Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cateye automatic tail light? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=775232)

jputnam 10-14-11 01:12 AM

Cateye automatic tail light?

My kids having once again run down a fresh set of batteries by forgetting to turn of their tail lights, I was tempted by Cateye's new automatic tail light -- they say it has motion sensors to turn on and off automatically.

Anyone have any experience with this? Quality? Brightness? Waterproof?

jsdavis 10-14-11 03:33 AM

I found one review on it that says it's not as bright as Planetbike flasher that everyone seems to have, but that it is bright.

http://denverlocal303.blogspot.com/2...ht-review.html

The light is probably water resistant, but not water proof.

waynesworld 10-14-11 05:42 AM

I wonder how long it stays on when you stop. I mean, will it stay on through a long traffic light?

Edit: Well, maybe if I'd read the review first. 50 seconds doesn't seem like long enough. I think I'd want more like 5 minutes.

Juha 10-14-11 05:56 AM

50 seconds? That's crazy short, but I suppose you can rock the bike back and forth in traffic lights. And your kids will have to remember to switch off the auto feature if they remove the light and put it in their backpack - otherwise the light will turn on and drain the batteries.

mulveyr 10-14-11 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by jputnam (Post 13362947)
My kids having once again run down a fresh set of batteries by forgetting to turn of their tail lights, I was tempted by Cateye's new automatic tail light -- they say it has motion sensors to turn on and off automatically.

Anyone have any experience with this? Quality? Brightness? Waterproof?

This is why we have a box of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries always ready to go. ;-)

BridgeNotTunnel 10-14-11 07:00 AM

What he said, rechargeables FTW.

CACycling 10-14-11 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by BridgeNotTunnel (Post 13363438)
What he said, rechargeables FTW.

+1

scroca 10-14-11 07:42 AM

Yeah, rechargeables. And a good talking to with the kid. I'd at least get him/her involved in recharging the batteries. That will probably help with the memory lapses.

waynesworld 10-14-11 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Juha (Post 13363238)
50 seconds? That's crazy short, but I suppose you can rock the bike back and forth in traffic lights. And your kids will have to remember to switch off the auto feature if they remove the light and put it in their backpack - otherwise the light will turn on and drain the batteries.

Whoa. I didn't even think of that. I think I read that the auto mode cannot be turned off. That means you either carry it around with you and it stays on, you leave it on the bike, or you take out the batteries. That seems odd.

sauerwald 10-14-11 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Juha (Post 13363238)
50 seconds? That's crazy short, .

I would think that 50 seconds would be enough. It is true that some of the lights that I stop at have cycles that are much longer than that, I only really need the blinky when stopped until a car comes up behind me and stops, once we are both stopped and waiting for the light, I don't really care if my blinkie is blinking. As soon as the light turns green and I start moving again, the light would come back on.

Juha 10-17-11 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by waynesworld (Post 13364064)
Whoa. I didn't even think of that. I think I read that the auto mode cannot be turned off.

From the review that jsdavis linked to in post #2 (emphasis mine):

Say you lock the bike up outside of your office and take the lights with you inside of your bag, what will happen? You guessed it, the lights will sense darkness and motion and they'll light up the inside of your luggage and will continue doing so for 50 seconds after you settle down and stop bumping them about. If you plan to do this, you can disable the auto function by holding the power button down.
Seems it can be disabled. I agree with other posters about rechargeable batteries, but you'd still have to have them charged and ready. Fortunately, with the low shelf discharge types (such as Sanyo Eneloops), storing charged batteries for weeks or months is actually an option.

The ultimate solution would be a dynohub and front and rear lights with light sensor. That way you wouldn't have to worry about batteries or even switching the lights on/off. They'd come on for even a short underpass, then switch off again shortly after the tunnel. This option is more expensive though.

--J

Juha 10-17-11 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by sauerwald (Post 13364950)
I would think that 50 seconds would be enough. It is true that some of the lights that I stop at have cycles that are much longer than that, I only really need the blinky when stopped until a car comes up behind me and stops, once we are both stopped and waiting for the light, I don't really care if my blinkie is blinking. As soon as the light turns green and I start moving again, the light would come back on.

