Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   My first wipeout (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1224321)

ellburrito 02-22-21 09:26 PM

My first wipeout

Had my first big wipeout last week going 30 around a slippery curve. No broken bones, and the road rash has nearly healed, but my hip feels off. Walking or otherwise using the muscle is fine and no road rash there, but it burns to the touch. Anyone experienced something similar?

- A sad side sleeper

79pmooney 02-22-21 09:46 PM

Yes. You may well have damaged the bursa, basically a sack of lubricating fluid for you hip joint. (I've never taken a biology course so don't quote me here. I have however hit mine enough times that I've gotten to know them rather well.)

A trick if you sleep on your side - cut a 8" diameter 1" foam sheet. Cut a 2" diameter hole in the center. Place it under your hip, hole at the joint. Here in Oregon, Fred Meyer has those sheets fur a couple of bucks.

Greatestalltime 02-23-21 04:21 AM

I recently had my first wipe out after 10 years (if you don’t count car hits that I’d argue caused those crashes). I found out that Ice looks nearly identical to salted/brined dry pavement through Oakley Prizm Road lenses.

dmanthree 02-23-21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime (Post 21937181)
I recently had my first wipe out after 10 years (if you don’t count car hits that I’d argue caused those crashes). I found out that Ice looks nearly identical to salted/brined dry pavement through Oakley Prizm Road lenses.

Sort on that vein, I won't wear polarized lenses because they tended to hide the real nature of the surface. Those slick oil spots would disappear. Hated that.

Koyote 02-23-21 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ellburrito (Post 21936950)
Had my first big wipeout last week going 30 around a slippery curve. No broken bones, and the road rash has nearly healed, but my hip feels off. Walking or otherwise using the muscle is fine and no road rash there, but it burns to the touch. Anyone experienced something similar?

- A sad side sleeper

If you went down at 30 mph and you didn't need the ER, you were lucky. But if that hip doesn't start feeling better, you need to see a doctor. Strangers on the internet are not a good source of medical advice.

Originally Posted by dmanthree (Post 21938440)
Sort on that vein, I won't wear polarized lenses because they tended to hide the real nature of the surface. Those slick oil spots would disappear. Hated that.

Those Oakley Road Prizm lenses suck. I've got a pair somewhere but don't use them. They dull the contrast, so that it is actually harder to read a road surface.

79pmooney 02-23-21 08:03 PM

I'm wearing polarized lenses now. They have their good and bad. The trick is to be aware. Now when I raced sailboats on San Francisco Bay I learned very fast they simply did not work. Reading the water surface was critical to reading the tide and current underneath. With polarized glasses, I could tell you the species of fish and their weights but the water surface? There was a surface? Could a fooled me.

lanpa8 02-24-21 03:07 AM

Had similar fall and got all bruised up luckily no broken bones just blood vessel damage which healed on its own after 2-3 weeks but right thigh was all black and purple. Doctor just gave me some ointment cream for 2 weeks. I highly recommend getting xray to check for blood vessel damage or broken bones. I didnt see doctor until 2 weeks after accident but should of gone earlier so that I would heal faster and not worry so much

thehammerdog 02-25-21 05:31 AM

- A sad side sleeper

Slick, i still carry the wounds of my multiple mtb crashes going back to 80's...full rigid pre suspension flying down fire roads hitting whoodeedoos and hitting the ground or trees.
It happens.....be safe.

OldTryGuy 02-25-21 06:05 AM

Had my first big wipeout last week going 30 around a slippery curve No broken bones, and the road rash has nearly healed, but my hip feels off. Walking or otherwise using the muscle is fine and no road rash there, but it burns to the touch. Anyone experienced something similar?

- A sad side sleeper

Was that 30mph or 30kph and WHAT HEAVY DUTY PADDING were you wearing that the road rash has nearly healed???

HOW'S the BIKE??? Glad you are doing good.

noodle soup 02-25-21 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21938727)

Those Oakley Road Prizm lenses suck. I've got a pair somewhere but don't use them. They dull the contrast, so that it is actually harder to read a road surface.

Incorrect, but believe whatever you want.

dmanthree 02-25-21 06:05 PM

If you went down at 30 mph and you didn't need the ER, you were lucky. But if that hip doesn't start feeling better, you need to see a doctor. Strangers on the internet are not a good source of medical advice.

I have Oakleys, but not sure if they're the prizm. They are sharp, though (prescription lenses).

Kabuki12 02-26-21 03:32 AM

30 miles an hour on a slippery road and that’s all you got? Lucky! I went over the handlebars at 12 mph and spent a day in the hospital. Broke my face in five places , orbital bone and cheek bones. Also my left hand metacarpal broke. I was wearing a helmet or it may have been much worse. I hope you feel better soon.

ellburrito 02-27-21 04:33 PM

Okay... but strangers on the internet sure are a hoot

ellburrito 02-27-21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21940621)
HOW'S the BIKE??? Glad you are doing good.

Strava says 30mph... The bike lost a bit of paint and cracked the plastic cover on a shifter, but aside from that it's in pretty good shape! That was my first question when I got up...

OldTryGuy 02-28-21 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21940621)
...................HOW'S the BIKE??? ...............

Originally Posted by ellburrito (Post 21944434)
Strava says 30mph... The bike lost a bit of paint and cracked the plastic cover on a shifter, but aside from that it's in pretty good shape! That was my first question when I got up...

r.e. bold >>> 100% a Bicyclist :thumb: :thumb:

jfmckenna 03-04-21 01:35 PM

As they say it's not a matter of if but when. Good luck on the recovery.

colnago62 03-04-21 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by cubewheels (Post 21938643)
I'm nowhwere near 30 mph in slippery turns. No more wipeouts for me, unless I'm getting paid for it!

What has slowed me down on descents is old age and carbon bars and stem. When your cockpit gets expensive to replace, it makes you think.

Rides4Beer 03-05-21 08:09 AM

Glad you're ok! And the bike too! :thumb:

Had a similar crash, about 30mph (prob less by the time I hit the pavement, I was able to scrub off a lil speed before the bike slid out), sharp right hand curve, wet road. Tore up my leg pretty bad, took about two months to fully heal, but the bike was ok! Still had about 20 miles left in the race, so I found all of my stuff that went flying into the bushes and finished the race. lol

The gps track still cracks me up, thankfully there wasn't a car coming the other way, because I slid across the road and off the other side.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4c0237e20e.jpg