Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Meet “Barney”, The 1898 Glenwood (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1193423)

OldsCOOL 02-06-20 03:57 PM

Meet “Barney”, The 1898 Glenwood

After 6 weeks of intense reconditioning, the barn find Glenwood went out for short shakedown cruise downtown to showoff a little bit. Overall, this has been a tremendous learning experience that has stretched my abilities. How the bike survived 122 years and ended up in my shop is mostly due in part to a very good friend and bike scout fanatic and the rest is just plain miraculous. The bike is wearing new spokes, tubular cyclocross tires and new handcrafted wood grips coming from Germany. I have had a significant push forward by the good members here and The Cabe. Here it is, a preview with better pics to follow. Thank you for reading, offering info and following along.

Here is Barney, the amazingly intact barn find:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2cb6d84e3.jpeg

squirtdad 02-06-20 04:02 PM

wow, super nice. can't wait for an extended ride report and glamour shots with flowers in the spring

I think it is interesting also in the timeless look and lifetime of the steel, lugged, diamond frame design

BFisher 02-06-20 04:05 PM

I've been following along, and I can't believe the condition of this thing. Amazing! You must be thrilled.

How's it ride?

merziac 02-06-20 04:20 PM

I want to know when Rudi is gonna fix the saddle? ;)

Nice find, good job.

madpogue 02-06-20 04:27 PM

Nice reveal! I followed your other thread as well. Just, wow. This is about as C&V as they come.

Waitaminit - at first I cringed at "Barney", thinking "Barnard" would be more fitting for such a stately black ride. But you were thinking of its contemporaneous human namesake, right? I see what you did there....

Wildwood 02-06-20 04:34 PM

Glorius! Elegant! Amazing! So unique to be timeless!

Pick tires for the ride. Assuming 700c? (edit: maybe not?)
What's the original wheel size?

USAZorro 02-06-20 04:44 PM

Lovely. Bonus to learn that it isn't a tacky shade of purple. :D

OldsCOOL 02-06-20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21317137)
Glorius! Elegant! Amazing! So unique to be timeless!

Pick tires for the ride. Assuming 700c? (edit: maybe not?)
What's the original wheel size?

The tire size is our standard 28” that have carried through to modern use. I was excited to find one of my sewups stretched over. The wooden rims came with 1.5” knobbies and it now wears Challenge Limus Pro 33mm.

OldsCOOL 02-06-20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 21317148)
Lovely. Bonus to learn that it isn't a tacky shade of purple. :D

And I didn’t need a Campy NR pat. 76 derailleur. :D

crank_addict 02-06-20 05:33 PM

Barney is a 'scorcher'

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...55a10c20d5.jpg
Henry Ford 1893

OldsCOOL 02-06-20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by BFisher (Post 21317085)
I've been following along, and I can't believe the condition of this thing. Amazing! You must be thrilled.

How's it ride?

The ride is very smooth with the 33mm tubulars. Riding it is a whole ‘nuther deal. The chainring is a bit steep. It is a fast bike, very light and nimble but it is not quick like we are used to with multi gears. The coaster brake has a fresh film of grease on it so at the first ride it was needing a walk down that first hill. It’s a fun bike to ride but not a comfort bike.

BFisher 02-06-20 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 21317262)
The ride is very smooth with the 33mm tubulars. Riding it is a whole ‘nuther deal. The chainring is a bit steep. It is a fast bike, very light and nimble but it is not quick like we are used to with multi gears. The coaster brake has a fresh film of grease on it so at the first ride it was needing a walk down that first hill. It’s a fun bike to ride but not a comfort bike.

Have you weighed it?

OldsCOOL 02-06-20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by BFisher (Post 21317278)
Have you weighed it?

Using the digital bath scales it weighs in at 25.5lbs.

OldsCOOL 02-06-20 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by crank_addict (Post 21317201)
Barney is a 'scorcher'

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...55a10c20d5.jpg
Henry Ford 1893

Indeed! :lol:

Thanx for posting that pic. Bicycle history is rich in heritage and intrigue.

jackbombay 02-06-20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 21317262)
The chainring is a bit steep.

It looks like it!

So good to see it so close to done! Seat will be along soon I presume?

davester 02-06-20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by jackbombay (Post 21317398)
It looks like it!

So good to see it so close to done! Seat will be along soon I presume?

Seat looks perfect to me!

I'm a bit concerned regarding the bent over valves. Are those tires already glued on?

francophile 02-06-20 08:46 PM

Hell of a transform!

What's up with the spokes on the front wheel? Specifically the ones towards 8 and 4 o'clock respectively, are they just old, or can you not tighten down spokes fully on wood rims?

Never built a pair of wood rims, so genuinely don't know.

stardognine 02-06-20 11:52 PM

Nice bike, & nice work, restoring it. 👌 I lost track of the other thread a bit, but that’s from having a run of bad luck, with flats, & cold weather. 🙄 I’m back up to speed again now. 🙂

BFisher 02-07-20 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 21317345)
Using the digital bath scales it weighs in at 25.5lbs.

Interesting. Considering the one piece crank and the coaster brake, that seems rather light. I'd love to test ride something like that.

OldsCOOL 02-07-20 07:49 AM

Seat: Has been glued in certain places as opposed to stitching. The 122yr old leather objected to that. It is installed and I’m in the process of adjusting. :D

Wheels and spokes: I implemented a x2 using 14ga spokes from Wheel Builders supply, great people there. Nipples were a bugger. The wood rims need 19mm (3/4”) which are not easy to find. I settled on 16mm, measured accordingly and began the relace. Spokes took a slight angle to them as they were torqued. The angle of holes and the thickness of the wood was a challenge. The 16mm spokes are trued from the topside, tire off. It is what it is. This is a parade bike, very occasional rider.

Yes, the back valve stem is off center. I’m cool with that. Here is a pic of how I finished the schrader to presta fit:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ad69a7268.jpeg

Sandstrom 02-07-20 08:34 AM

Man I can't get enough of those wooden rims, you did a great job of bringing the beauty of that wood back to life

pastorbobnlnh 02-07-20 08:53 AM

The fact that the original wooden rims are still serviceable and ridable--- is a miracle in and of itself. They are beautiful wheels! :thumb:

OldsCOOL 02-07-20 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 21317896)
The fact that the original wooden rims are still serviceable and ridable--- is a miracle in and of itself. They are beautiful wheels! :thumb:

They are, thank you brother.

cycleheimer 02-07-20 04:43 PM

It looks like it found the right home! Looks great! Have you thought about sending out some of the parts for nickel plating?

OldsCOOL 02-07-20 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by cycleheimer (Post 21318635)
It looks like it found the right home! Looks great! Have you thought about sending out some of the parts for nickel plating?

Interesting question! I was compelled to something between preservation and restoration. I decided to keep it as is mostly, the wheels getting the full restore. It was just too nicely preserved by storage the past 100 years. If it had been a rusty mess then it would have had a full resto, chrome and paint.