Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recumbent (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Touring with a recumbent (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1156910)

lidzau 10-01-18 04:54 PM

Touring with a recumbent
 
EXPERIENCES TOURING WITH GREENSPEED MAGNUM


BACKGROUND

I have just competed my first long distance tour with My Greenspeed Magnum. I am pleased to report that the Magnum performed excellently in all ways.

The tour was a 1100km+ ride through southern Spain. We experienced all road conditions from AutoVias (motorways) to minor sealed roads, gravel roads, rutted farm tracks and washed out dry river beds of loose gravel and sand. I rode over some of the steepest hills I have ever encountered. The Magnum managed all these conditions with ease, climbing steep hills at very slow speeds and taking high speed declines with great stability and comfort. I experience zero mechanical problems throughout the entire trip.

MY PHYSICAL EXPERIENCE

I purchased my Magnum after completing several long distance tours on an upright touring bike. Like most tourers, I experience significant structural pain in my neck, shoulders, back, butt and arms. I was hoping that the Magnum would help reduce the effects and it delivered completely on that promise. I had no physical pains at all while my two riding mates (touring on traditional upright tourers) suffered considerably and required numerous visits to physios as a result. This result alone would be sufficient to justify my decision to purchase a Magnum.

MY TRAVEL EXPERIENCE

Prior to leaving I was very concerned about how the airlines would respond to the Magnum. Whether they would accept it. Whether they would levy significant charges. Whether they would insist on breaking the trike down and having to wrap it up in some way. I need not have worried. I flew with Qantas and Emirates who both accepted the trike without any need to break it down at all. I merely rolled it over to oversize baggage and that was that. When I think about the hassle I used to experience with an upright tourer (having to remove handlebars ,saddle, pedals and wheels and pack everything into a box) this was such a breeze by comparison.

I also found that the novelty of the trike caused many people to acknowledge my presence in very positive ways. Cars tooting and waving, lorries giving me a wide birth and acknowledging me with friendly toots, pedestrians staring with fascination and amusement and giving friendly waves and greetings. All of these added tremendously to the joy of the tour and I do not recall very much of this happening when touring on a conventional bike.

SUMMARY

If you are considering buying a Magnum for touring, go with it. You will not be disappointed. It is reliable, safe, comfortable and fun.

BlazingPedals 10-01-18 07:49 PM


Originally Posted by lidzau (Post 20595205)
Like most tourers, I experience significant structural pain in my neck, shoulders, back, butt and arms.

Is this true for *most* tourers, or just you? I ask because if you post that to the General Cycling forum, you'll get 9:1 responses that riding should cause NO PAIN whatsoever. Which I tend to regard as a defensive statement that really means, "not enough pain to justify changing platforms (to a recumbent.)" :lol:

Glad to hear the Magnum performed well for you. I personally would not want to attempt a long tour on an upright. I like my comfort too much!

lidzau 10-01-18 08:15 PM


Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 20595531)
Is this true for *most* tourers, or just you? I ask because if you post that to the General Cycling forum, you'll get 9:1 responses that riding should cause NO PAIN whatsoever. Which I tend to regard as a defensive statement that really means, "not enough pain to justify changing platforms (to a recumbent.)" :lol:

Glad to hear the Magnum performed well for you. I personally would not want to attempt a long tour on an upright. I like my comfort too much!

Most applies to me and many of the people I have toured with. I am not interested in a debate with those in denial. Nor am I trying to convert anyone. I posted this because I had previously searched for similar input without much success. My hope is that what I posted will prove helpful to others seeking similar info. Thanks for your input.

rydabent 10-02-18 12:25 PM

More and more long distance tourers are going to recumbents, because the upright seating position allows them to see the scenery. And many are using trikes because they sit when stopped, no leaning against something, or having a kick stand sink in and have the bike fall over.

And then there is the comfort factor which is number one. You can put in long days without pain.

StephenH 10-10-18 11:59 AM

From your description of the ride, it sounds like you would be an ideal match for the world of randonneuring, check into that.

TroyOHchatter 10-13-18 06:33 AM


Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 20595531)
Is this true for *most* tourers, or just you? I ask because if you post that to the General Cycling forum, you'll get 9:1 responses that riding should cause NO PAIN whatsoever. Which I tend to regard as a defensive statement that really means, "not enough pain to justify changing platforms (to a recumbent.)" :lol:

Glad to hear the Magnum performed well for you. I personally would not want to attempt a long tour on an upright. I like my comfort too much!

Thanks for the review of the Magnum. We currently have a Rover for a trike and are, in a year or so, going to upgrade to either a Magnum or an ICE Adventure HD. My wife is the primary trike rider, with me still being on two wheels (for now).

I think if one's body is without internal lingering degradation or injury, an upright might very well suite them. But for me, I have the beginnings of carpel tunnel issues as well as left shoulder and hip issues. With that, an upright simply will not serve me over a long distance. That doesn't make an upright a bad choice and frankly, I see the appeal of a DF. But my 50 year old "dad bod" with lingering injuries simply can't hang with the roadies.

rydabent 10-16-18 03:06 PM


Originally Posted by TroyOHchatter (Post 20614198)
Thanks for the review of the Magnum. We currently have a Rover for a trike and are, in a year or so, going to upgrade to either a Magnum or an ICE Adventure HD. My wife is the primary trike rider, with me still being on two wheels (for now).

I think if one's body is without internal lingering degradation or injury, an upright might very well suite them. But for me, I have the beginnings of carpel tunnel issues as well as left shoulder and hip issues. With that, an upright simply will not serve me over a long distance. That doesn't make an upright a bad choice and frankly, I see the appeal of a DF. But my 50 year old "dad bod" with lingering injuries simply can't hang with the roadies.

