Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Fixed gear on a group ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253226)

LarrySellerz 06-09-22 05:01 PM

Fixed gear on a group ride

How do you feel about a fixie joining in a group road ride? Would you want them to have two brakes or would a front brake be sufficient? Think they are worse than a TT bike even if the rider stays off the aerobars? I saw a fixie on a group ride once, he just stayed in the back, it was a "slow" day im not sure if he could have kept up on the fast days. Im getting a track bike soon and was planning on running a front brake to start out, and don't plan on doing hooligan stuff like whipskids. Are drop bars nececary, I know bullhorns can get caught up in the handlebars of dropbars, but flat should be fine right

WhyFi 06-09-22 05:31 PM

Definitely a-okay.

Report back after your ride.

tomato coupe 06-09-22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22536485)
How do you feel about a fixie joining in a group road ride?

I'm 12% less offended than when someone joins a group ride shirtless.

HTupolev 06-09-22 05:46 PM

How do you feel about a fixie joining in a group road ride?

Mostly fine, although if it's a spirited group taking tight corners at speed it could be an issue depending on BB height and crank length, if they're really trying to ride in with the group and aren't exercising good judgement.

Symox 06-09-22 06:08 PM

Once went on a ride with an experienced rider who passed me on a hill climb. He was on a fixie, I was on a triple

i was shamed 😁

datlas 06-09-22 06:10 PM

:popcorn

ThermionicScott 06-09-22 06:30 PM

Sure, I take my fixed-gear on almost all of our club rides. I think most people don't even notice what it is.

It's the kind of club where people generally ride touring bikes with panniers on them, if that tells you anything. :)

popeye 06-09-22 07:07 PM

Not appreciated in a performance group. You will rubber band the riders behind you.

N2deep 06-09-22 08:52 PM

No problem, Our group has several fixies. They typically stick with the middle pack and seldom jump out with the hammer heads.

teejaywhy 06-09-22 09:18 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d56a15e420.jpg

79pmooney 06-09-22 09:43 PM

Put on a thousand fix gear miles before you join the group. Or more. You have to be completely past attempting to coast when something happens. That momentary pause that is so instinctual to anybody brought on bikes that coast will take the rider behind you down in a flash. And I can promise you, you won't be very popular in those circles.

genejockey 06-09-22 09:48 PM

There's conformity, there's non-conformity, and then there's willful anti-conformity. I'm so glad I've reached an age where I don't have to prove something to anyone but me.

LarrySellerz 06-09-22 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22536721)
There's conformity, there's non-conformity, and then there's willful anti-conformity. I'm so glad I've reached an age where I don't have to prove something to anyone but me.

I was training with track bike races as my goal before I met the ride.. I wouldn't do anything that is dangerous. The big street races are track bike only

caloso 06-09-22 10:12 PM

Occasionally you’ll see a fixed gear on the local Saturday ride (River Ride). Usually a trackie riding a track bike with brakes. The ride pancake flat, so gearing isn’t too much of an issue. There are a couple of corners, but again not too bad if you have an experienced FG rider. I wouldn’t have an issue with it if they knew what they’re doing.

genejockey 06-10-22 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22536726)
I was training with track bike races as my goal before I met the ride.. I wouldn't do anything that is dangerous. The big street races are track bike only

I'm not sure you'd know. I mean, you've got another post up asking people if it's okay to ride with your seatpost out well past the minimum insertion, and then arguing with them when they tell you it isn't and then explain why.

koala logs 06-10-22 05:43 AM

he just stayed in the back, it was a "slow" day im not sure if he could have kept up on the fast days.

Fixies can be faster than geared bikes, it all depends on the route and the situation.

BUT, it would be wise to stay in the back. On fast and tight corners, where you need to lean deeply into the turn, you can't go as fast as riders on SS or geared bikes. If you end up in the middle or the front and you need to brake before such turn, you might cause the group to crash.

koala logs 06-10-22 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Symox (Post 22536561)
Once went on a ride with an experienced rider who passed me on a hill climb. He was on a fixie, I was on a triple

i was shamed 😁

Riding a fixie on your optimal cadence on a climb would make it faster than geared bike because it would be lighter. Many hill climb racers use fixie or SS because it can be a good way to get things as light possible without breaking the bank.

And it's also training. Do enough of low cadence work climbing hills on high gear and your low cadence power will improve. Although that isn't the best way to maximize your power and efficiency on the bike.

cb400bill 06-10-22 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ayteex1 (Post 22536778)
i need 10 posts

Don't make any more junk posts like this as they will be deleted.

Reflector Guy 06-10-22 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22536721)
There's conformity, there's non-conformity, and then there's willful anti-conformity.

Or as my parents used to call it, an attention-getting mechanism.

LarrySellerz 06-10-22 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 22536530)
I'm 12% less offended than when someone joins a group ride shirtless.

Some of you never played shirts vs skins in highschool sports and it really shows

Litespud 06-10-22 08:50 AM

How do you feel about a fixie joining in a group road ride? Would you want them to have two brakes or would a front brake be sufficient? Think they are worse than a TT bike even if the rider stays off the aerobars? I saw a fixie on a group ride once, he just stayed in the back, it was a "slow" day im not sure if he could have kept up on the fast days. Im getting a track bike soon and was planning on running a front brake to start out, and don't plan on doing hooligan stuff like whipskids. Are drop bars nececary, I know bullhorns can get caught up in the handlebars of dropbars, but flat should be fine right

the only thing you need to concern yourself with is not to unconsciously mimic the other group riders when they coast - could make the ride way more interesting as you're launched into the air. Flat bars should be fine, but I would have two brakes - I know all the fixie-heads talk about about how they can stop on a dime by back-pressure on the pedals, but in a group ride, two brakes rule for controlled breaking. When you become an FG expert like 79pmooney, and all your groupmates know this, feel free to run one brake. Until then....

Voodoo76 06-10-22 08:55 AM

When I was track racing I would frequently do this & often others didn't even notice. Had a non race bike with a front brake and a bottle cage for road use. Like anything else it depends on the rider and the ride.

Back in the day it was common for roadies to do base miles fixed. Before the freehub/cassette it was easy to convert a road wheel to fixed with a single thread on cog, throw on an old chain and go.

tomato coupe 06-10-22 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22536983)
Some of you never played shirts vs skins in highschool sports and it really shows

Yes, we did. But, we learned as adults that shirtless is not the right choice for some activities. We also learned to recognize humor when we see it.

Hermes 06-10-22 09:30 AM

I am good riding with an experienced !!! fixed gear rider (with a front brake) in a group or riding with him / her. I am fine with experienced riders riding TT bikes in group. To me it is situational and depends on the experience of the group, the rider(s) in question, the speed and terrain. Fixed with a front brake is okay for flat to rolling such as on Canada Road, Woodside and most of Silicon Valley. It would suck riding over Skyline to the coast and back. Most of the time, riders who want to ride fixed on the road, ride with others who are on fixed and it is used for off season / early season style riding on easy terrain.

Spectrum would be interesting fixed and I am sure it has been done.

When I lived in NorCal, there was a guy I often saw on Canada Road riding fixed gear, wool jersey and he was really good.

With respect to handlebar selection, I suggest a drop bar setup with a front brake and maybe a fake hood on the side that does not have the brake. That give you 3 riding positions - tops, drops and hoods.

Only drop bars and aerobars are allowed at the track - Hellyer. If you show up with flat bars /bullhorns or with a brake, you will not be allowed to use your bike and have to rent one. And aerobars are not allowed at beginner sessions.

Hermes 06-10-22 09:57 AM

Larry, when you set up the track bike, For your size, I suggest 1/8 chain, cogs and chain rings. Avoid the 3/16 road setup. And use a rear lock ring. IMO/experience you can get excellent rear wheel braking by back pressure on the pedals. The front brake is necessary for the road to match the braking capability of the other riders and it is easier on the legs.

At the track, I am able to stop rather quickly without skidding via back pressure on the pedals. I try not to do that and use the banking and other techniques to reduce speed. However, sometimes the rider in front just slows (ran out of power) and back pedaling is effective at reducing speed suddenly. Without a lock ring, it is possible to wind the rear cog off the rear wheel - very bad.