Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   When do you say enough and put them down? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177641)

iowa mark 07-07-19 06:37 AM

When do you say enough and put them down?

I went out on a nice morning ride the other day on one of our local trails and was just getting up on the pedals when CRUNCH. Caught a rock in the wheels of the rear derailleur and mangled everything. Broke the B screw mount, stripped teeth off of both pulleys, bent the cages, and broke off the entire drop on the bike frame. This is my old Trek 2200 aluminum lugged carbon tubed campy equipped favorite road bike. The old 8 speed derailleur is impossible to find parts for, and the drop looks to be part of the aluminum forging of the rear frame. I feel like I'm putting down my favorite dog. I am finding at my age, there are things in my life that are hard to say good bye to. And not just people. Any sage wisdom out there?

Lemond1985 07-07-19 06:42 AM

As a wiser man than I once said ... "pics or it didn't happen". :P

freeranger 07-07-19 07:38 AM

Wisdom dictates "don't take your favorite road bike out on the trails".

shelbyfv 07-07-19 02:58 PM

Hang it on the wall. Obviously there are plenty of derailleurs that would work but if the integrated derailleur hanger is broken, it wouldn't be worth the cost of repair.

iowa mark 07-07-19 04:06 PM

The trail is a nice easy paved few miles along the local river and through a few parks that I've taken several times. The issue, I guess is the loss of one more thing in my life that shouldn't matter as much as it seems to. I know it's just a bike. Just having an old guy moment, I suppose.

Lemond1985 07-07-19 04:12 PM

It's amazing Trek didn't have a replaceable RD hanger. When I broke the RD hanger on my Cannondale road bike BITD, Cannondale gave me a brand new current year frame. That was before they started putting replaceable hangers on all their frames, IIRC.

bobwysiwyg 07-07-19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by iowa mark (Post 21015613)
Just having an old guy moment, I suppose.

I have several of them in a month's time. No worries, you get use to them.. as do those around you. ;)

unterhausen 07-07-19 05:03 PM

sounds like a good candidate for metal recycling. The mechanicals could be fixed, but the frame is toast

Carbonfiberboy 07-07-19 06:12 PM

Maybe that's your favorite road bike, but that's actually a terrible frame. You know your size and measurements. Look online for a used 9 or 10-speed carbon bike. I'm still riding my '99 5200. Don't get rid of the old bike until you have the new one all set up.

TimothyH 07-07-19 06:26 PM

I try to stay emotionally detached from inanimate objects.

One day I can't live without something. Then it breaks or dies, new is purchased and I wish I had upgraded years ago.

-Tim-

rumrunn6 07-07-19 06:32 PM

Sometimes you have to turn your head & spit?

benetga 07-07-19 07:24 PM

Could you make it a single speed?

BluesDawg 07-07-19 08:47 PM

Sorry, man. That's got to be hard to take.

CAT7RDR 07-07-19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by iowa mark (Post 21015613)
The trail is a nice easy paved few miles along the local river and through a few parks that I've taken several times. The issue, I guess is the loss of one more thing in my life that shouldn't matter as much as it seems to. I know it's just a bike. Just having an old guy moment, I suppose.

I am going through this right now helping my octogenarian mother go through holiday decorations that have been in boxes unused for 20 years. She won't part with them. Too many happy memories for her.

OldTryGuy 07-08-19 04:41 AM

When do you say enough and put them down?

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 21015862)
I try to stay emotionally detached from inanimate objects.
One day I can't live without something. Then it breaks or dies, new is purchased and I wish I had upgraded years ago.
-Tim-

inanimate or not, when the Dr. said "very aggressive PCa" it was

has·ta la vis·ta to "the Boys" :eek: :eek:

bicycling is much -- MUCH MORE comfortable now :D

Lemond1985 07-08-19 04:53 AM

Wildwood 07-08-19 11:06 PM

Does Trek make good bikes???

Leisesturm 07-09-19 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21017946)
Does Trek make good bikes???

Beats me ... I mean ... how would I know?
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...797d2ee78e.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6817de6256.jpg

downhillmaster 07-09-19 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by iowa mark (Post 21014837)
I went out on a nice morning ride the other day on one of our local trails and was just getting up on the pedals when CRUNCH. Caught a rock in the wheels of the rear derailleur and mangled everything. Broke the B screw mount, stripped teeth off of both pulleys, bent the cages, and broke off the entire drop on the bike frame. This is my old Trek 2200 aluminum lugged carbon tubed campy equipped favorite road bike. The old 8 speed derailleur is impossible to find parts for, and the drop looks to be part of the aluminum forging of the rear frame. I feel like I'm putting down my favorite dog. I am finding at my age, there are things in my life that are hard to say good bye to. And not just people. Any sage wisdom out there?

I would repair it. That is a great frame and happens to be the same one that Iowa Rep Steve King rides!
Very cool.

velojym 07-09-19 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by benetga (Post 21015975)
Could you make it a single speed?

This. You can eliminate the derailleur, single out the front too, and lighten the bike up a bit in the process. Take it out on light pleasure rides now and then, and have something else to ride when you need a fully functional geared bike.

Alternately, hang it on the wall. That's what I figure I'll do with Jake (2000 Kona JtS) when the time comes. Some of us get attached to our hardware, and there's nothing wrong with that. It just makes for a bit of heartache when something like this happens.

MarcusT 07-09-19 10:10 PM

I am going to be the cold voice of reason:
The bike may have sentimental value, but in the end it was a factory made, anonymous bike that you just happened to purchase.
Now, if it were a custom made frame that you had gone through hell and high water to meet your needs, I would say it may be worth saving.
Find whatever photos you have of when the bike was young and move on.
If you endeavor, you will find a better bike

Koyote 07-10-19 05:59 AM

I don’t become emotionally attached to things...Only to people and dogs. If I trashed a bike tomorrow, I would only be upset about the cost of replacement.

Classtime 07-11-19 06:53 AM

Still looking for a picture of your 2200. And then I'll look for a picture of your new 2200 that you find on CL or EBay.

Barrettscv 07-12-19 05:57 AM

Time to upgrade. I've had a passion for vintage bikes, and still value the collection, but get a good modern bike and don't look back. You won't regret it. These are awesome: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-7.0/2184.html?dwvar_2184_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY&dwvar_2184_pv_rahmengroesse=2XL

RockiesDad 07-12-19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 21023122)
Time to upgrade. I've had a passion for vintage bikes, and still value the collection, but get a good modern bike and don't look back. You won't regret it. These are awesome: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...mengroesse=2XL

x2. Good excuse to get a new bike. It's not like N+1 which is a bit harder to explain to your significant other but now its just a replacement for something that you rode to the ground and got your monies worth and then some...