Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   New Wheels (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185325)

Robert A 10-08-19 03:40 PM

New Wheels

New custom-built wheels arrived today. Easton R90SL, WI hubs. Looking forward to my first ride on them in a few days.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...302ebbe331.jpg

cp88mb1 10-08-19 08:30 PM

Congrats. New wheels day can be as fun as a new bike day.

TakingMyTime 10-09-19 07:04 AM

"New" is good.

smashndash 10-09-19 07:07 AM

Fantastic choice. Give us your thoughts on the hubset if you have the chance. Are you going to be racing on them?

I really wanted to spring for a high tier hub like WI or DA on my wheels but couldn’t justify it. Turns out that DT350 hubs have a ton of seal drag and I’ll have to spend some dough fixing that come race season.

GreenAnvil 10-11-19 04:00 AM

Sweet!

noodle soup 10-11-19 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by smashndash (Post 21156266)
Turns out that DT350 hubs have a ton of seal drag and I’ll have to spend some dough fixing that come race season.

Just keep riding them, and they’ll loosen up.

robbyville 10-12-19 08:57 PM

I had those exact same wheels built by November for me. I used them for about a year and a half and then sold them. They rolled as smooth and true as the first day.

enjoy and ride safe!

Jazzguitar 10-14-19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by smashndash (Post 21156266)

I really wanted to spring for a high tier hub like WI or DA on my wheels but couldn’t justify it. Turns out that DT350 hubs have a ton of seal drag and I’ll have to spend some dough fixing that come race season.

I have built 3 sets of wheels with 350 hubs and haven’t found that to be the case at all. There’s certainly no more drag than my 240 hub builds.

Maybe you have too much grease on the star-ratchet?

Robert A 10-14-19 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 21161401)
I had those exact same wheels built by November for me. I used them for about a year and a half and then sold them. They rolled as smooth and true as the first day.

enjoy and ride safe!

Mine came from Spark Wheelworks.

delbiker1 10-14-19 04:00 PM

Very nice. I ordered a new set of wheels a couple of days ago, not as nice as yours, but it was at a terrific price. I bought a set of Campagnolo Zonda with Shimano freehub. I have seen a lot of good comments/reviews on them. I hope your new wheels are all you would want them to be. Enjoy and be safe!

Robert A 10-14-19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 21163675)
Very nice. I ordered a new set of wheels a couple of days ago, not as nice as yours, but it was at a terrific price. I bought a set of Campagnolo Zonda with Shimano freehub. I have seen a lot of good comments/reviews on them. I hope your new wheels are all you would want them to be. Enjoy and be safe!

You'll do fine. Everything I've read about Zondas is very positive. If you land anywhere near 1500 grams, you'll be blown away by the difference relative to OEM wheels.

smashndash 10-14-19 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzguitar (Post 21163559)
I have built 3 sets of wheels with 350 hubs and haven’t found that to be the case at all. There’s certainly no more drag than my 240 hub builds.

Maybe you have too much grease on the star-ratchet?

No, I think I was just expecting that my new wheels would spin faster than my old OEM wheels out of the box. Also, I don't think the seal drag is significantly different between 240 and 350 hubs. They were egregiously slow when I first bought them and have loosened up a bit since, but are still nowhere near as fast as I would expect them to be for a road race bike. I don't see the point in spending $800 on a set of aero wheels only to use bearings that are slower than those in the $50 hubs that came with my bike.

Luckily, I can swap bearings fairly easily if I feel the need to. Obviously I'm going to leave them alone until race season comes around.

Jazzguitar 10-15-19 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by smashndash (Post 21164009)
No, I think I was just expecting that my new wheels would spin faster than my old OEM wheels out of the box. Also, I don't think the seal drag is significantly different between 240 and 350 hubs. They were egregiously slow when I first bought them and have loosened up a bit since, but are still nowhere near as fast as I would expect them to be for a road race bike. I don't see the point in spending $800 on a set of aero wheels only to use bearings that are slower than those in the $50 hubs that came with my bike.

Luckily, I can swap bearings fairly easily if I feel the need to. Obviously I'm going to leave them alone until race season comes around.

You must have had a bad batch then as none of mine have had any significant drag. If this was such a huge problem you wouldn’t see half of the pro peloton riding DT Swiss hubs.

noodle soup 10-15-19 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by smashndash (Post 21164009)

Originally Posted by Jazzguitar (Post 21164351)
You must have had a bad batch then as none of mine have had any significant drag. If this was such a huge problem you wouldn’t see half of the pro peloton riding DT Swiss hubs.

More likely he's putting his bike on a stand, spinning the wheels, and timing how long it takes them to stop spinning. This "test" means very little.