Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1105191)

globecanvas 04-21-17 06:50 AM

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

revchuck 04-21-17 07:27 AM

I'm doing a solo climbing camp in Arkansas next week and am trying out Air BnB for a place to stay. Still waiting for the person to get back in touch with me. For any who have tried Air BnB, how has it worked out for you?

Creatre 04-21-17 08:18 AM

Oh man, a new one. RIP days of our lives.

TMonk 04-21-17 08:37 AM

Great Portlandia skit!

miyata man 04-21-17 08:52 AM

My butt has already been scuttled and chat chitted out. What sort of water cooler are talking about here GC?

Keeping in mind I have bathed in the waters of the Glenwood-Inglewood cold water spring. This better be fresh enough to constitute the change.

topflightpro 04-21-17 09:17 AM

I thought the rule was we don't close massive threads until 20,000 posts. GC jumping in with the premature culmination.

globecanvas 04-21-17 09:42 AM

I am out of bourbon, toilet paper, and inner tubes. The triad that supports life.

LAJ 04-21-17 09:43 AM

A teammate went down after hitting a pothole on the descent before the turn to Stadium Drive during the AFA Road race. His road rash makes my eyes bleed. I also hit a pothole at the turn onto the same drive on my TT bike, and am quite happy I was able to keep that thing upright. A campus police officer was kind enough to get me back up to the top, so at least the walk of shame was short.

For a government facility, I can't believe how terrible the roads are.

miyata man 04-21-17 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19527459)
I am out of bourbon, toilet paper, and inner tubes. The triad that supports life.

Shiver, shower, and shop.

I recently bought a real patch kit and went through all my old tubes. Knowing current Park Tools low quality surely there must be a better pre-glued patch that is commercially viable to distribute.

echappist 04-21-17 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 19527318)
My butt has already been scuttled and chat chitted out. What sort of water cooler are talking about here GC?

Keeping in mind I have bathed in the waters of the Glenwood-Inglewood cold water spring. This better be fresh enough to constitute the change.

good enough for pan y agua

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 19527526)
Shiver, shower, and shop.

I recently bought a real patch kit and went through all my old tubes. Knowing current Park Tools low quality surely there must be a better pre-glued patch that is commercially viable to distribute.

the Park Tool ones are damned awful. no flex means that the patch won't conform to the contours of the tube. I usually get about 80-90% of the tubes i patch; got about 50% with the Park Tool ones.

Look for the Rema patches on ebay. Speaking of which, i should be doing some patching later today

topflightpro 04-21-17 10:48 AM

I bought two dozen tubes for about $20 when PricePoint shut down. I don't bother with patching.

TMonk 04-21-17 12:00 PM

I graduated out of the patching 'caste' when I got my first real job after college.

I'll still patch but only if I have to out on the road to get home. I carry two tubes with me on every ride so it happens <1 per year.

miyata man 04-21-17 01:16 PM

Not the most ecologically sound thinking, but I hope you at least recycle them.

1/2 mile from home I came across one too many widely dispersed patches of tire hating litter. Couldn't even boot it, the one remarkably amazing long lasting top of the heap product Park makes, and I always carry one with me. Did the walk of shame.

Edit: Thanks for the info on Rema patches. Going to look into that right now since it looks like a bad year for encounters with glass.

caloso 04-21-17 01:20 PM

I bought a box of 100 Rema patches from Amazon. I think I've used 5 or 6.

Creatre 04-21-17 01:21 PM

I still don't understand why people flat so much. I've only ever run Michelin Krylion Carbon and then Michelin Pro4 Endurance and the only time I get flats are when the rear tires are shot (around 4k miles -- if on front for first 2k, then rear 2k). Once I get one flat, I throw the tire out, rotate front to rear, and new on front. And good again for around 2k miles. I flatted one time in a race from a pinch flat, but otherwise it's always rear tire when tire is shot.

aaronmcd 04-21-17 01:22 PM

I've still never patched a tube. Not sure I know how. But these tubes I get at Mike's Bikes are called rubbers, and each one comes with a patch packaged like a rubber.

miyata man 04-21-17 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Creatre (Post 19528138)
I still don't understand why people flat so much. I've only ever run Michelin Krylion Carbon and then Michelin Pro4 Endurance and the only time I get flats are when the rear tires are shot (around 4k miles -- if on front for first 2k, then rear 2k). Once I get one flat, I throw the tire out, rotate front to rear, and new on front. And good again for around 2k miles. I flatted one time in a race from a pinch flat, but otherwise it's always rear tire when tire is shot.

The few choice words I muttered reading that aren't fit to reproduce here. This is a good road in my parts, just look at the pristine line down the center. Once the snow melts everyone really has no reason to sit inside and drink so they salt the roads with glass bottles.

http://stmedia.startribune.com/image...hole0301.1.jpg

beatlebee 04-21-17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by revchuck (Post 19527067)
I'm doing a solo climbing camp in Arkansas next week and am trying out Air BnB for a place to stay. Still waiting for the person to get back in touch with me. For any who have tried Air BnB, how has it worked out for you?

Pretty much the only way I travel now. Works great.

echappist 04-21-17 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 19527904)
I graduated out of the patching 'caste' when I got my first real job after college.

I'll still patch but only if I have to out on the road to get home. I carry two tubes with me on every ride so it happens <1 per year.

i'm still patching tubes 4 years after i've had a real job

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 19528130)
Not the most ecologically sound thinking, but I hope you at least recycle them.

1/2 mile from home I came across one too many widely dispersed patches of tire hating litter. Couldn't even boot it, the one remarkably amazing long lasting top of the heap product Park makes, and I always carry one with me. Did the walk of shame.

Edit: Thanks for the info on Rema patches. Going to look into that right now since it looks like a bad year for encounters with glass.

how does one recycle old inner tubes? I haven't thought it would be possible. Ditto for chains and tires if anyone knows of ways to have those recycles. Though somehow I think the latter goes straight to landfill

I otoh, just pinched two tubes while trying to mount a tire onto a tubeless-ready rim. That truly sucked...

Ttoc6 04-21-17 03:53 PM

Gonna spring on a first page post on the new Misc thread. Hello, future readers!

First real nice day I've been in town for in Seattle today. Not much can make me feel more great about the world than a beautiful day after a god awful winter.

mattm 04-21-17 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ttoc6 (Post 19528455)
Gonna spring on a first page post on the new Misc thread. Hello, future readers!

First real nice day I've been in town for in Seattle today. Not much can make me feel more great about the world than a beautiful day after a god awful winter.

Seattle has really nice nice days. You can see Mt Rainier to the south, the Cascades to the east, the Olypics to the west.

But damn, there are so few of those 'nice days'!

mattm 04-21-17 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Creatre (Post 19528138)

Next time you see a big nail on the road, aim for it instead of going around it. Then you'll see how any tire can flat!

Ttoc6 04-21-17 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mattm (Post 19528470)
Seattle has really nice nice days. You can see Mt Rainier to the south, the Cascades to the east, the Olypics to the west.

But damn, there are so few of those 'nice days'!

Didn't snag a picture, but we rode out to the lighthouse at discovery park today. Looked like a postcard. You're right, full pano with mountains in all directions.

Hoping to head out to golden gardens with some housemates tonight to do some grilling and chilling on the beack.

big john 04-21-17 04:45 PM

In 2007 I fell off a cliff and bounced 40 feet to the creekbed at the bottom. Haven't been near that trail since then, but tomorrow some guys are going and they invited me. Think I'll pass.

revchuck 04-21-17 04:59 PM

Looking for quieter tires for my Focus. The OEM tires on it now are Continental ProContacts in 215/55 R16. Suggestions?

miyata man 04-21-17 05:13 PM

@echappist At least here the Specialized dealers all have a bin by the service desk where you can deposit old tires and tubes. Metal stuff like chains and rims, most shops have a dedicated dumpster or pile that gets taken every so often for recycling. Some places you can even put it in your own bin or set it out for the scrappers to collect.

TMonk 04-21-17 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by echappist (Post 19528434)
i'm still patching tubes 4 years after i've had a real job

I meant that mostly in jest - it's still a thrifty habit.

Truth be told I didn't do it in college either unless I needed to in order to get home :D

Flatballer 04-21-17 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by revchuck (Post 19528559)
Looking for quieter tires for my Focus. The OEM tires on it now are Continental ProContacts in 215/55 R16. Suggestions?

I love continental, I have their bike tires, extreme contact on my car, their snow tires for my car, and eco something on my wife's crossover. But they've all been louder than I'd like. I keep buying them, because my car is loud anyway, but I'm not sure I'll get them again for my wife.

Matt2.8NJ 04-21-17 08:07 PM

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Quietest%20Tires

Flatballer 04-21-17 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ (Post 19528947)

Yeah, I pretty much trust whatever tire rack says, they know their stuff.

My job is unlike any I've had before. Boss comes to me about 3 today. There's a bit of an emergency, can you go to a substation Sunday? And also Monday. And maybe another on Thursday?

At least he's giving me Friday off if I work Sunday. And we get extra pay when we're out in the field in the heat and cold and working long hours around dangerous electricity. This will be the first time I'm in a 500kV station I think. So that's fun.