Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Old farts music (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1204514)

thehammerdog 06-12-20 07:31 PM

Old farts music

sitting out side by fire cranking Sirius radio.
classic song on Yatch rock Gerry Rafferty bakerstreet
I just love it.
Kane local nj beer = happiness

BobbyG 06-13-20 07:10 AM

"Baker Street's" opening saxophone immediately transports me back to the summer of 1978, when I was 16 and spent my summer working in my uncle's olive and cherry warehouse near Armitage and Pulaski on Chicago's near-west side. Almost every afternoon "the old men" would turn on talk-radio 720AM WGN to listen to Chicago Cubs baseball. The radio station would use the Gerry Rafferty song "Baker Street" to pad the time until the broadcast team was up and running. (At least that's what I remember).

There I was in the hot, cramped warehouse stuffing jars full of olives and cherries, slapping labels on bottles and boxes, sweeping up broken glass and moving wooden pallets amid the smell of musty cardboard, rotten olives, cherries, cocktail onions, label glue and human sweat.

I'm sure that's not what Gerry Rafferty intended the song to invoke, but almost 45 years later that's what it means to me.

To tie this back in to bicycling, I just checked, and the warehouse is an 8-mile bike ride from the house I grew up in. Because of traffic and stops it took so long to get there by bus, I never considered riding there on my bike, what was then a 2-year-old yellow Azuki 10-speed. Now at 58 I've been biking 9 miles to work for almost 30 years, and I am easily 10 years older than "the old men".

CyclingFool95 06-14-20 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by thehammerdog (Post 21531009)
I just love it.

Nice! Last night was a good one for a fire and a Fat Tire Ale myself. And now you've got me listening to Baker Street - been a long time since I've heard it - not Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd so 104,3 doesnt play it. Some other late 70s classics - Sultans of Swing, Born to Run, Bohemian Rhapsody - none of which I listen to often any more. My tastes tend to run more to the late 70s into early 80s - Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, Elvis Costello, The English Beat, The Specials, The Police, The Clash, and, one of my all time favorite albums - Get the Knack.

Retro Grouch 06-14-20 07:37 AM

Fat Bottom Girls by Queen. "Get on your bikes and ride."

Helderberg 06-14-20 08:04 AM

Heart, Carole King, Blood, Sweat, & Tears, Doors, Chicago, Stones, and later, Baker Street - Rafferty are all on me play list. Had the "Fat Bottomed Girl" poster before they stopped putting it in the album. Got out of the USAF in 72 so that is my mindset. Can't get into today's "music" but then again I am old. I remodeled my first home to Heart and Genny Cream Ale. Damn, I am old.
Frank.

nomadmax 06-14-20 01:49 PM

I just love it.

What does "Baker Street" and "Stuck in the middle with you" have in common? ;)

thehammerdog 06-14-20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21533511)

nothing?
beer?
🤔

Ronno6 06-14-20 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21533511)

Gerry Rafferty.............

Ronno6 06-14-20 05:00 PM

My taste in music has changed over the years....
Forever a Beatles fan,loved most 60's rock
Gone thru Beach Boys, Motown,Country phases....Even developed a profound appreciation for Karen Carpenter's voice...
When I had my multi amped sound system in my van, I got into the bass-rich tunes of Elton John and Madonna......
Now, just pretty much anything from the 60's and some 70's.........

John E 06-14-20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 21533804)
My taste in music has changed over the years....
Forever a Beatles fan,loved most 60's rock
Gone thru Beach Boys, Motown,Country phases....Even developed a profound appreciation for Karen Carpenter's voice...
When I had my multi amped sound system in my van, I got into the bass-rich tunes of Elton John and Madonna......
Now, just pretty much anything from the 60's and some 70's.........

As a lover of so-called "classical" music, I also greatly appreciate much of the folk and rock music of the 1960s and 1970s, back when popular music composers and performers had been trained in the classics and had genuine musical ability.

canklecat 06-15-20 12:09 AM

This week:
The Stranglers -- I'd forgotten how good their early stuff was and how influential they were on later pop. Seems like many of my favorite movies have at least one Stranglers song in the soundtrack (Snatch, Sexy Beast, a few others).
System of a Down -- because the revolution has come around again.
Rage Against the Machine -- same reason.
Maria McKee, solo and with Lone Justice.
A bunch of jazz, from Bird to Brubeck.

nomadmax 06-15-20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 21533796)

Ding ding ding, correct.

He was a member of Stealers Wheel ;)

Helderberg 06-15-20 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21534420)
Ding ding ding, correct.

WOW, this I didn't know. Cool.
Frank.

Kabuki12 06-15-20 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ronno6 (Post 21533796)

you can lead a horse to water , but a pencil must be lead!

