk brakes on my bikes. On the one hand...lighter weight, less wind drag...more speed=more danger. But on the other hand...half the number of meat slicer-sharp disks=less danger. So, it's probably a wash.

I do wear black shorts. In the winter I wear black pants with a black jacket. I guess I should edit my OP.

Yes, a 3k lumen front light is so bright it probably offsets the other dangers. Kind of like eating a candy bar with a Diet Coke. No brainer, really.

-Matt

MattTheHat 06-07-19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 20967572)
My money is on yes, but with the strap unbuckled. And definitely not a MIPS or Trek wave cell.

I'll admit I do actually buckle the helmet. I will admit another dangerous behavior. If I forget my helmet, I don't go back for it. (And, it's more aero.)

-Matt

Paul Barnard 06-07-19 01:44 PM

What's to become of me?

-Matt

I see spontaneous combustion in your future.

seamuis 06-07-19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 20967593)
I'm almost impressed.

No helmet, okay, there's a bit of danger there, I'll grant you that. But a single speed isn't fast enough. That's why I have 22...more danger! Plus, all the shifting is distracting...even more danger.

I will say that I applaud your single brake, though it's probably not disk, so that obviously lowers the danger quotient. It does make me wonder if I should remove one of the disk brakes on my bikes. On the one hand...lighter weight, less wind drag...more speed=more danger. But on the other hand...half the number of meat slicer-sharp disks=less danger. So, it's probably a wash.

I do wear black shorts. In the winter I wear black pants with a black jacket. I guess I should edit my OP.

Yes, a 3k lumen front light is so bright it probably offsets the other dangers. Kind of like eating a candy bar with a Diet Coke. No brainer, really.

-Matt

I ride 80 gear inches. My average speed is 17-18mph. I can do 12 miles in about 40min on average. That may not be strava KOM fast, but it’s fast enough. My brake is a Dura ace 7400 single pivot, so no hot meat slicers I’m afraid. And my bike frame is black. For whatever any of that is worth.

i prefer sour candies, and I hate diet anything.

wipekitty 06-07-19 02:13 PM

My crabon bicycle was purchased USED. Oh the horrors!

MattTheHat 06-07-19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 20967651)
I ride 80 gear inches. My average speed is 17-18mph. I can do 12 miles in about 40min on average. That may not be strava KOM fast, but it’s fast enough. My brake is a Dura ace 7400 single pivot. And my bike frame is black. For whatever any of that is worth.

Your average speed is higher than mine. So, perhaps that offsets the inherent danger of ONE disk brake. But certainly not two!

-Matt

Reynolds 06-07-19 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 20967656)

That's like playing russian roulette with 2 cartridges in the cylinder!

seamuis 06-07-19 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 20967664)
Your average speed is higher than mine. So, perhaps that offsets the inherent danger of ONE disk brake. But certainly not two!

-Matt

I gots the strong legs mate. Fair play on the discs. My frame is 42 years old though. It belonged to a former British pro cyclist that used it as a training bike and was in a front end collision before it came to me. I’m also heavier than the recommended weight limit for a double butted frame.

ChinookTx 06-07-19 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 20967656)

Well, at least you taped over the crack on the down tube...

HarborBandS 06-07-19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by base2 (Post 20967553)

Oooooohh, I'm going to sharpen mine! More aero!