Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Standover height on 54cm 26-inch Surly LHT? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1067429)

elpy zee 06-08-16 02:58 PM

Standover height on 54cm 26-inch Surly LHT?

Does anyone know the standover height of a 2016 stock 54cm 26-inch wheel Surly LHT complete bike? Surly web site says 31.2 inches, I just wonder if that's accurate.

BigAura 06-08-16 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by elpy zee (Post 18830599)
Does anyone know the standover height of a 2016 stock 54cm 26-inch wheel Surly LHT complete bike? Surly web site says 31.2 inches, I just wonder if that's accurate.

It depends on your tire size.

dim 06-08-16 03:27 PM

don't forget .... if you are looking at a touring bike such as the Surly LHT, and if you will be riding with pannier bags loaded, it's better to buy one size smaller that what you normally use :thumb:

BigAura 06-08-16 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by dim (Post 18830692)
it's better to buy one size smaller that what you normally use

This is true for me: My road bike is a 56cm but my LHT is a 54cm. Both fit me great.

Brett A 06-08-16 03:48 PM

FWIW, I bought a Surly Disc Trucker the same size as my Specialized road bike (54cm) and was able to set the Surly up with the exact same fitting measurements as the Specialized. This is just how I do it. I have the measurements for the ideal set up for me from a pro fitter, and I just replicate those measurements on any road bike. At least as starting point.

A smaller frame would not have let me do that; I would not have been able to achieve the proper sit bones-to-bottom bracket relationship (determined primarily by the length of the femur). Just my $0.02.

Will you be able to ride Surlys of different sizes before you commit?

I'll go get your stand over measurements. Hold on...

Brett A 06-08-16 03:53 PM

Okay. The stand-over height of a 54cm Surly Disc Trucker with 26x1.75" Conti TravelContact tires:

31 1/8 inches measured directly above the bottom bracket.

(The bike came stock with 1.25" tires BTW)

elpy zee 06-08-16 04:05 PM

Thanks for that info, Brett A. I won't have a chance to try any size LHT before I commit (unless somebody near Portland Maine wants to let me try theirs), and bike fitting at the LBS I'm dealing with is having them eyeball you and say "oh, you need a so and so size."

Brett A 06-08-16 04:36 PM

I wish you were a bit closer. I'm down in Central Mass, you could check out mine.

If you were feeling like a road trip, it might be worth your time to drive down to Belmont Wheel Works outside of Boston. I was just there yesterday helping a friend buy a touring bike (A Salsa Marrakesh). They've got so much inventory and knowledge it's amazing.

Ivo_Shandor 06-08-16 07:22 PM

I have a 56 with 1.6 schwalbe marathon supremes. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseem. The bike fits me great, but the standover doesnt leave much room. with clipless mtb shoes, my nads are just touching the top tube . However, i love how the bike fits and I wouldnt go any smaller.

jonc123 06-08-16 07:30 PM

About 31.5" near the bottom bracket...Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26 X 1.6.

54 cm 26" LHT Complete.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7401/2...2637023a_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7451/2...66974901_b.jpg

elpy zee 06-09-16 02:24 AM

Thanks for the info, jonc123.

veganbikes 06-10-16 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by dim (Post 18830692)
don't forget .... if you are looking at a touring bike such as the Surly LHT, and if you will be riding with pannier bags loaded, it's better to buy one size smaller that what you normally use :thumb:

Never heard that one. It sounds pretty bunko too me. I like all my bikes to fit me well undersized bikes aren't as fun for long distance.

dim 06-11-16 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 18836471)
Never heard that one. It sounds pretty bunko too me. I like all my bikes to fit me well undersized bikes aren't as fun for long distance.

not bunko .... it's fact .... when you fully load the LHT, it's easier to handle if it's one size smaller than what you normally use.

