Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Used E-bikes worth ? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1173599)

badangel 05-21-19 01:28 PM

Used E-bikes worth ?

Hi.What do u think about used e bikes? I worry about batteries after buy it. Should i buy a new one? Do u think that it s risky? Im planning to work for uber eats and etc.

2old 05-21-19 01:34 PM

IMO, since the battery is the most expensive component, it's extremely risky (maybe dangerous depending on the source of the battery) to purchase a used e-bike unless you know something of its history (or know how to test it). Some very knowledgeable individuals on endless sphere suggest assuming the battery is toast when negotiating.

badangel 05-21-19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2old (Post 20940907)
IMO, since the battery is the most expensive component, it's extremely risky (maybe dangerous depending on the source of the battery) to purchase a used e-bike unless you know something of its history (or know how to test it). Some very knowledgeable individuals on endless sphere suggest assuming the battery is toast when negotiating.

Thanks for the answer. I also wonder e bike or scooter? What are the differenties u think?

Doc_Wui 05-21-19 02:29 PM

A dead scooter, the customer goes hungry. A dead ebike, he might not get hot food, but you can still pedal to his address.

CliffordK 05-21-19 02:44 PM

I see previously expensive E-Bikes sold for pennies on the dollar with missing or dead batteries.

Perhaps check:

Battery type:
  • Lead Acid
  • NiCad
  • NiMH
  • Lithium
  • Etc.

Charger and type?

Interface?

Can you purchase replacement batteries and components?

Do you wish to hack something together on your own?

Hardware tool batteries?

I just purchased a little electric chainsaw & lawnmower. 40V, 4 AH modular battery packs. It looks like some E-Bike Batteries have similar voltages, but higher AH rating. Nonetheless, a lot will depend on your actual needs.

Keep in mind.

Serial connections ==> More volts
Parallel connections ==> More Amps or AH.

2old 05-21-19 03:36 PM

BA: In California, Class 1, 2 & 3 ebikes (basically 20 mph PAS, 20 mph throttle, and 28 mph PAS, respectively) are not considered motorized vehicles, require neither license nor insurance and (as noted above) can be ridden without the motor. AFAIK, none of these considerations apply to escooters.

badangel 05-21-19 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20941044)
I see previously expensive E-Bikes sold for pennies on the dollar with missing or dead batteries.

Perhaps check:

Battery type:
  • Lead Acid
  • NiCad
  • NiMH
  • Lithium
  • Etc.

Charger and type?

Interface?

Can you purchase replacement batteries and components?

Do you wish to hack something together on your own?

Hardware tool batteries?

I just purchased a little electric chainsaw & lawnmower. 40V, 4 AH modular battery packs. It looks like some E-Bike Batteries have similar voltages, but higher AH rating. Nonetheless, a lot will depend on your actual needs.

Keep in mind.

Serial connections ==> More volts
Parallel connections ==> More Amps or AH.

Thanks for answer. Today I walked around and visited some e-bike stores. They adviced me these bikes what do u think?

https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/b...verve/p/17470/

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/quick-eplus

https://www.amegoev.com/amego-amego-infinite.html

Actually i m looking for delivery. So I can up to 90 km in a day. I didnt visit any scooter e bike store yet.

EaOutlaw1969 05-22-19 04:44 AM

Hi you should consider the type of foods and drinks you will be delivering and the condition the order will be in when you get to the destination.
I know if I ordered let says a big mac value meal with a large coke and a chocolate shake from Uber Eats and you showed up on a eBike I would be pissed because my order in my opinion would be wrecked. I am pretty sure no fast food drinks would survive a trip on a ebike.

This being said if you found a way to make or buy a shock absorbing basket with separate hot cold sections and could deliver these food items as intended you are going to want a ebike that you can work on at home and not worry about warranties or propitiatory software and or service manuals that may not be available to the general public.

My only experience with ebikes has been with 2 A2B Alva+ bikes I purchased new from my local bike store they cost alot of money yet the warranty was a joke, The shop that sold and serviced these bikes had no clue no service manual and everything that was needed to repair these bikes over time was provided as used parts that came off of donor bikes that had to be shipped in from around the USA and sometimes overseas.

I found out that with A2B and perhaps other manufactures they make a run of each model bike and perhaps some spare parts get made but they may not make every single consumable part you may need either under warranty or even as a customer pay item.

A few examples my wifes A2B hit a bump and the magnetic connector that holds the power cable to the battery jolted loose for a split second then reconnected the battery went into protection mode rendering it useless. There was nothing I could do or the service center could do to get this brand new battery working again. they were going to have to have it sent overseas to be reset since the factory was the only place that had the equipment to do this job. instead the sent us after 3 weeks a used scratched up battery with who knows how many hours and charging cycles on it.
After I refused that battery it took another 3 weeks to get another battery that was supposed to be new but I had no way of knowing for sure since the box was opened when they handed it to me.

Then after all this another hard bump could have caused the problem all over again.

The A2Bs had large hub mounted motors with short spokes, because of the large motor the angle of the spokes were at a unnatural angle which caused the spokes to brake often and the wheel would get out of round very quickly.

You would think a consumable item like spokes would be plentiful for a bike under warranty, no the spokes they they put in my bike were all used off of a donor bike and already weakened from use.

My point is if you can get away with a eBike for deliveries which I doubt you can you will want a ebike that you built with plenty of spare parts available and on board with you while riding.

2old 05-22-19 07:21 AM

You can't go wrong with Trek or Giant. IMO. However 90 km a day means four hours in the saddle and probably needing to recharge your battery somewhere in between (although that range is possible on lower assist levels). You might be a candidate for a scooter even (dare I say) an ICE model.

CliffordK 05-22-19 09:30 AM

I agree, 90km is ambitious.

The Amego lists "The 624 Wh lithium battery provides upto 105 KM per charge on level 1 assistance." I.E. low power. But, perhaps that is what you need.

Some of the batteries are easily removable. I think the Bosch can be easily removed, and you could swap in a spare (which, of course, isn't cheap).

You've got a few choices. > $2000 or $3000, all new tech.

< $1000. Old tech. Perhaps needing some work. Needing new battery. Are the parts available? Modern Lithium battery? How much tinkering do you wish to do?

When you add the battery, prices will go up quickly.

badangel 05-23-19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20942184)
I agree, 90km is ambitious.

The Amego lists "The 624 Wh lithium battery provides upto 105 KM per charge on level 1 assistance." I.E. low power. But, perhaps that is what you need.

Some of the batteries are easily removable. I think the Bosch can be easily removed, and you could swap in a spare (which, of course, isn't cheap).

You've got a few choices. > $2000 or $3000, all new tech.

< $1000. Old tech. Perhaps needing some work. Needing new battery. Are the parts available? Modern Lithium battery? How much tinkering do you wish to do?

When you add the battery, prices will go up quickly.

I will get extra battery %100. Just i wonder why e bikes price so different.. i mean both brands models batteries same. One of describe says its only 50km range ones 140km.. price difference almost 1k-1.5k.

U can check giant and amego. U will see what i tell u.

elizilla 05-23-19 03:09 PM

GenZe makes scooters for food delivery, the factory is in Ann Arbor Michigan. They also make e-bikes which they sell under the Peugeot brand. I had a factory tour and the scooter looked like a very well thought out setup for food delivery. They offer them with warming ovens on the back, and a rack mounted charger so the pizza store can have a row of batteries ready to swap as needed. Probably way more investment than you'd even earn back, driving for Uber Eats, though. The Peugeot e-bikes were basic and not the latest tech, but they looked solid and you'd have backing from a large company - GenZe is part of Mahindra, which is huge. When I was there last year they were putting together a large order of ebikes for Costco. So they are out there.

A search for "genze" brings them right up...

CliffordK 05-23-19 04:18 PM

Depending on your actual needs, there are also a number of electric cargo bikes. Long tail, long nose, or trike based.

They can be very expensive, but could really work well for a small delivery company.

ChesterWallace 05-29-19 01:59 AM

Why you are thinking that used by e-bike is worth?

lz54321 07-17-19 09:31 PM

Try searching on eBay.

bianchibike 07-19-19 12:56 AM

Check weight, some are freaking heavy bikes itself not to mention battery weight...

optimusprime8 07-21-19 03:58 PM

Is there someone who builds custom batteries or refurbishes old batteries for bikes that no longer have factory support?

speedy25 07-23-19 11:42 AM

Typically the only used ebikes available are "used up" ebikes, or cheaper chinese models that would not fit your purpose. Also their batteries arent that great and age has made them worse.

I havent been impressed with Giant or Trek offerings when I have ridden them in the past.

With your delivery idea, think about a class 3 bike. A I or II would give you longer range but a 3 can get you there faster.

One of my customers is using a BH Rebel Cross. The Yamaha drive works great and can still be pedaled when you run out of power.

-SP

Dewey101 07-25-19 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by optimusprime8 (Post 21038052)
Is there someone who builds custom batteries or refurbishes old batteries for bikes that no longer have factory support?

https://ebikemarketplace.com/

mecheic 07-28-19 11:44 PM

Well from my experience so far with electric bicycles, I will tell you it’s very reasonable to invest in them for a lot of reasons. You can’t imagine how awesome it could be when you don’t have to arrive to work sweaty and out of breath. No need to shower or change clothes before work; just grab your removable battery pack and go. That’s what an e-bike could give you.

I don’t have to worry about waiting in traffic or rounding the entire block looking for a parking spot. I simply lock my bike up and be on my way.

Do you want to talk about speed? I will tell you that sometimes an electric bike can beat the speed of public transportation making it a great alternative to your usual commute. And don’t forget, with e-bikes, you are able to save a lot on buying gas while you also protect the climate and the environment.

ronp6 07-31-19 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dewey101 (Post 21045186)

I'll second ebikemarketplave.com. I have an Eflow E3 Nitro I bought used a four years ago assuming the battery was on its way out but at the right price. The battery lasted longer than I expected but it didn't survive my mistakes on last winter's less than perfect storage. EMP just replaced all of the cells upgraded from 10.8A to 15A for a very reasonable price. The bike is better than ever.

veganbikes 08-04-19 08:38 PM

I wouldn't want someone's used e-bike. You lose out on all of the warranties and those are pretty handy or if the bike is a kit bike you are likely to have something that isn't worth much and may or may not be put together properly. Also you likely won't know what condition things are in and how things have held up over the time someone has owned them. You might get lucky with something that is in decent shape and certainly if you go with something that uses Bosch bike you at least have a better chance of getting it fixed or getting parts at most shops.

Me personally I would save up money and buy a quality new bike with warranties intact. Get something that will work for what you are doing and that is comfortable. Yes it may cost money initially but could save you in the long term. Look for something with a Bosch, Brose or Shimano motor ideally as that is a reliable. Also find a good shop that sells and services e-bikes near your area because you may need it at some point. Also understand when you buy a bike and it needs service/warranty it could take time. Have a backup bike or another way to get around just in case. Granted yes with a quality bike you will not likely to need it often but every bike needs service at some point and bikes with heavier use will likely need more of it.