Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Neck gave out (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176668)

paintguy 06-25-19 09:53 PM

Neck gave out

I went for a ride today and about 10 miles into it, my neck muscles were fatigued to where I couldn’t keep my head up. I have had this about 2-3 times this year. I did do a 50 mile charity ride this past Sunday, which was flat and had no problems. I have never experienced this in previous years riding. I had a bike fit last July after buying a new bike.

eja_ bottecchia 06-26-19 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by paintguy (Post 20997369)
I went for a ride today and about 10 miles into it, my neck muscles were fatigued to where I couldn’t keep my head up. I have had this about 2-3 times this year. I did do a 50 mile charity ride this past Sunday, which was flat and had no problems. I have never experienced this in previous years riding. I had a bike fit last July after buying a new bike.

Go see a doctor.

jimincalif 06-26-19 07:26 AM

I experience this occasionally. If I feel it coming on I can usually relieve it by doing “yes no maybe” stretches. I can do a set while waiting at a stoplight.

https://youmemindbody.com/disease-il...ck#mod_7886741

I also find scap pinches to help relieve this. Pinch shoulder blades together.

Interestingly, for other reasons I completely bonked on a ride last month, the neck and upper shoulders really bothered me at that time so I think they are related (at least in my case).

rayooo 06-26-19 07:40 AM

yes, as previously mentioned... be sure nothing is seriously wrong... Doctor!

I occasionally run into this on a ride, stretching as also mentioned earlier during the ride... and doing neck stretches daily for a few minutes when not riding helps a lot in my case.

fietsbob 06-26-19 08:35 AM

See Shermer's neck syndrome Mike Shermer, (now publisher of Skeptics society magazine)
competed in the RAAM ( Race Across America).. and had that issue, big time..

Kedosto 06-26-19 10:09 AM

It's a tumor.

-Kedosto
*it's NOT a tumah!*

Leisesturm 06-26-19 11:36 AM

Whatever happened to the good old days when every twinge and ache didn't send people scurrying to the Oncologist?

jsigone 06-26-19 02:43 PM

raise bars and see the doc, take side pics before and after the bar change setup. Drops and hoods photo.

Jack Ryan 06-26-19 10:27 PM

Stenosis and or arthritis, aggravated by a "looking up position" for long periods.

rutan74 07-01-19 02:34 PM

I have experienced this too. What I have found out over the years that in my case it appears to be hydration related.

It does not happen on rides less than 25 miles but when I go over that if my neck starts to hurt, I know I am starting to bonk. I've done 3 centuries being a clyde and over 60 and none of them caused my neck to hurt. I've had a couple of professional bike fits so I don't think it is that either.

It seems for me that when it gets hotter out and I don't drink enough this is what happens. As I said, when this begins, I know my day is coming to an end and I'll just have to limp home. Seems after I get home, I then have to drink a lot so I am thinking it is related to hydration.

john

tim24k 07-21-19 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by paintguy (Post 20997369)

This is why I’m riding mostly recumbent bikes theses days. If it’s over a 20 mile ride for me a recumbent bike is a must. Check them out you won’t regret it.

shelbyfv 07-21-19 02:37 PM

Do you smell burning feathers?