Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's your resting heart rate? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1188018)

robnol 11-14-19 11:12 PM

What's your resting heart rate?

got up this morning and decided to check my resting heart rate it was 41 bpm ...whats the rest of the bf worlds resting heart rate.....just curious...I read some cyclist from spain had resting heart rate of 28....wow at what point is low to low to be healthy

General Geoff 11-14-19 11:23 PM

Lowest I've measured was 54 but I rarely check it

robnol 11-14-19 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by General Geoff (Post 21209662)
Lowest I've measured was 54 but I rarely check it

ive been checking mine everyday for a week now. its usually between 39 the lowest ive seen to 45 the highest ive seen ….

bargo68 11-14-19 11:41 PM

Low 40's when I wake up and between low 50's to mid 60's when I'm up and around moving during the day.

Jim from Boston 11-15-19 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by robnol (Post 21209656)
got up this morning and decided to check my resting heart rate it was 41 bpm ...whats the rest of the bf worlds resting heart rate.....just curious...I read some cyclist from spain had resting heart rate of 28....wow at what point is low to low to be healthy

That was Miguel Indurain...hard to believe.

My best had been 48 bpm, occasionally 44,@ 60+ yo when cycle commuting and training on a schedule of mileage. Most recently during a down period has been about 52.

My usual check is early AM within a few minutes of awakening, sitting in an easy chair, often after a few sips of coffee.

02Giant 11-15-19 04:44 AM

When regularly riding, it is low 40's.

tgenec86 11-15-19 06:01 AM

On average about 45 for me. Depends on training load, ride schedules, rest, etc... Sometimes a few beats lower, sometimes in the low 50's after a few really hard days.

burnthesheep 11-15-19 08:59 AM

40's. Depends on when. I don't really ever notice unless I'm sitting on the trainer waiting for things to pair up and get caught up looking at news articles for a few minutes and then decide to relax a bit to see what it is. I've never checked first thing in the morning.

I hate I started riding later in life, as I feel like I won out at least a tiny bit in the genetic lottery. Based on time input I give versus power outputs I have seen.

bpcyclist 11-15-19 09:00 AM

Mid 40s first thing after getting up, but I take two meds that elevate it during the day.

DrIsotope 11-15-19 09:07 AM

Within the acceptable range for someone of my age, height, weight, and level of fitness.

shelbyfv 11-15-19 09:32 AM

Yes duh. A few variables involved:foo:

Rides4Beer 11-15-19 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 21209973)
I hate I started riding later in life, as I feel like I won out at least a tiny bit in the genetic lottery. Based on time input I give versus power outputs I have seen.

I've wondered the same thing. Between running and now recently cycling, I've done pretty well as a Masters athlete. Makes me wonder what I could have done when I was younger, but I was busy being fat and lazy. :lol:

But hey, at least we both started, right? :beer:

Oh, hr, usually mid 40s, often in the 30s first thing in the morning. Pretty common for endurance athletes.

burnthesheep 11-15-19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 21210041)
I've wondered the same thing. Between running and now recently cycling, I've done pretty well as a Masters athlete. Makes me wonder what I could have done when I was younger, but I was busy being fat and lazy. :lol:

Oh, hr, usually mid 40s, often in the 30s first thing in the morning. Pretty common for endurance athletes.

I have zero delusions of grandeur about "I coulda been xyz". Lol. But, if on 4.5 to 5 hrs of training time on average per week per year, I can rip the legs off some guys on our local hammer ride that ride at least double that. Or guys that have ridden for many more years.

wipekitty 11-15-19 11:33 AM

Usually low to mid 40s. If I'm putting in some serious miles (200+ a week), it will drop into the high 30s. I haven't had time for that in a bit.

Trsnrtr 11-15-19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21210256)
Usually low to mid 40s. If I'm putting in some serious miles (200+ a week), it will drop into the high 30s. I haven't had time for that in a bit.

Same, and I’m 68.

Chinghis 11-15-19 04:09 PM

I remember hearing once (before all the bad stuff) that Lance Armstrong had a resting HR or 32. I'm happy if mine is double that. I've never, maybe once, hit the 50s or something, I think. But I'm not all that serious, mainly just commuting and the occasional gravel ride.

robnol 11-15-19 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer (Post 21210041)

runner and a rider....nice so am I....running is cardio king in my opinion

mcours2006 11-15-19 05:20 PM

When I check my BP at the supermarket it's usually around 60. But true resting HR, like first thing in the morning is probably low 50's.

caloso 11-15-19 05:30 PM

Wore my HRM to bed a few weeks ago: high 77 (couple of spikes), low 40, avg. 48.

_ForceD_ 11-15-19 05:31 PM

Sometimes when I first open my eyes in the morning...before moving too much...I'll check it. It's been in the hight 30s frequently. But usually in the 40s. Just regular resting is high 40s.

Whenever I've gone in for surgery...when I come out to the recover room...the nurses get all excited because my pulse is so low. They think I'm getting ready to "code." On time they literally were standing there with the paddles. Still groggy from the anesthesia, I mumble to them that I'm a long-distance athlete and they're OK.

Dan

MoAlpha 11-15-19 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 21210843)
Sometimes when I first open my eyes in the morning...before moving too much...I'll check it. It's been in the hight 30s frequently. But usually in the 40s. Just regular resting is high 40s.

Whenever I've gone in for surgery...when I come out to the recover room...the nurses get all excited because my pulse is so low. They think I'm getting ready to "code." On time they literally were standing there with the paddles. Still groggy from the anesthesia, I mumble to them that I'm a long-distance athlete and they're OK.

Dan

If they were really preparing to shock you for sinus bradycardia, my advice would be to get your next bit of work done elsewhere.

canklecat 11-15-19 07:09 PM

My resting HR and BP are all over the place. Depends on the meds I'm taking (Sudafed decongestant tends to cause rapid HR and elevated BP), how I'm feeling, whether I got enough sleep, stress, etc. Anywhere from the 50s to 80s.

Just before a bike ride and for the first 15 minutes my HR shoots up from the 60s to anywhere from 100-140, before I've worked up a sweat. That's stress due to anticipating rush hour traffic, with my eyes on stalks and head on a swivel. After I'm warmed up it settles down to something appropriate for my actual level of exertion. On Thursday afternoon's ride it was 130 bpm just walking outside with my bike. Around 30-40 miles later it varied from 120-140 depending on how hard the group ride was going.

Same when I was in my teens and 20s, which occasionally got the attention of doctors doing checkups before sports competitions. Nothing new. I don't worry about it anymore.

GAtkins 11-15-19 08:34 PM

Mid 50s in the middle of the day. I'm a clyde and 56yoa. Back on the bike in July after a 10 year hiatus.

Glenn

zjrog 11-15-19 08:36 PM

Averaging about 63 presently, I've seen 58 and 56 on waking. I'm 56, I've lost over 130 pounds, and at my highest weight, my resting was was 100...

MikeyMK 11-15-19 09:28 PM

Nfi. The last time I even got it measured was some several years ago, when I went to join a gym.

The guy put me on an exercise bike, set it's resistance, and told me to mash it for 10 mins. Which I duely did.

On his return he measured the mileage, which was where he wanted it. He then took my pulse. My heartbeat was still in double figures.

He told me there was no use in putting me on cardio, and I needed to go straight to resistance. But first, my skinny asre had to go eat. So I went to the pub, and never went back to the gym.