AlmostTrick 06-15-20 08:26 PM

Bakers Street takes me back to my first Letter Shop job, where it played over the intercom system regularly when it first came out. Great song. Speaking of streets, this one always takes me back in time in a good way...

serotta 06-16-20 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 21533023)

No offense, but this is one Cover I prefer to the original.

Kimberly Perry knows how to sing it and show it:

gthomson 06-16-20 06:23 AM

Same here

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 21533023)

Funny that you say that because Bicycle Race (Album: All that Jazz) is the song going through my head every day since the weather took a turn for the better here in Canada and I am out riding more than Zwifting on the trainer. I am WFH every day during this pandemic but all I want to really do is bicycle, bicycle, I want to ride my bicycle....
I'm also really fond of that video they filmed at Wimberly stadium ha ha:love:

badger1 06-16-20 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by CyclingFool95 (Post 21532900)
Nice! Last night was a good one for a fire and a Fat Tire Ale myself. And now you've got me listening to Baker Street - been a long time since I've heard it - not Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd so 104,3 doesnt play it. Some other late 70s classics - Sultans of Swing, Born to Run, Bohemian Rhapsody - none of which I listen to often any more. My tastes tend to run more to the late 70s into early 80s - Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, Elvis Costello, The English Beat, The Specials, The Police, The Clash, and, one of my all time favorite albums - Get the Knack.

Heh ... I could have written parts of that list!!

My tastes are pretty broad -- typically if it's 'good of its kind' I'll give something a go. Though not 'disco' or 'stadium rock' -- not never!

However, can't resist a classic example from one of my very mostest favouritest bands:

peterws 06-16-20 04:43 PM

It's all over now; Stones with Brian Jones. I'd be 13 or so at the time, it was a great Summer song. There have been so many geat summer songs and artists.. Still are in all probability.

freeranger 06-16-20 04:53 PM

For me, most anything DIxie Dregs played will do just fine. Steely Dan also, Poco, Doobie Brothers-Stampede is one of my favorite albums. Too much good old music to list!!

Trakhak 06-16-20 05:18 PM

"You trained your bicycle to dance . . . "

From Jack Bruce's first solo album:

big john 06-16-20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 21537874)
"You trained your bicycle to dance . . . "

From Jack Bruce's first solo album:

Tickets To Waterfalls

I have that on vinyl. There is a song Jack wrote that has been done by Leslie West several times.

canklecat 06-17-20 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 21537311)
Heh ... I could have written parts of that list!!

My tastes are pretty broad -- typically if it's 'good of its kind' I'll give something a go. Though not 'disco' or 'stadium rock' -- not never!

However, can't resist a classic example from one of my very mostest favouritest bands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrcemZpOmpI

I was lucky to see XTC around 1981 or so, the middle act before The Police, with Oingo Boingo as the opening act. Possibly the best concert I've attended in terms of musicianship. Alas, that was the tour that contributed to Andy Partridge's anxiety and stage fright. But bless 'em for hanging in there for that tour and putting on a great show.

texaspandj 06-17-20 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 21534420)
Ding ding ding, correct.

After stuck in the middle was recorded Gerry left the band and never toured with stealers wheel in support of that hit so the band had to find another singer.
Interesting to me is how much he sounds like John Lennon on that song and certain words he pronounces oddly on his hit right down the line.
Baker street song reminds me of the song running on empty by Jackson brown because of the same time period. Which reminds me of being in a grocery store waiting on a girl i was dating to cash her check with running on empty playing on the intercom. She was 18 and I was 15 and I'm standing there and she looks at my face which is all marked up and asked what happened. I said oh it's just from sparring. She said " I thought you were better than that" and before I could reply with my witty comeback of you should have seen the other guy, the cashier says NEXT. I spent the rest of the day trying to explain unlike the movies, when when you spar you get hit.
Weird how music provokes memory more than just about anything....well maybe scent too.

Jim from Boston 06-17-20 07:22 AM

Old farts music

I just love it.

A technologist about 30 years my junior mentioned that she admired and wanted to buy a house on Baker Street in her town. So I played the song for her and she knew it, and it captured the ambiance.

Speaking of “old fart music” I have posted, including to this thread, "So, what do "old dudes like us" listen to while riding?"

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 19185494)
Well Sonny Boy, I listen mostly to radio talk shows on my commute. I find podcasts and audio books take too much concentration...too “linear,” while talk shows are free flowing and I can tune in and out.

For music, I have listed my playlist on my profile page (on page 2), a couple hundred songs with about half Big Band tunes before 1950,and the rest Rock Golden Oldies, with about three songs after 1980...they just don’t make them like they used to…:50: