Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=767379)

reedfe 11-18-15 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 18327301)
East Charlotte Craigslist, by Eddy? I recognize the bike.
I took a short run at it. Very nice bike.

That would be the one. He had mentioned you had looked at it.

Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 18327083)
Dang fine bike. Looks like it's all there, nothing to do but ride it. Well maybe change that rear derailleur cable housing to white. What are your plans? Looks like it's been upgraded all around. You keeping it or flipping it?
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you took jetboy advice and posted it here. Close up pics would be appreciated by all and also info on the bike as well ie components, plans etc. (Pic assist somebody) Later.
Sidenote : New "Cool" Whip or Hwhip. Hah.

Thanks! Everything functions wonderfully. I've done a couple rides on it already and, with the exception of one dropped chain thanks to the front derailler limit being to far, there have been no problems. Its a quick bike.

I'll be keeping it and using it as my road bike. I'm big into mountain biking but figured I'd give this road biking thing a shot.
In regards to components it has:
Sante: Brakes, Crankset, 7 speed Freewheel
600 Tricolor: FD, RD, Front hub, Pedals
105: Headset, 7 speed indexed downtube shifters
RX100: Brake Levers
Cinelli: Bars and Stem

The bike paint is in pretty good condition. There are some spots that have been touched up but I've only noticed them when I was looking for them. The decals are all pretty much pristine which is nice.

I was thinking of getting a complete group on it. It used to be I wanted 600 Tricolor on it but the sante components look really nice on the frame. But this is something that's far down the road. I do need to get around to giving it a full wipedown/clean. That will probably happen this weekend.

Here's some photos:

Centurion Slideshow by reedfe | Photobucket

fleslider 11-19-15 12:51 AM

Nice bikes guys.. man we got some beautiful bikes in this thread.. maybe its just that im partial to CIM's .. nahh that cant be it.

reedfe, Keep that Sante that is some nice stuff i would love to build a bike with Sante.

Long live the Centurion Spirit!

texaspandj 11-19-15 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 18328436)
ironman: "secure your own before assisting others"

Hah. I had to hear that 4 times the last time I flew (on a plane).1.initial take off 2 .after mechanical 3.after weather 4.after exchange flight. All one way. I was beginning to doubt I would get there.
Your other post was funny as well. About your bike "Tealman". You're right though, seafoam green is the best color............. for you. However I prefer the more mannish color of my fuschia/marigold Miami Vice.

RobbieTunes 11-19-15 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 18328436)
ironman: "secure your own before assisting others"

Sort of like, pick up a weapon, make sure it's clean, so you can do battle and help others.
Sort of.

RobbieTunes 11-21-15 11:39 AM

No big change, just sort of bumping the thread.

I'm building an Ironman for a good friend, and doing so has given me some ideas.
He knows what he wants on a bike, and he wanted some 5700 STI's, in black.
Seemed like a good idea.

I've been reminded what a PITA they can be to install (hint: run the cables through the body first).
Anyhow, pictures aren't great, but the bike rides just fine.

As you see it here, 21.1 lbs. This is with cages, pedals, light, bag, spare tube, lever, CO2 cartridge, CO2 inflator, patch kit, and GU.
I'm sure it's well under 20 lbs the way UCI weighs them (bike only, no pedals or cages). Oh, yeah, and his bike will make this look boring.

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/1986-cent...n-23785_12.jpg

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/1986-cent...n-23785_13.jpg

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/1986-cent...n-23785_14.jpg

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/1986-cent...n-23785_15.jpg

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/1986-cent...n-23785_16.jpg

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/1986-cent...an-23785_6.jpg

texaspandj 11-21-15 03:39 PM

Nice R.T. Admittedly it may look better with complete black sti. However still looking good. I like the all black look though.
I'm sure it's a blast to ride.
I'm changing my tri purple haze white cables,wrap and saddle to black. With so many saddle choices, I'm having a difficult time choosing. I've always felt comfortable with the OEM turbo saddle. But they're kinda pricey. I've used the original flite saddle in the past but they weren't as comfortable for me. Any suggestions? I know it varies individual to individual. Still suggestions would be appreciated. Later.

rccardr 11-21-15 08:43 PM

A Vetta is basically a Turbo with a different cover and brand name, but pretty sure made by the same people in the same factory. Often available for a much lower price because they don't have the cache of the Turbo name. Suede ones came standard on '87 Tempos, but they were beige not black. San Marco also made a nice suede black saddle, very similar, came on Voyageurs in '87 and probably some other years. And there's always the Avocet line, popular in the mid 80's, came on lots of bikes.

