Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Is this the coldest winter of your lifetime? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=932084)

bikebreak 02-12-14 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by WestMass (Post 16453354)
I'm 30 years old. I can't ever remember a winter this cold.

Yes. Only commuted twice in the past month, using my old mtb.

tjspiel 02-12-14 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by JCNeumann (Post 16468515)
This winter is a PIA for the wild temperature swings. But...not the coldest.

Coldest I can remember was 93-94 in Boston, in particularly January. Below zero for about a month with nasty snow and wind chills.

This year for Chicago must be close, though. I helped a colleague walk through setting up a block heater for his car - he's never had to do that before..

in terms of pure cold, hard to beat Finland and Sweden. I played hockey there for a bit, and I don't remember the exact temps, but you could drive a car on most ponds. The air literally felt blue in December.

It might be very cold in Sweden and Finland but driving on lakes in these parts during the winter is quite common. There are whole villages of fish houses on area lakes. Some even have plowed "streets", pizza delivery, and garbage pickup.

http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-...mille_lacs.jpg

fietsbob 02-12-14 02:46 PM

purdue is close enough to chicago for government work.
Which Branch?

maybe A Bombs, but not U2 Spy plane Photographs..

steve0257 02-15-14 11:31 AM

We had a series of brutal winters in the early to mid 1970s. Stretches where the daily highs were below 0 F. What has done it for us this winter is the wind. It seems any time it got cold, the wind would pick up. Nothing like being out in -15 F with 20 mph winds.

RoadTire 02-15-14 11:46 AM

Naw. But I'm older than I ever have been and the repetation is begining to chill my love the winter wonder land. I need to either move farther north / rural so there are more things to do in the snowy woods or farther south so I can road-bike and camp all year 'round. The shorter good-snow-urban environment-getting-in-the-way-of-bicycling-the-highways just doesn't cut it. Today is't just right to ride the snow singletracks but it's snowing and I don't have goggles yet... next year though.

AceFahrenheit 02-16-14 11:50 PM

26 year old Minnesotan here. **** this winter...

no motor? 02-18-14 12:57 PM

It's finally above freezing here, and it's so nice to finally see all that nasty frozen stuff outside thaw!

HPL 07-06-19 05:49 AM

Warmest Winter

Northern Florida, no hard freezes, 1 frost. It's abnormal that I didn't have to cover/"bring in" my plants, run the water, etc. It's been this way for the last 5-6 years, getting to the 80's in February! I miss the cold, did a tour in Feb/Mar from MA to DC, DC to IL. Only pain was "camping" without tent or bag!

Skipjacks 07-06-19 07:19 AM

Holy resurrected zombie thread, Batman!

no motor? 07-06-19 10:30 AM

Especially in July! It's nice to think about the cooler weather now, but not the stinking cold of the winter.

wipekitty 07-06-19 11:05 AM

2013-14 vs. 2018-19: which was colder? It seems like 2013-14 might have had a bit more snow, while the most recent winter was colder (in the midwest US, at least.)

Darth Lefty 07-06-19 05:38 PM

We had a long wet winter here but not especially cold.

A really bad winter around here looks like this, every few hundred years. This one erased the remaining Mexican economy and left Americans in charge. The only thing that has topped it since is the Camp fire in the town of Paradise

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...to%2C_1862.jpg

HPL 07-08-19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 21014362)
We had a long wet winter here but not especially cold.

A really bad winter around here looks like this, every few hundred years. This one erased the remaining Mexican economy and left Americans in charge. The only thing that has topped it since is the Camp fire in the town of Paradise

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...to%2C_1862.jpg

You learn something everyday; thanks for the picture.

JaccoW 07-08-19 09:00 AM

Stop stealing our winters America!

fietsbob 07-08-19 11:18 AM

When was the last year, you could ice skate on the canals?

JaccoW 07-08-19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 21016920)
When was the last year, you could ice skate on the canals?

March of 2018. But that was just for a few days. The rest of the time it was just around freezing. It barely froze all of January and some days felt like spring with temperatures of 15°C (59F)!

Dark Arrow 07-18-19 01:15 PM

Well this morning it is 3C here in Western Sydney. I think that is the coldest I've seen this winter. I know not as cold as most of you lot but cold as here.

Bear

no motor? 07-18-19 03:04 PM

We'd be glad to share some heat with you.

noglider 07-19-19 07:59 AM

Today at 1300Z, i.e. 9am Eastern Time.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...50d50534f0.gif

Altair 4 07-19-19 09:15 AM

I've lived in PA all of my life. The winter of 1976-1977 was the coldest I can recall in my 60+ years of dragging my knuckles on this rock. Between Christmas 1976 and the end of January 1977, the temperature never got about freezing. That January was the coldest on record - the web says the average temperature was 11.4 degrees F. All three rivers froze (prior to that I had never seen the Mon freeze). And it snowed...a lot, like 50 inches. Being the teenager in the house I was in charge of shoveling snow off the walks and driveway. By the end of January, they all looked like canyons. I was a college student at the time, but I commuted from home to school by bus. I remember buying a heavy wool British army greatcoat at the Army/Navy Surplus store downtown just so I could stand the cold wait for the bus. Without a doubt, that was the coldest winter in my memory.

JohnJ80 07-19-19 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Altair 4 (Post 21034856)
I've lived in PA all of my life. The winter of 1976-1977 was the coldest I can recall in my 60+ years of dragging my knuckles on this rock. Between Christmas 1976 and the end of January 1977, the temperature never got about freezing. That January was the coldest on record - the web says the average temperature was 11.4 degrees F. All three rivers froze (prior to that I had never seen the Mon freeze). And it snowed...a lot, like 50 inches. Being the teenager in the house I was in charge of shoveling snow off the walks and driveway. By the end of January, they all looked like canyons. I was a college student at the time, but I commuted from home to school by bus. I remember buying a heavy wool British army greatcoat at the Army/Navy Surplus store downtown just so I could stand the cold wait for the bus. Without a doubt, that was the coldest winter in my memory.

Here in Minnesota, I think it was 1981-82 winter, we went 72 days below freezing and had something like double our normal snowfall.

Last year we had a nice cold winter with common temps often sub zero (lowest was -38F at our house) and many days below freezing (I think it was most of Dec and January) plus lots of snow. The last three winters have been on the cold side where it has been common for me to go skiing on days where the high was -10F.

I quit riding my fatbike when it goes colder than -5F. I quit riding my road bike when the ground freezes solid sometime in early Dec but often ride at air temps down into the low 20's.

But that's all ok because my other passion is skiing, so cold and snow are a good thing.

J.

CliffordK 07-19-19 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21034728)
Today at 1300Z, i.e. 9am Eastern Time.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...50d50534f0.gif

So, on the "Left Coast" side, it has actually been a fairly temperate July so far.

I think we broke 90 a couple of times, but we've had a lot of mid 80's weather, and even a bit chilly in the evenings.

It has had a few sprinkles several times this month which is rare.

Overall... perhaps not unexpected weather for 30 years ago.