Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   I think I already know but opinions appreciated. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1214480)

Murray Missile 10-03-20 01:06 PM

I think I already know but opinions appreciated.

I think I have finally succumbed to sensory input overload on my 1990 Diamondback Interval. :twitchy: I did a crude photo edit on the Vuelta wheels and blacked out all the stickers. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer LOL but which do you prefer?

Stickers?
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...784fed1943.jpg

No stickers?
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...63b7e2610c.jpg

Comments on the wheels ONLY! No critiquing my photo editing...... It's bad, I know. :lol:

polymorphself 10-03-20 01:09 PM

Would normally say no stickers but they really work here.

52telecaster 10-03-20 01:13 PM

I like it without.

non-fixie 10-03-20 01:17 PM

In this case I'd remove all stickers, replace the cable housing and the bottle cages and go all black, with just the tiniest silver details.

Pcampeau 10-03-20 01:19 PM

I like what you did. I think you made a big improvement!

Bob the Mech 10-03-20 01:33 PM

Without rim transfers. Gives it a more subtle and classy look. Vuelta have gone a little 'over board' there...And I thought Fulcrums were over-adorned :)

branko_76 10-03-20 03:00 PM

I always remove stickers from components, I also remove the Carhartt tags from my work clothes.

noglider 10-03-20 03:04 PM

I agree, @Murray Missile, those decals are awful. Take them off.

friendofpugs 10-03-20 03:13 PM

You've heard of "more cowbell"? In this instance I say more stickers. :P

Seriously, lose the stickers.

xiaoman1 10-03-20 04:15 PM

No.
Ben

randyjawa 10-03-20 04:22 PM

In this case I'd remove all stickers, replace the cable housing and the bottle cages and go all black, with just the tiniest silver details.
That would certainly work for me, assuming you get rid of the red walls on the tires. Or...

Just leave it exactly as is (except for the red walls, they just do not appear to fit). I agree that, even though quite busy, the overall image works for me.

Which way to go? I would leave it as is but I would prefer it without any adornment at all.

cudak888 10-03-20 04:37 PM

No stickers. Plus, using some isopropyl alcohol to remove the lettering on the pump, and some Goof Off to remove the stem and seatpost lettering might help too.

The "DIAMOND BACK" on the downtube is quite loud just on its own. Just my opinion, but this build needs as much help as possible to isolate the accents to just the factory stickers. I'd even go with black or polished aluminum (accenting the RD) water bottle cages.

Now, if I was hungry for a bit more flare after that...I'd head straight for the red bar tape :D

-Kurt

Dean51 10-03-20 05:59 PM

Another vote for no stickers.

Dean

jamesdak 10-03-20 06:14 PM

I'm split on this too. I'm normally all about removing decals from the wheels if I can. That said, in your original setup it sort of works for me. I've done the same thing with one of my bikes. It's so loud and adorned anyway that the decals on the wheels just work with the rest of it. So as others have said, either leave it like it is or start getting rid of pretty much all the labeling.

Classtime 10-03-20 06:22 PM

I'd leave them. But if you removed all the graphics -- frame, pump, saddle, stem -- that would look cool too. What kit do you wear when you ride this bike? That matters😉

Murray Missile 10-03-20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Classtime (Post 21726732)
What kit do you wear when you ride this bike? That matters😉

Kit? :lol: I gave that up a couple decades ago, this body in Lycra is not something anyone should have to see. If you saw me riding down the road today you'd say to yourself, "Look at that poor old man on that stolen bike, he must have had one too many DUI's."

BFisher 10-03-20 07:58 PM

I voted leave 'em. The bike looks good loud, and one of the reasons for me is that the frame is so large. The wheels, being black, look smaller without the labels. The Diamond Back graphics stand out in a similar way to the Vuelta.

Be loud and be proud!

royphotog 10-03-20 08:09 PM

I would say no stickers on the wheels, and the red water bottle cages should be ether black like the bike or I think silver would look good. Now, they are too bright red. Everything else looks good.

unterhausen 10-03-20 08:37 PM

I voted no stickers, but it's not my time that would be wasted taking them off. I would leave them on my bike.

Lascauxcaveman 10-03-20 09:17 PM

Those stickers are absolutely reVueltaing. Removing them would improve the appearance of even a modern plastic bike.

Peel the stickers off that frame pump, while you're at it.

Cyclist0108 10-03-20 09:20 PM

Get rid of the current stickers. Then, buy some Enve stickers and slap those suckers on.

Mad Honk 10-03-20 11:15 PM

We used to joke about the billboard jerseys some guys wore. And then we were paid for the billboards on our bikes. The money was the only reason for it. I sponsor a race car and the space I have on the viewer's side of the car is a thirty minute commercial every time it goes on the track. To me it is advertising money for the brand on the side of the bike. Cyclist unwittingly do this easy advertising for manufacture's or distributors by riding with the decals and logos plastered all over the bike. The smart rider gets paid for the items on the side of the bike. The professional riders are on advertising bikes because they get paid to ride them. The rider's don't get a choice in the matter, but they do get paid.
We also call out the stickers on the bikes/cars as "Kentucky go fasters!" only because Kentucky is the local downcast state from Indiana. If a person wants to advertise for a particular product they should be allowed to do so, however it doesn't make the bike any better for the ride or ride quality. If done for aesthetics, that is fine as well but only for the person who owns it. Smiles, MH

Prowler 10-04-20 05:51 AM

Yup, remove all the stickers, decals, logos, labels, etc. A Diamond Black Back Lightning.😊

SJX426 10-04-20 06:24 AM

@Murray Missile - I tend to agree with @Mad Honk. Although I like Colnago's, including the late 80's and early 90's paint scheme's, I prefer other parts to be less "in your face."

Taking in your comment about riding with a kit, strip the stickers to minimize attention. The bike does look very attractive.

I recently asked for opinion about a Columbus sticker on the fork of my Pinarello. I didn't like the looks but it is "original once" kept haunting me. The forum members said strip it.
https://live.staticflickr.com/1873/3...a7d8dfaa_h.jpgP1010551 by superissimo_83, on Flickr

I did. it came off easily. There was some damage to it and I think it just added to the condition of the bike. Taking it off cleaned it up a bit.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2e0cb5a6_h.jpgP1030663 by superissimo_83, on Flickr

J.Higgins 10-04-20 06:40 AM

Too busy. Loose the decals and a redwalls.