Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Early Summer Riding, Everyone (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1203324)

parkbrav 06-01-20 03:51 PM

Early Summer Riding, Everyone

This just in from the Ch. 5 weather girl, we're now in meteorological SUMMER ... what happened to spring???

The same weather girl said that Boston was one inch under the average rain fall this spring. :wtf: That's a joke - it rained like every day

Miele Man 06-04-20 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 21509909)
This just in from the Ch. 5 weather girl, we're now in meteorological SUMMER ... what happened to spring???

The same weather girl said that Boston was one inch under the average rain fall this spring. :wtf: That's a joke - it rained like every day

Spring sprung so hard that it sprung right into summer? LOL

Cheers

parkbrav 06-20-20 07:16 AM

It's now official - Astronomical SUMMER has now begun! (remember, the 2020 Leap Year throws off the calendar some)

"we're waxing down our SURF BOARDS - can't wait for June!" - "Surfing USA" the Beach Boys

StarBiker 06-28-20 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 21543891)
It's now official - Astronomical SUMMER has now begun! (remember, the 2020 Leap Year throws off the calendar some)

"we're waxing down our SURF BOARDS - can't wait for June!" - "Surfing USA" the Beach Boys

There is a dispute between the two. I have never bought much into meteorological seasons.

I want someone to tell that we are in meteorological fall when I am sweating my ass off in September as much as I am in August! September is not a Fall month, it's mostly a summer month!

Even this past June, most of it felt like late spring. Especially the very nice weather we had in the last week of ASTRONOMICAL SPRING!!!

parkbrav 06-29-20 07:34 PM

The "quick reply" is that I believe it's between warm weather states, that start the spring earlier, vs. cold weather states, that start spring later. The warmer states would observe the "Meterological" seasons more, I believe

Also, the astronomical dates mark the equinoxes and solstices - the precise moments when the sun is at a certain angle in the sky each season.

Interesting topic - please reply more if you're also interested

Bikewolf 06-30-20 10:44 AM

Fascinating. But this usually is the time when I start thinking about winter. :)

parkbrav 07-01-20 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bikewolf (Post 21561758)
Fascinating. But this usually is the time when I start thinking about winter. :)

Can I pick your brain? Are there a few pointers you might please consider sharing so that I may also get ready for winter?

At this point in to the quarantine, I am cycling just once a week for groceries. That's it.

Jim from Boston 07-03-20 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 21564155)
Can I pick your brain? Are there a few pointers you might please consider sharing so that I may also get ready for winter?

At this point in to the quarantine, I am cycling just once a week for groceries. That's it.

FWIW, my most important strategy is to keep all my cold weather gear together as I gradually abandon it in the spring, so I can find everthing as I gradually accumulate it in the fall.

In a somewhat consecutive order: face mask, neck gaiter, winter windproof ski gloves, heavy socks, heavy winter jacket, heavyweight cycling tights, goggles, neoprene booties.

Then at some point in December I make the decision to put the studded tires on for the duration, to come off usually in April at the latest.