Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fixed Gear Freestyle (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=320)
-   -   I can't skid (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=858197)

UltimateCheese 11-17-12 07:27 PM

I can't skid

I changed my rear wheel to the fixed gear cog and tried to skid stop but it won't work. All i do is slow down. Is it just me not being strong enough to completely stop the wheel? Or is it my chain tension. Please help

i n f a m o u s 11-18-12 03:35 PM

How are you executing the skid stop? Also whats your gear configuration?

TiBikeGuy 11-18-12 05:40 PM

Technique ; weight off the rear wheel ie. lean forward on handlebars, head and shoulders will be over the front wheel, crotch on the stem, lock up your legs, jam your thighs against the handlebars...

If you don't get your butt off the saddle, too much weight will be on the rear wheel and this will wear out the tire at a faster rate.

Wilk 11-19-12 10:41 AM

I went on a friends fixie for the first time a few weeks ago and had never rid one before. Took about 3 attempts until I could skid. It's all technique based. Everyone has their own methods but I found that when my drive foot was almost as far down as the crank arm can go to the floor I would just push against it with force and this would skid. That's a pretty standard method as you can see in the video above. Just keep trying, although it does get tiring after a while.

i n f a m o u s 11-19-12 10:46 PM

You want to make sure you're feet are parallel to the ground (3 o' clock and 9 o' clock position) when you perform the stop. Using your strong foot to push in the opposite direction and your other foot to lift forward.

rhern213 01-15-13 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by i n f a m o u s (Post 14966686)
You want to make sure you're feet are parallel to the ground (3 o' clock and 9 o'clock position) when you perform the stop. Using your strong foot to push in the opposite direction and your other foot to lift forward.

I don't agree with that completely. I personally find it much easier to skid when my extended leg locks the crank at about a 5 o'clock position. It also helps a lot if you have pedal straps of some kind in order to pull up on the non-extended leg.

fietsbob 01-16-13 03:45 PM

Put some Brakes on It ! :bang:

Stealthammer 01-17-13 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 15164504)
Put some Brakes on It ! :bang:

Although I agree wholeheartedly with you, the OP obviously doesn't mind flat-spotted tires, thinks skidding is "cool", and hasn't reached puberty yet, so your post (and mine) fall on deaf ears..... :lol:

Ride Safe.

shepherdsflock 01-18-13 01:20 PM

Rather than doing it the hard way (using the pedals to stop the wheel) why not just jam your foot against the tire behind the seatstay? That's what we did when we were kids and had crappy old bikes without brakes.

Robbstache 03-26-13 05:22 PM

They putting your weight forward (post up to the handle bars) and lock your back foot so the back and front pedal are almost horizontal. At the same time pull your front foot up into your strap. (Assuming you have straps)

road2you 03-27-13 02:20 AM

it helpts to have a good gear ratio, i hear its easier with some ratios as suppose to others,
i cant skid , and i feel its because of my gear ratio ....but i have brakes i use on both front and back.

Philasteve 04-02-13 01:05 PM

I don't see the point of making a thread, practice is the only thing that helps. Get off the computer go outside and keep trying it will happen.

escarpment 04-13-13 06:47 PM

you can always rub your tires with 50 grit sandpaper to mimic the effect

Wspsux 08-20-13 01:55 PM

Sounds like, and most of us have been there, you're being a ***** and not fully committing to the skid. Get your weight forward! Theres going to be that moment when you feel as though the pedal is going to buck you over the bars, hold on and commit and you'll skid. Straps are a nice touch too, get that front foot pulling!

Be safe!

Leukybear 08-20-13 02:42 PM

Balls to stem.

Nothing more, nothing less assuming you already have a proper pedal set up.

TommyBing 08-24-13 07:23 PM

The computer will teach you how to skid. But you need to learn how to code it.

FOR N=1 TO 10
LET N="TEACH ME TO SKID, COMPUTER"
PRINT N
NEXT N

Something like that. Just keep asking and running the routine.

rms13 08-27-13 12:32 AM

how many times can the same thread be resurrected from the dead?

SpeshulEd 08-27-13 08:42 AM

http://avatarmaker.net/free-avatars/...x100_76917.gif

drewyork 02-17-16 09:38 PM

As someone who skid stops did NOT come naturally to, here's my advice. First off, people here have mentioned gear ratio which I agree with. I was on 46-16 which is more difficult. I now am riding 48-17 and it's way easier. Second of all, the tires. I have one bike with Gatorskins and one with Thickslicks, and I'd most definitely recommend the Thickslicks. Also, pedal straps are a must unless you're a pro. Last but not least, the biggest hurdle I found was knowing when to push back on the pedals. I always thought I was going to snap the chain and that the way to do skids was be delicate (because the riders is as doing them did them so effortlessly). I'm not saying try and kill your bike, but pushing back hard when the crank is going then leaning forward to take weight off the back wheel is the way to go. Also, if you're practicing, doing these in the rain or in a light snow (if you're in a cold climate) is a good way to get comfortable. Good luck, dude!

Leukybear 02-19-16 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by drewyork (Post 18545247)
Also, pedal straps are a must unless you're a pro.

Even pros use some sort of foot retention let it be clips and straps on clipless pedals.

A pedal scraping against the front or back of your lower leg is no fun at all.

Nesh 04-10-16 10:55 PM

I tried everything but I just get sent forward

I tried doing a skid a couple of times but every time I just get sent forward so I always have to bail, and I lean forward and lock my legs, guys please help me.

TenSpeedV2 04-13-16 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nesh (Post 18680962)
I tried doing a skid a couple of times but every time I just get sent forward so I always have to bail, and I lean forward and lock my legs, guys please help me.

Install front brake. Use front brake. Save tires. Profit.

boyleesquire 07-03-16 08:49 PM

It takes practice

I ride 48/15 fixed. I'm 32, weigh 175 lbs, and am 6' tall. I live in Bellingham (plenty if steep hills). If you don't want to tear up your knees don't lock them -- use your muscles. Use your leading foot (in a strap) to keep you on the bike and push down with you back foot (in a strap) with everything you have. I stand forward out over the handlebars with an underhand grip which I pull back with. To stop faster throw your weight back once you get the skid and hold the skid if you can. I practiced in gravel a lot at first and some times still do when I notice I start to favor a foot.
I do ride with a front brake for those 'oh ****' moments -- like when your chain brakes. Trying to skid at full speed is when you'll mostlikely brake your chain as I have mine three times last year. I'm alive now because my chain got wrapped around the hub and lockup between the hub and the frame before I had put a brake on. If you're going to ride in traffic I would be concerned for your life if you didn't have a brake -- who knows what some idiot will thunk of next.
It can be done. Keep riding.

Druzis 08-30-16 08:46 AM

Probably the best video for learning how to skid :

Rollfast 08-31-16 10:54 PM

I'm fifty, and I can't do a lot of things, but I don't want to do most of them anymore...it works out.