If you can, before you buy a trike check out TerraTrikes or Green Speeds. In any case go for a trike that has indirect steering.

rydabent 10-20-18 07:01 AM


Originally Posted by lidzau (Post 20595205)
EXPERIENCES TOURING WITH GREENSPEED MAGNUM


BACKGROUND

I have just competed my first long distance tour with My Greenspeed Magnum. I am pleased to report that the Magnum performed excellently in all ways.

The tour was a 1100km+ ride through southern Spain. We experienced all road conditions from AutoVias (motorways) to minor sealed roads, gravel roads, rutted farm tracks and washed out dry river beds of loose gravel and sand. I rode over some of the steepest hills I have ever encountered. The Magnum managed all these conditions with ease, climbing steep hills at very slow speeds and taking high speed declines with great stability and comfort. I experience zero mechanical problems throughout the entire trip.

MY PHYSICAL EXPERIENCE

I purchased my Magnum after completing several long distance tours on an upright touring bike. Like most tourers, I experience significant structural pain in my neck, shoulders, back, butt and arms. I was hoping that the Magnum would help reduce the effects and it delivered completely on that promise. I had no physical pains at all while my two riding mates (touring on traditional upright tourers) suffered considerably and required numerous visits to physios as a result. This result alone would be sufficient to justify my decision to purchase a Magnum.

MY TRAVEL EXPERIENCE

Prior to leaving I was very concerned about how the airlines would respond to the Magnum. Whether they would accept it. Whether they would levy significant charges. Whether they would insist on breaking the trike down and having to wrap it up in some way. I need not have worried. I flew with Qantas and Emirates who both accepted the trike without any need to break it down at all. I merely rolled it over to oversize baggage and that was that. When I think about the hassle I used to experience with an upright tourer (having to remove handlebars ,saddle, pedals and wheels and pack everything into a box) this was such a breeze by comparison.

I also found that the novelty of the trike caused many people to acknowledge my presence in very positive ways. Cars tooting and waving, lorries giving me a wide birth and acknowledging me with friendly toots, pedestrians staring with fascination and amusement and giving friendly waves and greetings. All of these added tremendously to the joy of the tour and I do not recall very much of this happening when touring on a conventional bike.

SUMMARY

If you are considering buying a Magnum for touring, go with it. You will not be disappointed. It is reliable, safe, comfortable and fun.

I just came back from the Recumbent Cycle-Con. I rode a number of trikes, and the Green Speed is one of the trikes that the steering felt linear and good.

evosteve286 01-02-19 06:59 PM

I have a teratrike and love it, i hear nothing but good things about the ones listed above

rydabent 01-05-19 10:27 AM


Originally Posted by lidzau (Post 20595205)
EXPERIENCES TOURING WITH GREENSPEED MAGNUM


BACKGROUND

I have just competed my first long distance tour with My Greenspeed Magnum. I am pleased to report that the Magnum performed excellently in all ways.

The tour was a 1100km+ ride through southern Spain. We experienced all road conditions from AutoVias (motorways) to minor sealed roads, gravel roads, rutted farm tracks and washed out dry river beds of loose gravel and sand. I rode over some of the steepest hills I have ever encountered. The Magnum managed all these conditions with ease, climbing steep hills at very slow speeds and taking high speed declines with great stability and comfort. I experience zero mechanical problems throughout the entire trip.

MY PHYSICAL EXPERIENCE

I purchased my Magnum after completing several long distance tours on an upright touring bike. Like most tourers, I experience significant structural pain in my neck, shoulders, back, butt and arms. I was hoping that the Magnum would help reduce the effects and it delivered completely on that promise. I had no physical pains at all while my two riding mates (touring on traditional upright tourers) suffered considerably and required numerous visits to physios as a result. This result alone would be sufficient to justify my decision to purchase a Magnum.

MY TRAVEL EXPERIENCE

Prior to leaving I was very concerned about how the airlines would respond to the Magnum. Whether they would accept it. Whether they would levy significant charges. Whether they would insist on breaking the trike down and having to wrap it up in some way. I need not have worried. I flew with Qantas and Emirates who both accepted the trike without any need to break it down at all. I merely rolled it over to oversize baggage and that was that. When I think about the hassle I used to experience with an upright tourer (having to remove handlebars ,saddle, pedals and wheels and pack everything into a box) this was such a breeze by comparison.

I also found that the novelty of the trike caused many people to acknowledge my presence in very positive ways. Cars tooting and waving, lorries giving me a wide birth and acknowledging me with friendly toots, pedestrians staring with fascination and amusement and giving friendly waves and greetings. All of these added tremendously to the joy of the tour and I do not recall very much of this happening when touring on a conventional bike.

SUMMARY

If you are considering buying a Magnum for touring, go with it. You will not be disappointed. It is reliable, safe, comfortable and fun.

It would seem to me that your positive report of touring on your trike would encourage others to do so. The lack of pain, and the view sitting pretty much upright would seem to be the major factors that your had fun.

fietsbob 01-08-19 12:02 PM

I help at a bike shop where some people ship their recumbents to, so as to have it reassembled ,
and ready to ride when they arrive via Bus from Portland. After using PDX airport.

And a box and ship of them when their tour ends here and they bus and fly home..
as you would expect the service fee is higher with a more complicated machine , but we manage the task..






...

rydabent 01-12-19 07:29 AM

With a trike you have comfort for long days and a great view. What more do you want when touring.

Oh and add in the fact a trike makes a great beast of burden. They just sit there and you have access to all sides when loading up.

fietsbob 01-12-19 03:58 PM

DHL Sponsored Shipping..


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.