Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Just Got a 4iiii Power Meter. Do I need my Cadence Sensor? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1191823)

illjustride 01-13-20 05:24 PM

Just Got a 4iiii Power Meter. Do I need my Cadence Sensor?

Hi everyone. New here. Psyched to join and spread knowledge in cycling and learn along the way. I just bought a 4iiii Ultegra power meter for my bike. I'm wondering if I need the cadence sensor attached from my old arm on the new arm as I heard that they also have a cadence sensor build in. Just wanted to clarify and ask if anyone can help with this.

saverin 01-13-20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by illjustride (Post 21283017)
Hi everyone. New here. Psyched to join and spread knowledge in cycling and learn along the way. I just bought a 4iiii Ultegra power meter for my bike. I'm wondering if I need the cadence sensor attached from my old arm on the new arm as I heard that they also have a cadence sensor build in. Just wanted to clarify and ask if anyone can help with this.

No. Power meter will provide cadence. You can search for a cadence sensor on a head-unit and the same ANT ID will show up for both power and cadence.

Seattle Forrest 01-13-20 06:34 PM

To determine power at the crank arm, it needs to know how hard you're pressing and how fast you're turning the pedals over. And PMs all promise somewhere in the ballpark of 2% maximum error, which they can't achieve by relying on an external cadence sensor, so they have their own.

Not all PMs have a cadence sensor because if you measure at the hub, you don't need cadence. But yours does.

NoWhammies 01-14-20 10:42 AM

Welcome to the forums! I have a 4iiii PM as well. Great device. Can't speak highly enough about the unit (even if the L/R issue has yet to be sorted via a software update). I had the same question as you when I installed my PM. The good news? No need for a cadence sensor. The PM will handle that for you. As @saverin mentioned, you just need to bring the field up on your bike computer. Cheers.

Bofferdinger 02-28-21 10:19 AM

Cadence to Garmin, how?

Hi,

I get the power to my Garmin but I’m not able to get the cadence. The ANT ID shows up on power but not cadence.

Would love to solve this so that I can remove my Garmin cadence meter.

Thanks

Originally Posted by saverin (Post 21283072)
No. Power meter will provide cadence. You can search for a cadence sensor on a head-unit and the same ANT ID will show up for both power and cadence.

colnago62 02-28-21 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bofferdinger (Post 21945096)
Hi,

I get the power to my Garmin but I’m not able to get the cadence. The ANT ID shows up on power but not cadence.

Would love to solve this so that I can remove my Garmin cadence meter.

Thanks

Have you tried riding yet? I have a garmin I use with an SRM and I think once power was connected, the unit automatically found the cadence data.

Bofferdinger 02-28-21 11:56 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have and it didn’t show up on the head unit but did appear when I transferred to Garmin Connect and Strava.

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 21945132)
Have you tried riding yet? I have a garmin I use with an SRM and I think once power was connected, the unit automatically found the cadence data.

WhyFi 02-28-21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bofferdinger (Post 21945245)
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have and it didn’t show up on the head unit but did appear when I transferred to Garmin Connect and Strava.

Did you add the cadence field to your screen?

Bofferdinger 02-28-21 02:33 PM

Yes, and there is no problem getting it on the head unit when the Garmin cadence meter is paired.

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21945399)
Did you add the cadence field to your screen?

tomato coupe 02-28-21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21283102)
Not all PMs have a cadence sensor because if you measure at the hub, you don't need cadence. But yours does.

PowerTap hubs give you cadence.

woodcraft 02-28-21 02:42 PM

Un-pair/re-pair often helps. Remove & un-pair the Garmin cadence sensor as maybe it is getting in the way?

Bofferdinger 02-28-21 03:21 PM

Garmin cadence meter is unpaired. I have tried it with the 4iiii as well but will give it another try.

Thanks

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21945438)
Un-pair/re-pair often helps. Remove & un-pair the Garmin cadence sensor as maybe it is getting in the way?

Bofferdinger 02-28-21 03:37 PM

Did a full reset of the Garmin (which obviously unpaired everything) and it still did not pick up the cadence meter when I searched for it. However, it now relays the cadence info to the head unit. 🤷‍♂️

I guess all info is relayed through the power meter connection/pairing and all it took was a full reset of the Garmin for it to work somehow.

The old “Have you tried Alt-Ctrl-Delete?”.

Thanks for all answers.

Originally Posted by Bofferdinger (Post 21945484)
Garmin cadence meter is unpaired. I have tried it with the 4iiii as well but will give it another try.

Thanks

Iride01 02-28-21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bofferdinger (Post 21945509)
Did a full reset of the Garmin (which obviously unpaired everything) and it still did not pick up the cadence meter when I searched for it. However, it now relays the cadence info to the head unit. 🤷‍♂️

I guess all info is relayed through the power meter connection/pairing and all it took was a full reset of the Garmin for it to work somehow.

The old “Have you tried Alt-Ctrl-Delete?”.

Thanks for all answers.

Any time Garmin's give you a strange or what you think is strange issue, then do a reset. I've known some people with other types of Garmin devices that do a reset every time they do an update. Knock wood, I haven't had to but just a few times.

rubiksoval 02-28-21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21283102)

Powertaps measure cadence, too.

WhyFi 02-28-21 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bofferdinger (Post 21945509)
Did a full reset of the Garmin (which obviously unpaired everything) and it still did not pick up the cadence meter when I searched for it.

They don't connect as separate devices. At least, mine doesn't (crankset), and neither does yours, it seems.

colnago62 03-02-21 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21945779)
They don't connect as separate devices. At least, mine doesn't (crankset), and neither does yours, it seems.

Mine doesn’t either.