Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   where to find blue 700x28 road tires?? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1090274)

TreyWestgate 12-01-16 05:38 PM

where to find blue 700x28 road tires??

Have a road bike that is blue and has some kenda blue road tires, but you can't find these it appears and nothing the 28cm wide.

Most colored wheels are 25cm or less.

Green would be really cool to find as well.

seedsbelize 12-01-16 06:11 PM

CST has white, green, and blue 700C x 28. I just saw them this afternoon at the LBS. I don't imagine it's a Mexico only thing. I currently have bikes running all three colors.

SpeshulEd 12-01-16 06:23 PM

I think this is going to be hard to pull off.

Most dedicated road tires are 25mm or less as skinny tires used to be the old standard, just recently did wider tires start to take off. Going along with that, colored tires are no longer "in" either, so finding good quality, colored, wide road tires are going to be hard to come by.

Now if you could fit a wider tire, that would open you up to CX tires, which come in a variety of colors, but they also have knobbies.

VegasTriker 12-01-16 06:27 PM

Niagara cycle has 10 pages of tires with widths from 28-38 Tires & Tubes - Tires - 700c - 700 x 28 - 38 - Page 1 - Niagara Cycle so you have to look through a lot to find the individual ones that are 28 but at least one $23 Kenda tire is green Kenda Karvs 700 x 28mm Folding Green Tire I buy my tires there because they seem to have a very large selection plus the prices are in line with what other on-line sources charge. http://www.niagaracycle.com/categori...x-28-blue-blue Blue one for $12.56

Oooh, that green color looks awful to me. I love the blue 700C X 23 tire I use. To each his own I guess.

sarahbruce 12-02-16 12:16 AM

It's been a few years since I have bought any "skinny" tires, but I used to have some blue/black Serfas Seca. I remember them being pretty nice to ride and the color was just enough to be noticeable but not overpowering. It looks like they are still available in 700x28.
Bruce

SloButWide 12-02-16 09:40 AM

Amazon - Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Several Vendors have the Cheng Shen (CST).

modelmartin 12-02-16 09:48 AM

Ebay. Just search 700 28 blue.

indyfabz 12-02-16 09:55 AM

Google is your friend.

https://www.purecycles.com/products/...iant=352153859

SpeshulEd 12-03-16 05:00 PM

I think those CST tires (in black) came stock on my old beater...they were heavy!!

I used them when I was learning how to skid. They worked well for that.

Phil_gretz 12-05-16 09:24 AM

Someone Has to Say It...

...colored tires rarely, if ever, look acceptable on a bike. There. I said it. Cream-colored wider tires. Sure. White? Gets cruddy looking fairly quickly. Red? No. Blue? Um, no.

OP should use black. If a vintage bike, gumwalls or Conti Classics are acceptable.

PepeM 12-05-16 10:57 AM

Green?

Vittoria Open Pave.

wschruba 12-05-16 11:02 AM

If you're desperate for blue, and willing to compromise on size, Vredestein makes several nicer models with blue rubber along the sides of the tire...but that is almost assuredly it, as far as nicer tires go.

No guarantee it is the 'right' blue, either...

tarwheel 12-05-16 11:11 AM

Velo-Orange sells a brand of tire called Fairweather Traveler that is available in 700x28 with blue treads (as well as red, green and black).

Tires, Tubes & Rim Tape - Components

nycphotography 12-05-16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 19232601)
...colored tires rarely, if ever, look acceptable on a bike. There. I said it. Cream-colored wider tires. Sure. White? Gets cruddy looking fairly quickly. Red? No. Blue? Um, no.

OP should use black. If a vintage bike, gumwalls or Conti Classics are acceptable.

Someone has to say it... colored tires require a discerning eye and careful coordination to pull off, but if done well can be striking.

However if you have no fashion sense, black is always safe. There, I sad it.

(that's what happens when you presume to give fashion advice as if your perosonal opinion were some kind of universal truth)

Phil_gretz 12-05-16 12:56 PM

Thanks. Actually, I believe this ^. It's just that the "discerning eye" and "careful attention" are rare across the population. So what you typically see are ghastly matchy-matchy color combinations or noisy orange-burgundy clatterings that are at best...disturbing. To pull this off, you need the eye of a artist. Few have it. I agree with your post, BTW.

rmfnla 12-05-16 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by nycphotography (Post 19233142)
Someone has to say it... colored tires require a discerning eye and careful coordination to pull off, but if done well can be striking.

However if you have no fashion sense, black is always safe. There, I sad it.

(that's what happens when you presume to give fashion advice as if your perosonal opinion were some kind of universal truth)

No, someone has to say we don't call them "colored" anymore... ;)

nycphotography 12-05-16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 19233152)
Thanks. Actually, I believe this ^. It's just that the "discerning eye" and "careful attention" are rare across the population. So what you typically see are ghastly matchy-matchy color combinations or noisy orange-burgundy clatterings that are at best...disturbing. To pull this off, you need the eye of a artist. Few have it. I agree with your post, BTW.

lol :thumb:

Artists are fickle as hell. They'll love something on Monday, hate it on Tuesday, and stick a bandana on it and call it Avant Garde on Wednesday.

SloButWide 12-05-16 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by rmfnla (Post 19233244)
No, someone has to say we don't call them "colored" anymore... ;)

Exactly, they're "tires of color". That's much better.

nycphotography 12-05-16 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by SloButWide (Post 19233319)
Exactly, they're "tires of color". That's much better.

Wait, black tires are now tires of color?

I'm so confused. No wonder my bike looks like a ransom note of shades and hues.

FullGas 12-05-16 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 19232601)
...colored tires rarely, if ever, look acceptable on a bike.

OP should use black.

so true...

SpeshulEd 12-05-16 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by tarwheel (Post 19232927)
Velo-Orange sells a brand of tire called Fairweather Traveler that is available in 700x28 with blue treads (as well as red, green and black).

Tires, Tubes & Rim Tape - Components

I also fall in the camp of not really liking colored tires, but will say, these look nice and could really look great on an old touring bike or townie, especially with dull colored frame.

http://store.velo-orange.com/media/c...pped_out_1.jpg

TreyWestgate 12-05-16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by SpeshulEd (Post 19225999)
I think this is going to be hard to pull off.

Most dedicated road tires are 25mm or less as skinny tires used to be the old standard, just recently did wider tires start to take off. Going along with that, colored tires are no longer "in" either, so finding good quality, colored, wide road tires are going to be hard to come by.

Now if you could fit a wider tire, that would open you up to CX tires, which come in a variety of colors, but they also have knobbies.

So the original standard was the 25cm tire??

VegasTriker 12-06-16 02:47 PM

Most of the people here just aren't old enough to remember when narrow, high pressure tires first became common. It was in the early 1970s when the Japanese tire manufacturers started to export 27" tires in either 1+1/4 or 1+1/8 inch sizes. I remember it because I could finally get rid of those sew-up tires that were so much of a pain to patch. You unsewed the tire, pulled out a section of the tube to patch it, and then glued the tire back on to the rim. It was about the same time as the multi-speed road bikes (10 speeds at the time) first took off in popularity. So much for the history lesson.

rmfnla 12-06-16 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by TreyWestgate (Post 19234342)

25cm is a pretty big tire for a bicycle... ;)

SpeshulEd 12-06-16 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by TreyWestgate (Post 19234342)

That's probably the current standard for road bikes. But I remember them being much skinnier.