lots of info on the surly user group forum, and here is a blog also making mention of opting for one size smaller:
Surly Long Haul Trucker - Touring Bicycle Review - Surly LHT

snip:
When it came to selecting the correct size, there were a few different schools of thought to consider. We took the advice of the bike shop to go for a smaller size than usual in a touring frame. The 60cm, and maybe even 62cm frame would certainly have fit me, but our man Barney at the local bike shop advised me to go for the 58cm in order to have
greater control over my steed when fully loaded, especially when getting on and off. I do have a rather long seat post and a raised stem. I didn’t even need to cut the fork down. What matters is that I feel comfortable on the bike, and so I’m absolutely sure I made the right sizing and set-up choices. Even my partner took the size down from her normal size, 46cm, and she just loves riding her Surly Long Haul Trucker.

veganbikes 06-11-16 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by dim (Post 18836696)
not bunko .... it's fact .... when you fully load the LHT, it's easier to handle if it's one size smaller than what you normally use.

lots of info on the surly user group forum, and here is a blog also making mention of opting for one size smaller:
Surly Long Haul Trucker - Touring Bicycle Review - Surly LHT

snip:
When it came to selecting the correct size, there were a few different schools of thought to consider. We took the advice of the bike shop to go for a smaller size than usual in a touring frame. The 60cm, and maybe even 62cm frame would certainly have fit me, but our man Barney at the local bike shop advised me to go for the 58cm in order to have
greater control over my steed when fully loaded, especially when getting on and off. I do have a rather long seat post and a raised stem. I didn’t even need to cut the fork down. What matters is that I feel comfortable on the bike, and so I’m absolutely sure I made the right sizing and set-up choices. Even my partner took the size down from her normal size, 46cm, and she just loves riding her Surly Long Haul Trucker.

Still haven't heard that before this one. I certainly never had any issues with control on the bike at normal sizing but I could see what they are saying as far as getting on and off but stability was never a concern. I would be more concerned with heel strike and toe clip overlap with fenders, not very of course but a little.

phughes 06-12-16 10:56 AM

I'm barely 5'11", probably closer to 5'10 1/2" and I ride a 56 LHT. It fits and I don't have to stack so many spacers to have my bars level or above the seat. The advice about buying a smaller size is bunk if you ask me. It's personal choice when it comes right down to it and I can handle my "steed" just fine. When I hear that people have to use a lot of spacers to get their bars where they need them on a LHT, I immediately think they bought a frame one size too small.

Squeezebox 06-12-16 11:29 AM

When I test rode the LHT it didn't feel right. Really can't remember what size it was, pretty sure 54. A shorter stem might have fixed it. Maybe?? I managed to test ride a Trek 920 52cm, it was even swapped to brifters by the previous customer. Even the seat height was almost perfect. I'm glad he lent me his bicycle for a ride. I'm over 60 and getting shorter, most of that is in the lumbar area, so a shorter top tube/stem is in order, for me at least. The 52 was comfortable for me, even though my previous bicycles are 54. It was a good choice for me.
So 1 size smaller is worth thinking about.

phughes 06-12-16 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Squeezebox (Post 18839495)
When I test rode the LHT it didn't feel right. Really can't remember what size it was, pretty sure 54. A shorter stem might have fixed it. Maybe?? I managed to test ride a Trek 920 52cm, it was even swapped to brifters by the previous customer. Even the seat height was almost perfect. I'm glad he lent me his bicycle for a ride. I'm over 60 and getting shorter, most of that is in the lumbar area, so a shorter top tube/stem is in order, for me at least. The 52 was comfortable for me, even though my previous bicycles are 54. It was a good choice for me.
So 1 size smaller is worth thinking about.

So, you tested a LHT that was probably a 54, then you tested a Trek that was a 52, so therefore buying a smaller size is worth thinking about. A Trek and a LHT are two different bikes, they use different frames, they aren't the same. Unreal.

By the way, I actually own a LHT and my comments are based on that actual experience. In the end, you have to buy what works for you, but if you buy a size smaller, you will have to stack more spacers to get the bars level or above the seat.

elpy zee 06-12-16 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Squeezebox (Post 18839495)
I'm over 60 and getting shorter. . .

Yeah, I turn 60 this year, and I'm down 1.5 to 1.75 inches from what I was at 50. But then, my doctor advises me to stretch.