Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Manual labor every other day rides (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1169127)

Hondo Gravel 03-26-19 08:46 AM

Manual labor every other day rides

After a a few months of no riding or anything due to foot repair at the butcher shop things got away. I have a lot of manual labor type jobs from construction to just old fashion rock busting. In other words I get too tired to ride and I hate riding tired I get nothing out of it. I discovered riding every other day has been great so until I catch up with everything that is what I will do. Then I will get that daily bike fix in on consecutive days. Hopefully I will ride Katy Trail again in June that is the goal.

BobbyG 03-26-19 10:22 AM

You can do this.

rumrunn6 03-26-19 12:45 PM

sounds rough. rule #1 , do no harm. best wishes!

Wileyrat 03-26-19 08:15 PM

Take care not to re injure that foot. Everything else will work itself out.

pbass 03-26-19 11:04 PM

The value of recovery time is not to be underestimated. Especially as we get a little older. I used to never allow enough time to heal from injuries, and gave myself some chronic issues as a result.

Hondo Gravel 03-28-19 10:15 AM

Oil based Kilz on OSB plywood today :mad: nasty. Got in a Monday and Wednesday ride in so today I want to get this nasty job over with. Friday I plan on a good 40 mile ride knowing this nasty phase of the job is over :twitchy: Then this weekend putting in itching insulation of what fun. Purchased of pre made shed they brought out with an 18 wheelers and I’m finishing it out with electrical etc etc plan on installing a window ac unit so I won’t bake in the summer.

jppe 03-30-19 05:54 PM

I repainted the inside of my house two years ago after I retired........15 rooms. I can relate to the smell. I literally got tennis elbow from using the roller so much. But it looks great!!!!

FiftySix 04-09-19 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 20855647)
After a a few months of no riding or anything due to foot repair at the butcher shop things got away. I have a lot of manual labor type jobs from construction to just old fashion rock busting. In other words I get too tired to ride and I hate riding tired I get nothing out of it. I discovered riding every other day has been great so until I catch up with everything that is what I will do. Then I will get that daily bike fix in on consecutive days. Hopefully I will ride Katy Trail again in June that is the goal.

A couple weeks late, but I go home tired from work often. Tonight, still at the local office after a long day in the field, but the weather sure is nice. :D

If my repair job for the day is in office buildings with AC and light duty, I have plenty of energy when I get home. :)

If my repair job is in an uncooled or unheated warehouse with me laying on the filthy ground half a day and a whole lot of squatting, I'm bushed by the time I get home. :o

Or, if I have to drive far for a repair job. For example, the few times I have driven to the Torres Unit on the west side of your home town, do a repair, and then drive right back home. That's about 8 hours seat time and however many hours inside the walls doing my job. :twitchy:

By the way, if I had to bust rocks all day, I'd need my entire upper body replaced that evening. :D

Hondo Gravel 04-09-19 11:00 PM

Torres Unit? :thumb: you know my hometown. Busting rocks ain’t no exaggerating once you start busting rocks around Hondo you never finish. Cool you chimed in :D

rseeker 04-09-19 11:54 PM

I hate riding tired I get nothing out of it.

Same. Much more fun to feel fresh and fully charged up.

I discovered riding every other day has been great

That's my plan. Although I'm sneaking in an extra ride day or two a week to test the theory that having ridden moderately the day before makes today's ride better, with the "warmed-up-ness" making up for any tiredness.

Good luck getting ready for the Katy.

shrtdstncrdr 04-10-19 05:55 AM

You're lucky that you have at least some sort of choice. It's either the trainer or nothing for me. We're due for something like a foot of stupid, er, snow here in the upper Midwest. Two years the kids graduate and then I'm leaving this godforsaken place.

Sure, it's nice in the summer, but once those two weeks are over...

FiftySix 04-10-19 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by MNHarv (Post 20877943)
You're lucky that you have at least some sort of choice. It's either the trainer or nothing for me. We're due for something like a foot of stupid, er, snow here in the upper Midwest. Two years the kids graduate and then I'm leaving this godforsaken place.

Lol. :lol:

eja_ bottecchia 04-10-19 06:48 AM

I am the opposite of most of you guys. My job requires no physical exertion, except maybe carrying files to court and standing up to object whenever opposite counsel asks an objectionable question. Other than that my job is extremely sedentary.

I need the pain, and joy, from the physical exertion of riding my bike. :giver:

FiftySix 04-10-19 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 20877781)
Torres Unit? :thumb: you know my hometown.

It's seems all I get to see around Hondo is the Torres Unit, HEB, Whataburger, and the God's Country sign. :D

Biker395 04-10-19 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 20878000)
I am the opposite of most of you guys. My job requires no physical exertion, except maybe carrying files to court and standing up to object whenever opposite counsel asks an objectionable question. Other than that my job is extremely sedentary.

I need the pain, and joy, from the physical exertion of riding my bike. :giver:

That's me too.

I have a good friend who cycles A LOT and also does hard manual labor (he is a contractor). He's also well into our age group. At some point, he started feeling exhausted, went to a doc, and the doc told him the obvious (to me)... he was over training.

He's since cut back a bit and is stronger than ever.

Hondo Gravel 04-10-19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 20878072)
It's seems all I get to see around Hondo is the Torres Unit, HEB, Whataburger, and the God's Country sign. :D

Yup, a Walmart a Whataburger and a HEB is all you need to survive.

Hondo Gravel 04-10-19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MNHarv (Post 20877943)

It will be 98 here today and y’all are gettin a foot a snow :eek: It is Al Gores fault for global cooling and inventing the Internet :lol:

shrtdstncrdr 04-10-19 07:01 PM

I'm guessing his beachfront property doesn't have little freshwater icebergs floating nearby.

I just want to thank Al for the inter.. wait a minute, was that the sound of the kids' snowman blowing over in the wind? I left the truck out there!

Hondo Gravel 04-15-19 09:47 PM

Tipper Gore put these Offensive Lyrics warnings on all my CDs :lol: she just made the band’s record sales go up. I’m glad Tipper had my best interest at heart :roflmao: