Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   SeaSucker cracked Tesla Model 3 rear glass (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1155938)

Wcollins00 09-20-18 06:15 AM

SeaSucker cracked Tesla Model 3 rear glass

I used a sea sucker on my new Tesla Model 3 and it cracked the rear glass on the first usage. While I cannot say for certain that the glass was free of defects, the Tesla service rep told me it was his opinion that the bike mount caused it and not to use it again. Bummer because it was a cool idea, but good grief!

joelcool 09-20-18 09:55 AM

Hmmm... I used a Sea Sucker on the rear glass of my Honda S2000 hard top for years. I wonder if Tesla has thinner or weaker glass than common?

Ogsarg 09-20-18 10:08 AM

Was it just the suction that cracked the glass? If so, I'd say the glass was definitely defective. Those big suction cups are just like the ones glass installers use to handle windshields, etc.

Flip Flop Rider 09-20-18 10:11 AM

Tesla skimping on glass

tagaproject6 09-20-18 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wcollins00 (Post 20576123)
I used a sea sucker on my new Tesla Model 3 and it cracked the rear glass on the first usage. While I cannot say for certain that the glass was free of defects, the Tesla service rep told me it was his opinion that the bike mount caused it and not to use it again. Bummer because it was a cool idea, but good grief!

That's the Tesla service rep trying to save his company some money.

veganbikes 09-20-18 11:00 AM

Would never waste money on a Tesla. Way too proprietary and way too customer unfriendly. Sea Sucker seems to have done just fine on a whole bunch of other cars. I could see if you put a really heavy bike on it, that could cause issue but I doubt most folks would do that especially if they bought Sea Sucker.

phughes 09-20-18 11:17 AM

After having worked at a glass shop when I was in school, there is no way I will ever use any rack that touches the back glass in any way. No matter how many racks are out there that utilizes the back glass, it is an extremely poor idea. While you can have great luck with one, it doesn't take much for that luck to disappear and the glass to be broken. Sorry, as much as I would love to fault Tesla for this, it isn't their fault, the back glass isn't designed for that use.

Jon T 09-20-18 11:16 PM

+1 on not using glass for transporting. That's just asking for trouble.
Jon

Sy Reene 09-21-18 07:24 AM

FYI, you're not really supposed to test the installation doing this
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...27ede88c2f.jpg

indyfabz 09-21-18 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jon T (Post 20577823)
Jon

+2. Ain't gonna happen. It's one reason I bought a Forester. Even my large LHT can fit in the back with both wheels on.

DrIsotope 09-21-18 07:28 AM

Not to dismiss the OP's plight, but the roof of my car is glass, and there's no way on this green earth that I would stick a suction cup bike rack to it.

But this does come from a guy who, through the random cruelties of the universe, is on his 4th windshield. I barely trust glass to keep the rain out. I'm not counting on it to keep my bike attached.

Juan Foote 09-21-18 07:32 AM

Is there some reason it won't suction grip to the metal section above the glass? Perhaps even to a degree that the back tire lays on the lower metal below the glass?

It would seem to follow reason that an electric car would shave weight anywhere it can. Glass is heavy. I do wonder how they did so and still met the requirements of the protection and safety standards for the auto industry?

trailangel 09-21-18 07:35 AM

You know, they take weed breaks at the factory, right?

Jon T 09-21-18 07:43 AM

Buy a truck. That's what I did (16 years ago). Problem solved! No need to dismantle any thing either.
Jon

WizardOfBoz 09-21-18 09:38 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with the proper testing process for the rack, I wouldn't do this because that seat angle and riding position sure look uncomfortable. If I'm going to go through that I at least want my doctor to tell me that my prostate's ok.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 20578063)
FYI, you're not really supposed to test the installation doing this
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...27ede88c2f.jpg

joelcool 09-21-18 10:18 AM

^^ It's OK to test like this as long as you use quick release shoes ^^

phughes 09-21-18 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jon T (Post 20578097)
Buy a truck. That's what I did (16 years ago). Problem solved! No need to dismantle any thing either.
Jon

Put a receiver on the car, and use a hitch mount rack. That was my solution. I have had no issues and no worries.

tagaproject6 09-21-18 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by phughes (Post 20576736)
After having worked at a glass shop when I was in school, there is no way I will ever use any rack that touches the back glass in any way. No matter how many racks are out there that utilizes the back glass, it is an extremely poor idea. While you can have great luck with one, it doesn't take much for that luck to disappear and the glass to be broken. Sorry, as much as I would love to fault Tesla for this, it isn't their fault, the back glass isn't designed for that use.

Glass shop? As in automotive glass?

phughes 09-21-18 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by tagaproject6 (Post 20578626)
Glass shop? As in automotive glass?

Yes, among other types of glass.

tagaproject6 09-21-18 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by phughes (Post 20578634)
Yes, among other types of glass.

What was the weirdest or funniest reason for a glass replacement that you've seen?

phughes 09-21-18 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by tagaproject6 (Post 20578754)
What was the weirdest or funniest reason for a glass replacement that you've seen?

I honestly couldn't tell you, that was 35 years ago.

79pmooney 09-21-18 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jon T (Post 20577823)
Jon

Transport via windowpane was known to have worked really well and that was 50 years ago. Though I did hear of some getting in trouble.

Sy Reene 09-21-18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 20578868)
Transport via windowpane was known to have worked really well and that was 50 years ago. Though I did hear of some getting in trouble.

the Wonkevator?
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e1e812b38a.jpg

Jon T 09-21-18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by phughes (Post 20578594)
Put a receiver on the car, and use a hitch mount rack. That was my solution. I have had no issues and no worries.

Yah but with it in the bed of the truck, it won't be the first thing creamed if some a-hole rear-ends me.
Jon

fietsbob 09-21-18 03:50 PM

Invest in a Roof Rack..

maybe your Glazier-supplier can get you a superior specification of Glass,
for the replacement back window?