Ask around here, you'll probably be able to find some of those (and others) for a decent price.

mountaindave 11-21-15 08:46 PM

Yup. The red white and black of the rims go nicely with the red and white of the paint and black kit. Well done.

Vintage_Cyclist 11-21-15 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 18336258)
Nice R.T. Admittedly it may look better with complete black sti. However still looking good. I like the all black look though.
I'm changing my tri purple haze white cables,wrap and saddle to black. With so many saddle choices, I'm having a difficult time choosing. I've always felt comfortable with the OEM turbo saddle. But they're kinda pricey. I've used the original flite saddle in the past but they weren't as comfortable for me. Any suggestions? I know it varies individual to individual. Still suggestions would be appreciated. Later.

New Selle Italia Turbo 1980 saddles in black, tan or white are going for $40-50 from some of the British retailers like Wiggle, Ribble and Chain Reaction.

RobbieTunes 11-22-15 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 18336258)

I've got the '89 OEM saddle if you want, the Vetta version of the Turbo, as rccardr says, and I'll ship it to you gratis.

I also may paint those brake levers black. A little OCD goes a long way.

lesterp66 11-22-15 09:17 AM

Imagine how sweet she'd look without the wheel stickers...

RobbieTunes 11-22-15 11:24 AM

I'm actually probably going to change back this afternoon.
I have something else in mind, perhaps, for the 5700 STI's.

horatio 11-22-15 11:29 AM

Well, Rob, you've made me reconsider my plans for a "classic" rebuild of my red-white frame.

Nicely done.

Jaredn 11-22-15 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 18335865)
No big change, just sort of bumping the thread...

Wow! Looks like it came that way from the factory. Everything just "fits".

markwesti 11-22-15 01:20 PM

I do like that black out look , nice job RT . But for me right now I like the silver/black vintage look I'm still not all the way there . Stuff to get , black cables new black bar tape , silver brake set and levers . I'm also saving up for Shimano 600 seat post and bar stem. The wheels pictured are 600 hubs 36 spoke, Mavic tubular rims with big fat Giros . Sorry for the crappy pic .
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...pscgktcsfw.jpg

texaspandj 11-22-15 03:30 PM

As I've stated more than twice. I like your bike. The simplicity, the elegance, the vintage look, the flat out FAST look are all contributing factors. Keep it going.
I was just going to post a ramble and you were mentioned in it . What a coincidence. I'll post it later.

Jaredn 11-22-15 03:41 PM

This JIS 27mm fork is going to be the death of me.

The 105 (hp-1055) headset that I bought on ebay was advertised as JIS spec, but the crown race is 26.4mm (measured). It is not the original HP-1050 that came on the bike, but close and the stack height works.

I've already contacted him for a replacement crown race, but just in case ...
Does anyone here have a spare crown race for an HP-1055 headset (the one with the plastic grey covers) that is 27mm? VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano HP-1055, 105SC

RobbieTunes 11-22-15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 18338082)
As I've stated more than twice. I like your bike. The simplicity, the elegance, the vintage look, the flat out FAST look are all contributing factors. Keep it going.
I was just going to post a ramble and you were mentioned in it . What a coincidence. I'll post it later.

+1, he's got nothing but clean, fast bike there.

markwesti 11-22-15 04:05 PM

Jareden , I too have had a learning experience or two with the crown race deal . I have never dealt with 105 , but with 600 I have a little knowledge . Enough to be dangerous for sure . When I changed forks on my CIM I didn't really want to remove the crown race on the old fork , so I bought a new one thinking the race diameter would be the same it wasn't .
PS , tex RT thanks bros .

texaspandj 11-22-15 04:31 PM

My pipe dream is to see the 86 classic done up in the shimano dura ace di2. With all black accessories. However as stated previously , lm stuck in the 80s and financially incapable. But I'd be happy to see anyone's CIM done like that.
Now by their very nature, most CIM owners wouldn't pay that much for a groupset. I may be making some general assumptions here, but I think we're a more frugal bunch no matter what tax bracket we're in. Although we're not ones to brag or be snobs, we do enjoy feeling like we know more than you. Our bikes ride just as well as any high end bike we've ever ridden or currently own. And although no one is ever as smart as they think they are. It gives us a sense of intellectual superiority when we say : "been there done that and chose this."
So the question now is who will be the first? If I was forced to guess. I'd guess RobbieTunes. Let's see, he seemingly (with emphasis on seemingly) has a competitive nature, restless soul, and likes the cutting-edge, and most importantly feels an Ironman is worthy of it. Not sure how he feels about the electronic thing though. I like to reiterate that I'm just guessing on personality traits as I don't know him personally.
Second guess would be rccardr. Although a cannondale man at heart, he appreciates any " good bike " and a good challenge. Plus he has the skills to pull it off.
And finally there's me. Well if I win the lottery. It could happen.
The dark horse is markwesti. Mostly because he's such a traditionalist and it would blow everybody's mind. Later Iron Gents.