I'd really appreciate if the cars passing me would also see there's someone stopped at the light (e.g. I'm turning left, they're continuing straight). At any rate, a car standing behind me would probably cause the sensor to think it's not dark anymore, and switch the light off.

--J

Digital_Cowboy 10-17-11 03:29 AM

What's the lag time for it to turn on once the bike starts moving? I've also read where some don't only have motion sensors but light sensors as well. So that they come on both when the bike is moving AND it being dark out.

One problem with a dynohub is that unless the light has a rechargeable battery built into it, that the light(s) are going to turn off whenever one is stopped.

Another question, it's 2200hrs one has a light system that doesn't have rechargeable battery built in, rider stops at a red light. Lights "die" due to a lack of current, LEO pulls up behind cyclist sees that the light(s) are dark decides to issue a ticket will it stand up in court?

Even with a dynohub setup after one starts rolling how long does it take for the lights to turn back on?

And what else can be powered by a dynohub?

LJ Seals 09-29-19 12:28 AM

I've been using the Cateye Rapid 3 Auto tail light (TL-AU630-R) for a while but I've just placed an order for the manual Rapid 3 (TL-LD630-R).
I don't usually ride at night so my lights are just for occasional use when I can't make it home before dark and when I want to be more visible before dark. With the Rapid 3 Auto I can't make it stay on until it's almost dark so I think I'll be happier with the manual kind.

I've tried partially covering the light sensor in the Rapid 3 Auto with a piece of tape but it's difficult to do this without covering too much of the LED's at the same time.

John_1961 09-29-19 07:40 AM

I just use the back USB port on mine and recharge them that way saves time and money.

alan s 09-29-19 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by John_1961 (Post 21142769)
I just use the back USB port on mine and recharge them that way saves time and money.

Yeah, you pay a little more upfront, but nothing in the long run.

LJ Seals 09-29-19 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by John_1961 (Post 21142769)

I probably would do the same if I ride a lot at night. I have a rechargeable Cateye headlight on another bike.

But with an AA battery I don't have to worry about it dying. My Rapid 3 headlight on this bike also uses the same battery so I just carry one spare battery in my top-tube bag.

tcs 09-29-19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by jputnam (Post 13362947)
My kids having once again run down a fresh set of batteries by forgetting to turn off their tail lights, I was tempted by...

Reelights?

OneIsAllYouNeed 09-29-19 09:09 PM

This thread reminds me of the song Kernkraft 400.

pdlamb 09-30-19 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy (Post 13374544)
One problem with a dynohub is that unless the light has a rechargeable battery built into it, that the light(s) are going to turn off whenever one is stopped.

Even with a dynohub setup after one starts rolling how long does it take for the lights to turn back on?

Many modern dyno lights have a "standlight" feature. On the rear, it'll stay lit up for 3-5 minutes, minimum, after you've ridden a few blocks at a brisk pace.

With a good hub and light system, the lights will come on after perhaps half a wheel revolution.

chas58 10-01-19 10:52 AM

zombie thread from 2011. I'm impressed!

LJ Seals 10-01-19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by chas58 (Post 21145928)
zombie thread from 2011. I'm impressed!

I revived it because I had decided to replace my automatic Cateye Rapid 3 with a manual one and wanted to know if other people felt the same way.
So I just searched for "Cateye automatic" and found this thread.

ThermionicScott 10-04-19 05:13 PM

While we're at it, I'm loving my dyno tailight. No more replacing batteries, or needing to remember to recharge them. I'm sold. :)

noglider 10-07-19 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 21150492)
While we're at it, I'm loving my dyno tailight. No more replacing batteries, or needing to remember to recharge them. I'm sold. :)

Do you also have a dyno powered headlight? If not, you will love it even more than your taillight.

ThermionicScott 10-07-19 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21153479)
Do you also have a dyno powered headlight? If not, you will love it even more than your taillight.

Oh yeah! I started with the dyno headlight, but put off the taillight portion until recently due to the challenge of wiring it. I became a fan of dyno headlights right away, but the taillight was a revelation unto itself! Now, the only battery to worry about is in the computer, and all the lights just work when I ride. Ahhh. :thumb: