Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ‘I’ll probably never buy a carbon bike again’ ... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1289473)

3alarmer 03-10-24 11:34 AM

‘I’ll probably never buy a carbon bike again’ ...

Originally Posted by Chloe Hosking
I’ve seen that alloy bikes can be just as competitive in a peloton as carbon ones. The vast majority of people do not need to spend 20 grand on a carbon bike.

I think cycling industry marketing has been very effective at convincing people they need to spend an insane amount of money on carbon frames when the reality is you can purchase an alloy frame that weighs about the same and is less likely to crack.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/i...n-bike-company

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1ee60e25a9.gif

Fredo76 03-10-24 11:54 AM

I'll probably never buy a carbon bike in the first place.

But it's OK; y'all can ride what you please. :)

Pratt 03-10-24 12:02 PM

You should be applauded, in this era of climate change, for reducing your carbon footprint.

bboy314 03-10-24 12:02 PM

:deadhorse2::deadhorse2::deadhorse2:

Chuck M 03-10-24 12:06 PM

I read on these forums that carbon fiber assplodes.

cb400bill 03-10-24 12:06 PM

Tough time to enter into the bike biz.

badger1 03-10-24 12:06 PM

Well, a fledgling bike company has to hang its marketing hat on something, just like Big Bike. Why not asploding crabon and 'no one needs a 20,000 dollar bike'?
'There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.'
-- O. Wilde

CrimsonEclipse 03-10-24 12:43 PM

I'll never buy a carbon fiber bike again, or ever before...

3alarmer 03-10-24 12:54 PM

...as God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. :popcorn

Mojo31 03-10-24 01:12 PM

I’ve bought six carbon bikes in less than four years, but I’ll never buy a $20,000 bike whether carbon or metal.

indyfabz 03-10-24 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 23180422)
...as God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again. :popcorn

TCM is airing that at 4 this afternoon.

jonathanf2 03-10-24 01:37 PM

I have carbon bikes, but I think where carbon really shines are with wheels. I'd rather get a cheap alloy frame and the most lightweight, aero carbon wheels I can afford!

Atlas Shrugged 03-10-24 01:44 PM

Is the weather bad where you are?

DangerousDanR 03-10-24 02:12 PM

Don't worry Chloe, I'll buy enough carbon bikes to make up for it.

MattoftheRocks 03-10-24 02:31 PM

I’m happy for someone going into entrepreneurship and wish her the best.

I can relate to some of her sentiments, but I know way more people who’ve cracked Aluminum frames than those who’ve cracked carbon ones… but I’m not friends with anyone who’s getting actual pro framesets beyond store bought S-Works, Felts, & Looks that probably have a few more layers of cloth here and there than the actual Professionals’ bikes.

FWIW, the most recent Aluminum cracker I know is a very petite woman ~50 years old on her third replacement Terry and she’s shopping steel bikes now.

But, I’m no professional racer, just a General Bike Riding Dork and sold my carbon bikes when I got over the idea of ever trying to race for more than $10 bets between friends. I really don’t get why carbon gets brought up in this sub at all.

Paul Barnard 03-10-24 03:00 PM

Carbon fiber absolutely has a place...as fishing pole material.

3alarmer 03-10-24 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 23180453)
TCM is airing that at 4 this afternoon.

...one of the all time great performances, in a great movie. Another memorable quote:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e3def4fd45.jpg

3alarmer 03-10-24 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged (Post 23180458)
Is the weather bad where you are?

...sunny and mild, highs in the 60's. I jogged for an hour, down at the park, and hit the local farmers market early, to celebrate the time change.

Atlas Shrugged 03-10-24 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks (Post 23180492)
I’m happy for someone going into entrepreneurship and wish her the best.

I can relate to some of her sentiments, but I know way more people who’ve cracked Aluminum frames than those who’ve cracked carbon ones… but I’m not friends with anyone who’s getting actual pro framesets beyond store bought S-Works, Felts, & Looks that probably have a few more layers of cloth here and there than the actual Professionals’ bikes.

FWIW, the most recent Aluminum cracker I know is a very petite woman ~50 years old on her third replacement Terry and she’s shopping steel bikes now.

But, I’m no professional racer, just a General Bike Riding Dork and sold my carbon bikes when I got over the idea of ever trying to race for more than $10 bets between friends. I really don’t get why carbon gets brought up in this sub at all.

My first theory is boredom. I also believe there is a contingent of cycling luddites who have no place other than these forums to postalize their anti tech harangues. These vintage only disciples have no presence in current cycling, even the most vintage friendly of environments such as L'Eroica participants, a vast majority have adopted current technology and participate in these events like a cosplay convention. A chance to dress up, ride some old gear and have a laugh. What I do find a bit redundant is the complete inability to find a new subject to rant about. Carbon fiber has proven its viability and dominance yet still gets brought up like some new fangled invention displayed at the 1930s world fair.

Mojo31 03-10-24 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 23180511)

And hockey sticks.

3alarmer 03-10-24 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged (Post 23180539)
My first theory is boredom. I also believe there is a contingent of cycling luddites who have no place other than these forums to postalize there anti tech harangues. These vintage only disciples have no presence in current cycling, even the most vintage friendly of environments such as L'Eroica participants, a vast majority have adopted current technology and participate in these events like it cosplay convention. A chance to dress up ride some old gear and have a laugh. What I do find a bit redundant is the complete inability to find a new subject to rant about. Carbon fiber has proven its viability and dominance yet still gets brought up like some new fangled invention displayed at the 1930s world fair.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1660b1ff68.gif

indyfabz 03-10-24 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 23180511)

I think at least one of my heart valves is manufactured with some carbon.

indyfabz 03-10-24 04:32 PM

My first theory is boredom. I also believe there is a contingent of cycling luddites who have no place other than these forums to postalize there anti tech harangues. These vintage only disciples have no presence in current cycling, even the most vintage friendly of environments such as L'Eroica participants, a vast majority have adopted current technology and participate in these events like it cosplay convention. A chance to dress up ride some old gear and have a laugh. What I do find a bit redundant is the complete inability to find a new subject to rant about. Carbon fiber has proven its viability and dominance yet still gets brought up like some new fangled invention displayed at the 1930s world fair.

IKR

And I’d rather see another waving or chain lube thread.

3alarmer 03-10-24 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 23180583)
I think at least one of my heart valves is manufactured with some carbon.

...I just checked on the various hernia repair meshes, because I'm about 3 1/2 weeks post surgery. I didn't think to specify "no Carbon Fiber Mesh" at time of surgery, but thankfully they're still going with stuff like polypropylene and polyester mesh. Too bad. I bet I could shave some lap time with a CF mesh. :)

MattoftheRocks 03-10-24 04:41 PM

like a cosplay convention.

and that’s not seen in non-athletes on carbon bikes?

sheesh.

Carbon bikes are the ultimate cosplay, Lance.