Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1164001)

jamesdak 01-12-19 09:27 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 20742796)

This is my kind of hot!

jamesdak 01-12-19 09:28 AM

I'll throw this out there to get opinions....

Recently built up NOS 1999 Trek Y-Foil 77


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8b90d44dc5.jpg

Noctilux.95 01-12-19 10:31 AM


Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 20744281)
I'll throw this out there to get opinions....

Recently built up NOS 1999 Trek Y-Foil 77


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8b90d44dc5.jpg

Wow that looks so cool!

cycledogg 01-12-19 11:51 AM


Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 20744281)
I'll throw this out there to get opinions....

Recently built up NOS 1999 Trek Y-Foil 77


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8b90d44dc5.jpg

Hot. But I'm not too sure about the crank. It might look better with an older style. Either way, nice build :thumb:

jamesdak 01-12-19 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by cycledogg (Post 20744461)
Hot. But I'm not too sure about the crank. It might look better with an older style. Either way, nice build :thumb:

I hear you. As someone with mainly classic steel bikes I struggle with accepting the fat, lumpy, new cranksets that are all the rage. But on this bike I felt like it was a good match.

I actually scored another R8000 setup for a steal of a price and am trying to decide which of my vintage steel bikes will look of with it on them.

My too candidates....


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...edc6ba4ce2.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...93749254f0.jpg


Hmmm.... Are these hot or not? :foo::foo: ;)

woodcraft 01-12-19 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 20744281)
I'll throw this out there to get opinions....

Recently built up NOS 1999 Trek Y-Foil 77


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8b90d44dc5.jpg


What happened? Did you clean out the entire tri-state area of nice classic bikes?

jamesdak 01-12-19 03:20 PM


Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 20744549)
What happened? Did you clean out the entire tri-state area of nice classic bikes?

LOL, The Y-Foil was a surprised. It was cataloged weirdly on Ebay and I appeared to be the only one to stumble on it. I bid the minimum fully expecting to be sniped and won! :thumb:

robbyville 01-13-19 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 20744533)
I hear you. As someone with mainly classic steel bikes I struggle with accepting the fat, lumpy, new cranksets that are all the rage. But on this bike I felt like it was a good match.

I actually scored another R8000 setup for a steal of a price and am trying to decide which of my vintage steel bikes will look of with it on them.

My too candidates....


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...edc6ba4ce2.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...93749254f0.jpg


Hmmm.... Are these hot or not? :foo::foo: ;)

only in a classic hot way on one of those threads but I love both especially the Davidson (but fix those bars for crying out loud :))

jamesdak 01-13-19 08:25 AM


Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 20745647)

only in a classic hot way on one of those threads but I love both especially the Davidson (but fix those bars for crying out loud :))

But they match the jersey and socks I wear when I take it out! :p

Imagine you're a youngster in black on your murdered out carbon fiber bike cruising at max speed and then this fat old man in hot pink on a pink bike passes you. So much fun when I'm out on this, LOL! :roflmao2:

robbyville 01-13-19 09:50 AM




Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 20745677)
But they match the jersey and socks I wear when I take it out! :p

Imagine you're a youngster in black on your murdered out carbon fiber bike cruising at max speed and then this fat old man in hot pink on a pink bike passes you. So much fun when I'm out on this, LOL! :roflmao2:

Are you kidding me, you would never get a nasty comment from me, but I’ve been labeled (ok self labeled) “most colorful cyclist in the desert” :)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...17af1e4fb.jpeg




logical 01-13-19 01:49 PM


Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 (Post 20743171)



My TCR SL, Madone SLR, Bianchi Oltre XR4, and De Rosa SK Pininfarina.

Hot collection of bikes but the Madone and TCR are the stars of the show for me.

Steamer 01-13-19 02:38 PM

I am probably a fool for playing, but here it goes....
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...458bf9ec32.jpg

MoAlpha 01-13-19 03:04 PM


Originally Posted by Steamer (Post 20746207)
I am probably a fool for playing, but here it goes....
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...458bf9ec32.jpg

Great looking bike.

robbyville 01-13-19 04:27 PM


Originally Posted by Steamer (Post 20746207)
I am probably a fool for playing, but here it goes....
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...458bf9ec32.jpg

Level that saddle, my pee pee hurts looking at it!
Awesome bike IMO beautifully set up. Iíve never heard of KISH before where are they made?

MoAlpha 01-13-19 04:32 PM


Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 20746329)

Level that saddle, my pee pee hurts looking at it!


Was going to mention the saddle too. Mine went straight to numb.

jamesdak 01-13-19 09:12 PM


Originally Posted by Steamer (Post 20746207)
I am probably a fool for playing, but here it goes....
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...458bf9ec32.jpg


Gets a hot from me!!