RobbieTunes 11-22-15 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by markwesti (Post 18338140)
Jareden , I too have had a learning experience or two with the crown race deal . I have never dealt with 105 , but with 600 I have a little knowledge . Enough to be dangerous for sure . When I changed forks on my CIM I didn't really want to remove the crown race on the old fork , so I bought a new one thinking the race diameter would be the same it wasn't .
PS , tex RT thanks bros .

Been there, done that. Ended up, on a couple of bikes, simply filing around the crown "shoulder" of the fork to make a certain race fit. If I remember, it was on a Schwinn PDG OS Series 3 Paramount, and on a Tommaso.

RobbieTunes 11-22-15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 18338181)
My pipe dream is to see the 86 classic done up in the shimano dura ace di2. With all black accessories. However as stated previously , lm stuck in the 80s and financially incapable. But I'd be happy to see anyone's CIM done like that.
Now by their very nature, most CIM owners wouldn't pay that much for a groupset. I may be making some general assumptions here, but I think we're a more frugal bunch by nature no matter what tax bracket we're in. Although we're not ones to brag or be snobs we do enjoy feeling like we know more than you. Our bikes ride just as well as any high end bike we've ever ridden or currently own. Although no one is ever as smart as they think they are. It gives us a sense of superiority when we say : "been there done that and choose this."
So the question now is who will be the first? If I was forced to guess. I'd guess RobbieTunes. Let's see, he seemingly (with emphasis on seemingly) has a competitive nature, restless soul, and likes the cutting-edge, and most importantly feels an Ironman is worthy of it. Not sure how he feels about the electronic thing though. I like to reiterate that I'm just guessing on personality traits as I don't know him personally.
Second guess would be rccardr. Although a cannondale man at heart, he appreciates any " good bike " and a good challenge. Plus he has the skills to pull it off.
And finally there's me. Well if I win the lottery. It could happen.
The dark horse is markwesti. Mostly because he's such a traditionalist and it would blow everybody's mind. Later Gents.

Close, but for now, steel means cables. When the Ultegra Di2 start to be sold used, perhaps on a repaint.
Baby steps, for me. I've not put carbon wheels on an Ironman, but That day could come.....
One of my friends here has a Fuji Altimura with Campy EPS 11-sp. I'm pretty much afraid to ride it.

revchuck 11-22-15 05:11 PM

SRAM eTap requires only brake cables, the shifting is wireless. Looks like the production stuff won't be out until mid-late spring. I'm already considering 5800 105 in silver for mine, with a 5800 32 hole rear hub. If I win the lottery by then, eTap will be a done deal. :)

markwesti 11-22-15 06:23 PM

HA, thanks for the thought tex . The closest I ever came to that was a build I did about 3 yrs. ago and it wasn't really that close . However the bike did wind up weighing around 15 lbs . and about the only thing on it that was metal were the spokes all six of them . But my mood has changed, obviously for me it's all vintage mid 80's style . I love aero brake levers , down tube shifters and six speeds . And like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders I'm not weight conscious any more . But don't get me wrong I really like seeing you guys doing these fantastic builds with the more modern grupos . Keep up the good work guys .

rccardr 11-22-15 09:13 PM

Not an electric guy, myself, so I'll pass. Have built a few with 5800. but that's no big deal.

Short tale: went on an organized 42 mile ride out in Virginia hill country the other day. Our small sub group consisted of a Trek Project One with DI2, a Specialized high end bike with DI2 and the rubber insert things on the frame, a Trek high end black carbon all aero tri bike, and me on the grey Ironman. About 20 miles or so into the ride, guy comes rolling past on a new white Cervelo, top end everything with matching Cervelo kit. Pays no attention to the Project One, the Specialized, or the tri bike (which, I should mention, was ridden by a very capable and fit young lady). Spends ten minutes pacing with me and asking questions about the CIM.

Yep: Ironman.