Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Road bike wear items (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178287)

errodr 07-14-19 12:57 PM

Road bike wear items

I bought used bike on eBay and I'm replacing all of the obvious wear items, tubes, tires, chain, cables. The bike is 6 years old and doesn't look like it was taken care of all that well. My question is: in addition to the items mentioned what else should I replace? Stem, headset, seat post, bars, etc?

Thanks!

cthenn 07-14-19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by errodr (Post 21026417)
I bought used bike on eBay and I'm replacing all of the obvious wear items, tubes, tires, chain, cables. The bike is 6 years old and doesn't look like it was taken care of all that well. My question is: in addition to the items mentioned what else should I replace? Stem, headset, seat post, bars, etc?

Thanks!

do you do your own wrenching? If so, and the bike has been left outside, or even just precautionary, you can break the whole bike down, and inspect/clean/relube everything.

errodr 07-14-19 03:31 PM

I do my own wrenching and I definitely plan on stripping the bike down and lubing/cleaning. This is the first used bike I've bought and I wasn't sure if I should replace certain components as a matter of course.

rubiksoval 07-14-19 03:54 PM

Why are you replacing tubes? They don't hold air?

If you're really worried about replacing that many things, then I'd question why you'd buy it in the first place. Doesn't sound like a good purchase.

errodr 07-14-19 04:18 PM

Yeah, it may not have been the best purchase but I'm making the best of it. Replacing tubes because it's only a few bucks and I'm more comfortable riding on new ones.

deacon mark 07-14-19 05:14 PM

Tubes that hold air are as good as new and even better because you know they hold air. I think i have tubes years old and patched. Wear items are cassettes, chains, cable and housing, and bottom brackets. Remember that if is not broken don’t fix it, and replace to ride smoother, better, and safer.

Marcus_Ti 07-14-19 05:19 PM

This sounds like a money pit. If the bike hasn't been maintained--be ready to need to inspect and open/re-grease all bearings.

seau grateau 07-14-19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by errodr (Post 21026417)
Stem, headset, seat post, bars, etc?

Only need to replace the headset if it doesn't turn. Stem, bars, seatpost -- replace if they're broken or if you need to change them for fit reasons.

errodr 07-14-19 05:22 PM

Oh it's definitely a money pit. The listing was a bit misleading and I got over excited and didn't ask the right questions. I'd have been better off buying a frame only. Live and learn I guess.

wipekitty 07-14-19 09:43 PM

Check the brake pads!

Cyclist0108 07-14-19 09:52 PM

Chain, cassette, brake pads, cables, tires

dylanschaw 07-15-19 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21027121)

It seems to be everything you need)

CliffordK 07-15-19 03:08 AM

I'm with others. Inspect the whole bike for wear. Replace what is overly worn. Clean and lube everything else.

There are a lot of things that can be serviced. For example, most Shimano pedals are quite easy to service if you have the right tools, and replacing bearings, they can turn out as good as new.

goenrdoug 07-15-19 09:45 AM

You could always post a detailed series of pictures and let us all rip it to shreds and argue about how everything (including the frame) needs to be replaced...

rumrunn6 07-15-19 11:36 AM

flip it & buy something else?

JohnJ80 07-16-19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21027121)

add chain rings.

zatopek 07-16-19 04:34 PM

I would disassemble it, clean and inspect it, replace what is obviously worn out, lubricate, reassemble, ride it like it’s your job and then replace chain, cassette, chain rings or other parts if they underperform due to wear. If you care to, please update us on whatever process you undertake. I think it would be useful and informative to all. Good luck. Whatever happens, have fun and enjoy the process of getting to know your new machine.

ThermionicScott 07-16-19 07:23 PM

On a long enough timeline, every part of a bicycle is a wear item.

rumrunn6 07-17-19 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by JohnJ80 (Post 21030508)
add chain rings.

oh man, right?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f82a588180.jpg

JohnJ80 07-17-19 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 21031426)
oh man, right?

Wow! Hard to believe it even worked like that.

I changed my chain once, then threw the bike on the car without checking it. Drove 1100 miles to ride, got on the bike and the chain started skipping. Worn inner chain ring was the culprit and had to spend the day chasing one down.

OneIsAllYouNeed 07-17-19 11:05 AM

On a long enough time scale, everything is a wear item. Frame, fork, hubs, rims, seatposts, saddles, etc -- they all wear out. Just replace the stuff that's currently worn out. If you ride and enjoy the bike, you'll replace the other stuff in time.

For a quick refresh, I'd install new cables, housings, and bar tape. Clean everything so you can find hidden problems (cracks, rust, broken parts, dents, stripped fasteners, etc). Check the chain, brake pads, and tires for wear. Grease or replace any bearings that are dry, loose, or rough. Lubricate (grease, antisieze or carbon paste, as appropriate) the seatpost, too.

rumrunn6 07-17-19 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by JohnJ80 (Post 21031630)
Hard to believe it even worked like that

um ... er ... well ... actually ... I haven't changed it yet. it still works but but I have ground down some of the burs w/ a rotary tool, because I got some chain suck when the rings & chain got muddy, especially w/ the thick gooey kind. btw, not that it matters necessarily, this is actually on a mountain bike. I doubt a road bike chain ring would get so chewed up. I got the bike used last summer. the previous owner said he changed the chain & rear sprockets. guess I should do the chainrings now

Iride01 07-18-19 09:40 AM

Disassemble, clean, rebuild and lube everything you know how to do. If there is very obvious wear in something inexpensive and you can get it today, replace it. Otherwise, just put it all back together, make sure everything is adjusted correctly and ride it.

If you are having problems with something and you can't adjust it out, then consider if it's worn and needs replacing.

If you are going to replace worn things that are not currently giving you problems, then you may as well just replace the whole bike.