And I totally understand the saddle too.... ;)

primov8 01-14-19 06:59 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 20742104)

[/QUOTE]
One of the most underrated carbon frame sets on the road. HOT.


Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 20742666)

Can never go wrong with a Speedvagen and this one here is one of my all time favorites. Without a doubt, HOT.

Steamer 01-14-19 08:39 AM


Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 20746329)

Level that saddle, my pee pee hurts looking at it!
Awesome bike IMO beautifully set up. Iíve never heard of KISH before where are they made?

Thanks!

No pee pee pressure - the slot in the middle of the saddle takes care of that.

A lot of folks have to use SA saddles tilted up that way so the middle-back of the saddle is flat-ish when you are sitting in it. If I don't tilt it up that much, it feels like I am sliding off the front of the saddle.

Jim Kish is not as well known as some custom Ti builders, but he's certainly well regarded. He's taught a lot of other Ti builders their craft. His prices are a bargain compared to an equivalent Seven, for example.

Kish Fabrication | Handcrafted Custom Titanium Bicycles

Rides4Beer 01-14-19 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 (Post 20743391)
My 2019 resolution is not to buy any more bikes.

Not sure what else you could possibly add to that collection, well done. I'm partial to the blue, but that Trek :beer:

tigat 01-14-19 11:34 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4fff1bd2c1.jpg

Bandit 2.0, in the studio before delivery.

I'll drum up a daytime shot and post later. Sunglasses advised.

robbyville 01-14-19 03:31 PM

Cant wait to see other pics, that green looks phenomenal, cut that steerer tube when you can though!

nycphotography 01-14-19 05:18 PM


Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 20747821)
Cant wait to see other pics, that green looks phenomenal, cut that steerer tube when you can though!

I personally tend to keep 15-20mm above the stem, myself. I can restack for resale, or, gack hate to admit it, restack it for indoor season on the trainer.

nycphotography 01-14-19 05:19 PM


Originally Posted by tigat (Post 20747354)
Bandit 2.0, in the studio before delivery.

What bike is that? I've never heard of a trek bandit.

tigat 01-14-19 06:14 PM


Originally Posted by nycphotography (Post 20748020)
What bike is that? I've never heard of a trek bandit.

The frame is a Domane. The story behind the Bandit name (painted on the top tube) is as follows, part of a longer description of the paint and design:

A bit over a year ago [almost 2 now], my friends at Trek Bicycle Corporation and I embarked on the reimagining of the Bandit, a bicycle adapted to a one-handed rider. I am that one-handed rider. My left arm went missing at the shoulder many years ago, victim of a run in between the sailboat I was on and a high power line. I am also, at least to my brothers, the Bandit, taken from the nickname given to slot machines, and a reflection of my brothersí belief that any money I win from them on the golf course is an act of larceny.

When Trek produced the original version of this bike five years ago, we passed the Bandit name along to it. It stuck.

Between the first Bandit and the start of Bandit 2.0, there were some changes in Trek's Project One, custom bike program. Now, in addition to choosing color schemes within a set group of designs (which was already pretty cool), riders can start with a clean slate and, working with Trek's artists and painters, they can create a bike that is uniquely theirs.

My first thought was that there is only so much that can be drawn upon the scant surface area and oddly shaped tubes of a road bike, that the canvas offered by a bicycle was too small to do much. In my limited imagination, every conceivable design and combination had already been tried. So, with no set image in mind, I accepted Trek's invitation to simply send along something to inspire the design-a name, a story, perhaps a picture or two.

The Bandit name was a given. I don't think the wonderful people at Trek, especially ..., the lead designer from the start, who have invested their creativity and passion in this project over the past six years, would have permitted anything different. On the occasions I brought the Bandit back for rides, the Trek workforce treated it like a lost child recently found. The bad things we have done may haunt us, but it is the good things that sustain us. To my friends at Trek, the Bandit was a good thing, a reminder of how their work makes a difference.

As further confirmation for the name, on a bicycling tour in Ireland I had listened to stories about the roving bands of Irish torai, bandits if you will, living in the forest and taking back from the English the possessions those foreign invaders had stolen from members of the clan. Like so many other things misappropriated by the English (the ability to cook a decent meal sadly not among them), the legend of Robin Hood certainly was one.

This new Bandit, I decided, would need more than just a touch of green. Riding it would make me feel like a man of danger, a rebel forever connected to his Irish roots, a Fenian crusader on the path to independence.

Noctilux.95 01-14-19 06:54 PM


Originally Posted by tigat (Post 20747354)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4fff1bd2c1.jpg

Bandit 2.0, in the studio before delivery.

I'll drum up a daytime shot and post later. Sunglasses advised.

What a beauty!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.